Steve Jobs RIP

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

freemonk

Re: Steve Jobs RIP

Post by freemonk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:37 am

Gutted! He was an absolute genius, and if it wasn't for him and the company he founded, we wouldn't have some of the best technology and entertainment we have today.

Everyone automatically thinks either the iPod or the iPhone when you think of Steve Jobs and Apple, but rememeber that if it wasn't for Steve Jobs there wouldn't be a certain company called Pixar and a movie called Toy Story.

RIP Steve!
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:46 am

A very sad day for the industry indeed. R.I.P Mr Jobs.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:04 am

RIP Steve Jobs.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:35 am

Classy tweet from the Westboro Baptist Church (though I'd expect no less from the subhuman scum)

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:11 am

freemonk wrote:Everyone automatically thinks either the iPod or the iPhone when you think of Steve Jobs and Apple, but rememeber that if it wasn't for Steve Jobs there wouldn't be a certain company called Pixar and a movie called Toy Story.

RIP Steve!
I'll be picky and say that while Steve did an excellent job at Pixar he didn't create it. Lucasfilm created Pixar to run alongside their ILM studio (mainly to provide Rendering computers and tech) 7 years before Steve bought it from them AFTER he left Apple.

So, buying it from George Lucas for $5 million to selling it to Disney for $7.4 Billion was Steve's greatest contribution! :lol:
That, and having some of the greatest family movies around. :)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:15 am

Freestyler wrote:I'll be picky and say that while Steve did an excellent job at Pixar he didn't create it. Lucasfilm created Pixar to run alongside their ILM studio (mainly to provide Rendering computers and tech) 7 years before Steve bought it from them AFTER he left Apple.
That's semantics. For all intents and purposes, he did 'create' Pixar, in the sense that he took it and nurtured it, turning it from nothing into the greatest studio of its kind. In a sense, it's no different to what he did elsewhere: see a great idea that is under-performing, understand how it could and should be done, and do that instead. The desktop computer and GUI; the MP3 player; the smartphone; the tablet. Sometimes the genius isn't in the birth, but in the shaping and nurturing, and I can't think of another figure in technology who was better at that than Jobs. He will be sorely missed.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:40 am

Thought I would repost this from another forum I go on...
Despite being bemused by the devotion towards Apple and Jobs, I found this pretty gross:
http://www.naturalnews.com/033793_Steve ... erapy.html
Scummy alternative medicine peddlars using his death to promote their nonsense agenda.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:50 am

Sad news that somebody big in the technology industry has gone, never been a fan of Apple, but all credit to the guy for what he had accomplished in his life.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:58 am

I hate Apple (just personal taste), but you can't knock what Steve Jobs achieved from a business perspective.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:23 am

^What about apple pie?

Or as they call it aPlle pIe

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:48 am

I liked this Tweet : 3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head & the one that Steve built. RIP Steve Jobs

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:17 am

the_hawk wrote:Classy tweet from the Westboro Baptist Church (though I'd expect no less from the subhuman scum)

We, the collective super-consciousness known as ANONYMOUS - the Voice of Free Speech & the Advocate of the People - have long heard you issue your venomous statements of hatred, and we have witnessed your flagrant and absurd displays of inimitable bigotry and intolerant fanaticism. We have always regarded you and your ilk as an assembly of graceless sociopaths and maniacal chauvinists & religious zealots, however benign, who act out for the sake of attention & in the name of religion.

Being such aggressive proponents for the Freedom of Speech & Freedom of Information as we are, we have hitherto allowed you to continue preaching your benighted gospel of hatred and your theatrical exhibitions of, not only your fascist views, but your utter lack of Christ-like attributes. You have condemned the men and women who serve, fight, and perish in the armed forces of your nation; you have prayed for and celebrated the deaths of young children, who are without fault; you have stood outside the United States National Holocaust Museum, condemning the men, women, and children who, despite their innocence, were annihilated by a tyrannical embodiment of fascism and unsubstantiated repugnance. Rather than allowing the deceased some degree of peace and respect, you instead choose to torment, harass, and assault those who grieve.

Your demonstrations and your unrelenting cascade of disparaging slurs, unfounded judgments, and prejudicial innuendos, which apparently apply to every individual numbered amongst the race of Man - except for yourselves - has frequently crossed the line which separates Freedom of Speech from deliberately utilizing the same tactics and methods of intimidation and mental & emotional abuse that have been previously exploited and employed by tyrants and dictators, fascists and terrorist organizations throughout history.

ANONYMOUS cannot abide this behavior any longer. The time for us to be idle spectators in your inhumane treatment of fellow Man has reached its apex, and we shall now be moved to action. Thus, we give you a warning: Cease & desist your protest campaign in the year 2011, return to your homes in Kansas, & close your public Web sites. Should you ignore this warning, you will meet with the vicious retaliatory arm of ANONYMOUS: We will target your public Websites, and the propaganda & detestable doctrine that you promote will be eradicated; the damage incurred will be irreversible, and neither your institution nor your congregation will ever be able to fully recover. It is in your best interest to comply now, while the option to do so is still being offered, because we will not relent until you cease the conduction & promotion of all your bigoted operations & doctrines.

The warning has been given. What happens from here shall be determined by you.

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:21 am

R.I.P Steve Jobs - my thoughs go out to your friends and family on this sad day :(
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:42 am

WBC dont do UK ones.
Thats a shame as id like to do some trolling with the works of Douglas N Adams, while wearing a "Lemmy is god" T-shirt

Also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5hRLbCaCs
Foo Fighters did something fun

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 am

That ANONYMOUS letter is fantastic. Hope they stick to what they said in it!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/