retro gaming related survey - please help!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retrogamingmuseum

retro gaming related survey - please help!

Post by retrogamingmuseum » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:36 am

Hello everyone. I'm conducting some market research for a new retro gaming related venture which myself and a few others hope to open in London in the near future. If any of you fellows have a spare five minutes perhaps you could post replies with your answers as the responses will be hugely helpful in making a success of the venture. As a thank you I will enter any respondees from this (and one or two other forums I will be posting this on) into a prize draw for £25 to spend in my retro games ebay shop.

I'm also hoping to hand out this questionnaire at Replay if allowed, so if you're going look out for me and I'll tell you all about it if you're interested! Thanks in advance.

1. Are you more interested in? A: Modern Gaming, B:Retro Gaming

2. What are your top five games of all time?

3. Would you generally be interested in participating in a tournament with a cash prize for any of these games, with entry at £5 and a prize of around £150-200? A: Very likely, B: Likely, C: Possibly, D: Unlikely, E: Very Unlikely.

4. Do you compete in video gaming tournaments and competitions currently?

5. What are your top three classic favourite gaming sytems?

6. Do you own any of these original systems?

7. If so how often do you play on any of these systems? A: Very Often, B: Regularly, C: Occasionally, D: Rarely, E: Very Rarely or Never.

8. When playing classic games which of the following do you prefer? A: The Original Hardware, B: Emulators, C: Mobile Phone.

9. What are your two preferred gaming genres? A: RPG, B: FPS, C: Sports, D: Strategy/Sim, E:Platform, F:RTS, G: Other.

10. How likely would you be to visit a comprehensive London-based museum dedicated to classic video gaming? A: Very likely, B: Likely, C: Possibly, D: Unlikely, E: Very Unlikely.

11. How much would you be willing to pay for entry to this museum? A: £4 or less. B:£5-6 C:£7-8 £9-10

12. For this price, how many playable systems & cabinets would you expect to see? A: 5-10 B: 10-15 C: 15-20, D: 20+

13. Do you buy any of the following? A: Retro games, B: Consoles, C: Peripherals.

14. Assuming the same price, which method would be your preferred choice to buy these items? A: Online, B: In a shop.

15. Are there any specific items that would encourage you to visit the store?
London's only dedicated Retro Gaming shop - Retro Game Base 430 Streatham High Rd, SW16 3PX http://www.retrogamebase.co.uk http://www.facebook.com/retrogamebase

NintendoLegend

Re: retro gaming related survey - please help!

Post by NintendoLegend » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:50 am

B: Retro Gaming

1. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
3. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
4. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
5. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)

3. Would you generally be interested in participating in a tournament with a cash prize for any of these games, with entry at £5 and a prize of around £150-200? A: Very likely, B: Likely, C: Possibly, D: Unlikely, E: Very Unlikely.

B: if it was within reasonable driving distance, D if it's just randomly anywhere.

I have before, but not currently.

Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, SNES. Yeah, a little fanboy bias here...

Only the NES, currently. I am assuming this question is referring to my answers for #5? The use of "original" is confusing here. The wording could be improved for clarity's sake.

7. If so how often do you play on any of these systems? A: Very Often, B: Regularly, C: Occasionally, D: Rarely, E: Very Rarely or Never.

B.

8. When playing classic games which of the following do you prefer? A: The Original Hardware, B: Emulators, C: Mobile Phone.

I prefer A.

9. What are your two preferred gaming genres? A: RPG, B: FPS, C: Sports, D: Strategy/Sim, E:Platform, F:RTS, G: Other.

A and E.

10. How likely would you be to visit a comprehensive London-based museum dedicated to classic video gaming? A: Very likely, B: Likely, C: Possibly, D: Unlikely, E: Very Unlikely.

E.

11. How much would you be willing to pay for entry to this museum? A: £4 or less. B:£5-6 C:£7-8 £9-10

If I was actually there, I'd pay whatever. D.

12. For this price, how many playable systems & cabinets would you expect to see? A: 5-10 B: 10-15 C: 15-20, D: 20+

I would not have an expectation.

13. Do you buy any of the following? A: Retro games, B: Consoles, C: Peripherals.

A., yes.

14. Assuming the same price, which method would be your preferred choice to buy these items? A: Online, B: In a shop.

Would prefer in a shop (no shipping!).

Yes.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:02 am

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
2. Rollcage: Stage II
3. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
4. After Burner Climax
5. Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3DX+

A: Very likely

No, not really.

1. Sega Mega Drive
2. Sony Playstation
3. Sinclair ZX Spectrum

All of them.

