Eurogamer Expo 22-25 September 2011 Earls Court London

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Eurogamer Expo 22-25 September 2011 Earls Court London

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:19 pm

wasn't the speccy connected to the divide still? You only had to press the button at the back (or ask someone) and bing! 50 playable games in an instant!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:22 pm

I would have though it easier to use nice RGB scart cables to save all that tuning in! I'm sure the chap at Retro Gaming Cables would give a discount if they bought a load for SMS, MD, Neo Geo etc. N64/SNES/GC are all identical connectors too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:23 pm

storm_maker wrote:
This only things I want to moan about (I am a moaner by nature)

1. I was annoyed to see all the home computers lined up with their popular games whilst the Spectrum sat around with a command prompt all day (really made me wish I had a Speccy game on me, I would've loaded it up myself)

2. The consoles didn't have very good set-up's (I think you guys were doing your bit for making the N64's look as bad as possible with whatever you where using, it looked hideous). Not to be funny, but I kind of don't expect expo's to have much, much worse set-ups than I have at home.
What day did you go? The Speccy had been working on Thurs and I think Fri but I did not notice it not working on Sat.

As for the set ups, can you explain what on earth you're on about? How did we make the N64 look as bad as possible? What looked hideous?

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm

the speccy was working fine all day friday, I was constantly setting up different games to show off the marvellous invention.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:27 pm

jdanddiet wrote:wasn't the speccy connected to the divide still? You only had to press the button at the back (or ask someone) and bing! 50 playable games in an instant!
What the heck is a divide still? LOL

I reset the machine, and I poked at the ribbon cable thing coming out of the back but wasn't going to risk going any further :lol:

Either way, it doesn't seem as though anyone knew what it did, as I said before I kept returning to the Spectrum all day, and there were never any games onscreen, people were just fiddling with "print" and "run" statements.
boggyb68 wrote:What day did you go? The Speccy had been working on Thurs and I think Fri but I did not notice it not working on Sat.
I was there on Saturday
boggyb68 wrote:As for the set ups, can you explain what on earth you're on about? How did we make the N64 look as bad as possible? What looked hideous?
It was ill defined and ridiculously fuzzy and washed out, god knows what was being used, like I said before, it was absolutely hideous looking, very, very poor quality.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:30 pm

^^ that's completely normal :wink:

A divide is a fantastic little gizmo that attaches to the spectrum at the back. It holds as many games as you like in its memory that can then be loaded instantly via an on-screen menu.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:40 pm

jdanddiet wrote:^^ that's completely normal :wink:
No, good N64 games look smooth, but slightly blurred, they do not look fuzzy.

All I can think of was that it was using some kind of poor quality bare bones RF set-up to a low quality TV.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

Arcadian

Post by Arcadian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Few replies:

- on Saturday morning it seems that somebody decided to yank the DivIDE out of the Speccy to take a closer look (we found it disconnected, lying on the table). Unfortunately this appeared to cause the contents of the CF-Card to be wiped, and we didn't have the equipment with us to re-flash the contents. On Sunday it was replaced with a spare Beeb.

- the second N64 in the Multiplayer Area (or 'Replay Lounge') was originally running on a CRT and looked decent, but (another) one of the Competition CRTs started playing up, so we had to swap it for a 27in LCD ... which admittedly looked hideous (we've acquired a Jap N64 and will be RGB modding that in time for Replay proper).

- as for Scart cables, I believe all consoles/computers were running off SCART or RGB cables with the exception of the Pong machines.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Ok that's cool, seems I was just unlucky with my timing :(

Again, great job overall, thoroughly enjoyed it.

consolepassion

Post by consolepassion » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 pm

storm_maker wrote:It was ill defined and ridiculously fuzzy and washed out, god knows what was being used, like I said before, it was absolutely hideous looking, very, very poor quality.
It was run through a standard composite cable. There is no native RGB on PAL N64.

AndyB
Console Passion Retro Games - Consoles, Games, Imports, Modifications & More!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:20 pm

storm_maker wrote:1. I was annoyed to see all the home computers lined up with their popular games whilst the Spectrum sat around with a command prompt all day (really made me wish I had a Speccy game on me, I would've loaded it up myself)
If we had thought about it we would have brought some tapes just in case the DivIDE failed, but we were so busy planning all the rest of the stuff that it slipped through the net and unfortunately Gamestation don't stock Speccy tapes :-(

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:43 pm

The Replay area is shown on the Inside Xbox featured video ( EG Expo highlights) on the Xbox dashboard.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:50 pm

consolepassion wrote:It was run through a standard composite cable. There is no native RGB on PAL N64.
There's native S-Video though, and S-Video is massively superior to Composite

Still, its quite probable that the N64 I noticed was the one switched to the LCD anyway.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:44 pm

storm_maker wrote:
consolepassion wrote:It was run through a standard composite cable. There is no native RGB on PAL N64.
There's native S-Video though, and S-Video is massively superior to Composite

Still, its quite probable that the N64 I noticed was the one switched to the LCD anyway.

Are you coming to Replay?

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:02 pm

SirClive wrote: I see we retro gamers are still doing what we do best... Judging something modern without trying it first!!!
Haven't tried out the OnLive yet as I thought it was wireless, but it isn't. Will have to find my home plug adapters before I can have a go. Maybe later, but I have GOW3 to play so probably not!
>Paying to not own games.

Yup thats what I hate