time to let go of the collection? decisions decisions...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mainvein

time to let go of the collection? decisions decisions...

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:37 am

Im currently in the middle of a dilemma and i was hoping to get the viewpoints of some fellow collectors, me and the missus are thinking of moving house to be nearer the kids school (and so they can go to the better high school later down the line) and after numerous viewings it is obvious that i need to get rid of a lot of stuff to be in the houses in that area (or win the lottery to get a massive house, or get a big house in the rubbish bit of that area). Basically the same size house as we have in the better area is 50/60k more than my house is worth, and none of them have a ready made games room that i have or even converted lofts, so do i get rid of my collection so my kids can be closer to school and be in a certain catchment area or do i keep everything and hold out for the ultimate house (that i probably still cant afford).

This isnt a sales thread of any sort, i just want to know if anyone on here has actually done the deed and got rid of the lot (my ocd collecting/hoarding nature is finding it a little hard as i know i will want to keep this bit and that bit as i sort through it, so it would have to be a get rid of the lot or not at all - i would have to just keep the mac and current gen and thats it)

I've been back and forth with whether or not to use this as a kickstart to finally sell my stuff and live in a uncluttered way - any help or advice would be really helpful (my missus even though she loves the collection tuts at me when we view houses as i check out every loft to see if it would fit the collection in).

freemonk

Re: time to let go of the collection? decisions decisions...

Post by freemonk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:05 am

It depends on how much you treasure your collection. Personally I just couldn't part with my collection.

You could always rent a space at one of these storage room places. Most are very secure and you can come and go as you please. That way, you can store a majority of your collection there, and you can go back and forth when you fancy playing a certain console/game. Not sure of the price a month, but a small rented area shouldn't cost too much.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:14 am

Is the issue here space or money?
Logged out 15/07/2014.

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 am

If you have an SX-32 or any CD32 games then I think you should definately get rid ;)

Seriously though, you should do whats right for your children. They are clearly more important than a games collection.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:31 am

speed will only really be an issue if the right house comes up now and if ours gets interest (just had it valued and now debating whether to go ahead and do it).

been thinking about the collection a lot recently and kinda feeling overwhelmed by it all, it definitely needs a room of its own, i suppose the hard part is that i've had most of it since i bought new so each machine properly takes me back to that age when i got it, suppose some people have photos i have games

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:01 am

Stick the kids up for adoption and you'll have more than one room for your collection,and more money to spend on a bigger collection.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 am

and i also dont have time to play on any of it anymore (i look after kids in the day and work on an evening), only just had a go on gears 3 last night 3 weeks after i bought it, managed to sneak in one whole hour

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:29 am

If you can afford to move and keep your collection then that is great. After all you can store it somewhere for a while until you get straight. After all your kids would grow up and move on and you will be back to square one. That said, you should always put your kids first but not give up everything if you can avoid it.

If you have that much stuff there must be a lot you will never play again? Maybe skim it down to more of the brilliant and most treasured items.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:32 am

I couldn't part either. Is storage an option? Also, there are some great ways to get stuff up on shelves and under beds!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:50 am

When we were selling our small house, my collection took up too much space, in the end I put it in storage for 4 months, which ultimately made the house look a lot clearer and then sold. Can't say I missed the stuff while it was there. I am forever chipping away at my collection to pay bills, try and make space, we are thinking of more children, so what I can't fit in the loft is going to have to be sold. Certain things like my Snes collection I just won't part with, but the DC games....well they are already up for sale. I am thinking of maybe putting it all in storage again or buying some kind of challet/office room to have at the back of the garden (sadly that cost money, I don't have).

My advice, store what you can and defo want, if you didn't miss it then sell it.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:13 pm

mainvein wrote:and i also dont have time to play on any of it anymore (i look after kids in the day and work on an evening), only just had a go on gears 3 last night 3 weeks after i bought it, managed to sneak in one whole hour
when do you sleep...? :? :D

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Don't part with it unless you feel absolutely certain you've had enough of it all, etc otherwise you'll probably regret it one day. Also, it's something your kids might enjoy or appreciate when they're a bit older :)

I probably don't understand as I don't have children myself, but is it really necessary to move closer to the school if it means having to move into somewhere a lot smaller? The kids are only going to be there for a few years and will then be moving on to another school or college anyway.

If you do move to somewhere smaller options could be converting a shed/garage or loft into your new gaming area?

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 pm

I sold my collection but I sold it because I wanted to not because I felt that I had to.

Personally if you like space then sell the collection, I don't like small spaces anymore and I don't like the inconvenience of having stuff everywhere, that is why I am happy selling my games and consoles, money is good too but space is an important thing when living.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Im lost here....

Sell the collection so you can get a better place near better schools or keep the collection and hold out for the prefect house (not that there is ever a perfect house)

There is no decision to make, well not one that I can see. The future of your children and the opportunities afforded to them through the standard of education available to them are priceless, you gaming collection on the other hand may be worth something, but at the end of the day its merely dust collection material.

I know I'd much rather my kids go to a better school than not.

DoctorForbin

Post by DoctorForbin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:24 pm

that must be quite an impressive collection to make a dent in the price of any house.

I stopped collecting about a year ago - strictly a buy-to-play man now - but I don't think I could bear to sell my collection - mainly as it's worth so little.
THERE...IS...ANOTHER...SYSTEM......