A: for Playstation, D: for others.

B: when up to scratch.

E: Platform and G: (Arcade) Racing (don't you dare try to say it comes under "Sports")

E: Very unlikely

A: £4 or less

For that price? A: 5-10

Yes.

A: Online

A discount?
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:19 am

1: Starquake - Spectrum
2: R-Type - Any
3: Barbarian - Spectrum
4: Streets of Rage II - MD
5: Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure - GB

C: Possibly

No

Nintendo Game Boy
Sega Mega Drive
Sinclair Spectrum

6. Do you own any of these original systems

Used to

Never. Only emulation.

A: The original hardware

E: Platform, B: FPS

B: £5-6

C: 15-20

None

B: In a shop

More hard to find items at the right prices
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm

1. Are you more interested in?
A: Modern Gaming

1. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
2. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
3. Lost Odyssey (360)
4. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
4. Tomb Raider (PS1)

3. Would you generally be interested in participating in a tournament with a cash prize for any of these games, with entry at £5 and a prize of around £150-200?
C: Possibly - but they're not exactly tournament games...

Only when I go to gaming events.

1. NES
2. PlayStation
3. SNES

Yes, all three of them.

7. If so how often do you play on any of these systems?
C: Occasionally

8. When playing classic games which of the following do you prefer?
A: The Original Hardware

9. What are your two preferred gaming genres?
A: RPG
E: Platform

10. How likely would you be to visit a comprehensive London-based museum dedicated to classic video gaming?
C: Possibly

11. How much would you be willing to pay for entry to this museum?
C: £7-8

12. For this price, how many playable systems & cabinets would you expect to see?
D: 20+

Yes, all three.

14. Assuming the same price, which method would be your preferred choice to buy these items?
B: In a shop.

Complete & good condition games and consoles. Rarities and imports especially.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:46 pm

1 - International Karate +
2 - Championship Manager 93
3 - Frontier: Elite 2
4 - Bubble Bobble
5 - Morrowind

Rarely.

1 - Atari ST
2 - Game Boy
3 - Mega Drive

Yes, all three.

A: Very often.

A: Original Hardware.

D: Strategy/Sim and A: RPG

C: 7-8

All three.

B: In a shop.

Atari ST software and hardware, good prices on other stuff.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:38 am

1. Are you more interested in? B:Retro Gaming

Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Doom 2
Duke Nukem 3d
Super Mario Bros 3
Wipeout

3. Would you generally be interested in participating in a tournament with a cash prize for any of these games, with entry at £5 and a prize of around £150-200? C: Possibly,

4. Do you compete in video gaming tournaments and competitions currently? NO

5. What are your top three classic favourite gaming sytems? NES , MEGA DRIVE , PLAYSTATION

6. Do you own any of these original systems? YES ALL OF THEM

7. If so how often do you play on any of these systems? A: Very Often (EVERY DAY)

8. When playing classic games which of the following do you prefer? A: The Original Hardware (no contest)

9. What are your two preferred gaming genres? B: FPS E:Platform

10. How likely would you be to visit a comprehensive London-based museum dedicated to classic video gaming? C: Possibly

11. How much would you be willing to pay for entry to this museum? A: £4 or less. B:£5-6

12. For this price, how many playable systems & cabinets would you expect to see? C: 15-20

13. Do you buy any of the following? A: Retro games, B: Consoles, C: Peripherals. - ALL

14. Assuming the same price, which method would be your preferred choice to buy these items? A: Online

[/b][/quote] retro magazine.. but mainly decent prices.. retro shops always ask too much.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:56 am

Diffine

Undecided

E

No

2600, Mega Drive, Ps2

Wut?

b

A, c is for chumps

Pass

>London

>London

>London

Yes

C) Inde game shop

Staff that have a basic know how of what there selling

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 am

Not such an easy question to define.

I like to play games I like!

I play modern and retro.

Depends on my mood.

Probably vear slightly on the retro side.

GTA series (on the pc, this game needs mouse/keyboard, yes I buy the 6 month early console versions (and bought a ps2 just for that!) but i probably don;t play proper until the pc version!)
Jedi Knight (I really need to put together a retro PC with a voodoo to play it right (looked better under voodoo @ 16bit colour than ati at 32bit if you ask me!)
Final Fantasy series (particularly 7, sorry 7 haters! ;-) it was good)
Wipeout 2097 (game I bought a ps for!)
Monkey Island series (good adventures in general but these were the ultimate!)

D - have you seen my cash flow (feel free to offer me beers to change my mind!)

No, just for fun!

PC (it has been going a long time so it counts!)
Speccy
Amiga

Yup, all of them (pc's of all ages around here included!)

B. However I do emulate more often if applicable.

Is not B & C the same option?

Anyhow:

B if they are up to it else A.

Depends on what I want to play. Is SCUMMVM an emulator? not really. but it is the best way to play such things.

A & D (was tempted by other slightly because I liek to mess with the flaws in questionaires!)

D - Pretty much the same for London in general.

A. unless there were freebies!

Systems/cabinets are seperate entities. A "cabinet" could house multiple systems if done right.

Anyhow.

B.

However I would expect more expect a ammount per enterants to enable all to have a go. (So it would depen on the ammount of people in it!)

Yes.

Can someone not come around and offer me things?

Ok. B.

A good selection of things i like and not 16.7 million ea sports games ;-)

retrogamingmuseum

Post by retrogamingmuseum » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies so far, very useful stuff!
London's only dedicated Retro Gaming shop - Retro Game Base 430 Streatham High Rd, SW16 3PX http://www.retrogamebase.co.uk http://www.facebook.com/retrogamebase

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Tough one, interested I'd say 50/50, but I PLAY more modern

I really hate this question, changes every day

Command & Conquer Red Alert (PC)
X-Wing Alliance (PC)
Goldeneye (N64)
Sonic 2 (MD)
Beyond Good and Evil (XB)

C

I don't make a point of it, but if at an event then it's fun to get involved.

Master System, Mega Drive, SNES

All

Regularly

ORIGINAL!!!

FPS, Platform

A

B

D

All

B

Arcade cabinets - this is important - anyone can sell games online, but if you want to bring all the boys to the yard you need something extra.
Demo kiosks
It's nice seeing retro stuff on the shelves, decked out with posters etc.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Hard to answer as I like both

Sonic The Hedgehog (Mega Drive)
Tony Hawkes Underground (Mega Drive)
Fable III (XBox360)
Tomb Raider (pc)
Mr Do in whatever form i can find it :wink:

C: Possibly if in the right location/situation

Only if pushed into it

Mega Drive, Gameboy, PC (as mentioned above)

Yes and others

D: Rarely at home but would play them at an event

A: Original Hardware if available

A: RPG and E: Platform

D: Unlikely because its in London unless a special event/tournament was on

Would depend. I'd pay more if part of an organised event but I suppose B: £5-£6 otherwise

C: 15-20

If money allows - all

wouldn't specify as both would be fine - no preference

Discounts, Reasonable prices, the chance to try them out first

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Both.

1. Outrun (Arcade)
2. Burnout Paradise (PS3)
3. Transport Tycoon Deluxe (OpenTTD) (PC)
4. The Tablets of Hippocrates (Commodore Plus 4)
5. Mashed Fully Loaded (XBox/PS2)

C: Possibly - although I would have no chance of winning!

No, cos I am crap at games.

1. Commodore Plus 4
2. Atari 2600
3. Tatung Einstein

Yes, all of them.

C: Occasionally

A: The Original Hardware

D: Strategy/Sim
G: Other

B: Likely

A: £4 or less.

A: Retro games
B: Consoles
C: Peripherals

A: Online

Reasonable Price. What I am after and looking for. Free Delivery. Guarantee.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:44 pm

B:Retro Gaming is more 'interesting', in as far as reading about the history and development etc but I play both.

I couldn't name a top 5, its constantly changing. Gameboy Tetris would be up there along with Deathchase, but beyond that is anyone's guess.

E: Very Unlikely

No, but I did actively participate in The Retro League for a couple of years.

Vectrex, Spectrum, C64.

All

B: Regularly if you're counting emulation, C: Occasionally if not.

I prefer real hardware, but most often emulate. Mobile Phone is never even considered, I have a netbook, PSP and DS with proper controls for emulation on the go.

G and G, as I'll go with 3rd person shooters/shmups and racing games.

E: Very Unlikely

£9-10

20+

All

B: In a shop

Move it a few hundred miles North across the border?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:03 am

i am fine with both

in no particular other

vampire bloodlines
jedi academy
oblivion
fable 2
spyro 2
and many more more then i can name here

no i play video games for entertainment and relaxation if i want to make money off it il just sell a few games

no dont wont too either

sega saturn
sega dreamcast
sony playstation

yes all three but i play ps1 games on my ps2

regularly

the orginal hardware always

rpg and other

possibly id be playing tourist anyway

5-6

10-15 or whatever is feesable

yes all three

in a shop
i can see what i buy

no ridicilous over inflated prices just because its retro
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !