Eurogamer Expo 22-25 September 2011 Earls Court London

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

witchfinder

Re: Eurogamer Expo 22-25 September 2011 Earls Court London

Post by witchfinder » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:42 pm

So what exactly did boggy do to end up in hospital? :shock:
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Just got back from Earls Court, had a great day. The Replay section was very well stocked (my fave was Chuckie Egg on the BBC Micro) and ram packed with people, which was good to see.

Interesting to see the Sega and Nintendo stands almost 100% dedicated to retro franchises, including:

Sonic Generations
Kid Icarus
Mario Kart
Zelda Skyward Sword
Super Mario 3DS

Either this is a tribute to the enduring nature of these classics, or a lack of imagination on the part of the big players. Either way it works for me!

Elsewhere the queues were all for the FPS fans, not my bag really. Did get a go on Batman Arkham City, my favourite game of the show and the only current gen game I will be buying on release this year - its everything the first game was and more. Also had a play with the team deathmatch on Assasins Creed, which was great fun.

Huge queue for Elder Scrolls Skyrim, not a franchise I have tried before, but I am tempted. The game looked great on that huge array of high end Samsung LED TV's and was the stand out exhibit of he show.

All in all a very good day, and looking forward to going again next year. Just about retro enough for me!
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

thl

Post by thl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Really enjoyed it yesterday. Haven't been to Earls Court for a long time as it's always the venue for these events. Can't believe how big it was as there were so much to see there.

About time I get to play Modern Warfare 3 as I'm completely blown away by it. Didn't get to play the multiplayer on Battlefield 3 as the queue kept increasing, so I had to settle with the campaign mode. Also had a go on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2012. :)

Great to met Arcadian, boggyb68, and retrogamefest again. Finally met SirClive, pforson, and of course mohicankid (for the first time) in which I surprised him with my unusual introduction. Great guy to chat with as we enjoyed those conversations. Plus I donated the Gameboy, Game Gear and few games as it comes useful for the lucky dip. Did had a chat with SirClive too as we discussed about Liverpool FC and their season so far. Pity that I didn't saw Sami_Cetin, jdanddiet and few others who were there few days ago. That's okay as we'll meet again at forthcoming events.

Well done guys. You done a great job bringing Replay Retro Zone to London. Hope it's back next year.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:33 am

witchfinder wrote:So what exactly did boggy do to end up in hospital? :shock:
Claimed the C64 was better than the Speccy.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:42 am

Back in the office with a bump after a long weekend in London :D

The Replay stand was excellent and definitely a highlight of the show. Well done to all involved in setting it up.

I had an unfortunate conversation with a couple of lads looking at the spectrum +2. They said "Haha! It has a tape player, is that because the games had no sound so you put some music on?" Explaining what it was for made me feel about 100 years old :cry:

Enjoyed chatting with everyone again, shame I couldn't stick around all day. After seeing BoggyB's tooth I should probably be relieved that I wasn't along for the night out too ;)

Looking forward to Blackpool!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 am

The show was fantastic. I got to try Batman Arkham City, FIFA 12, PES2012, PSVITA, Saints Row the 3rd, NFS Unbounded, Forza 4, Uncharted 3, Sonic Generations and also got a free OnLive console.

Of course the retro zone was the highlight and a massive thanks has to go to everyone who helped out (but especially to Mohicankid, Retrogamesfest and Samwise). The number of people asking where they could get a vectrex was crazy. I even saw a lad of about 14 saying that Minestorm was the best game he had ever played!!

The Eurogamer guys seemed to really like what we did with the retro zone so hopefully we will be back again next year.

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:40 am

Nice work guys, credit to you all..

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 am

SirClive wrote:The show was fantastic. I got to try Batman Arkham City, FIFA 12, PES2012, PSVITA, Saints Row the 3rd, NFS Unbounded, Forza 4, Uncharted 3, Sonic Generations and also got a free OnLive console.

Of course the retro zone was the highlight and a massive thanks has to go to everyone who helped out (but especially to Mohicankid, Retrogamesfest and Samwise). The number of people asking where they could get a vectrex was crazy. I even saw a lad of about 14 saying that Minestorm was the best game he had ever played!!

The Eurogamer guys seemed to really like what we did with the retro zone so hopefully we will be back again next year.
This sums up my experience of the weekend.. was a great show and I thought our stand was the best in the place.

Only downside was me damaging myself.. I will always defend the C64! ;)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

samwise

Post by samwise » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Aye, a good four days it was.

I'm only sorry that my own circumstances meant I couldn't stay any later than I did on the last night to to be there at the end of the packing up.

It was great to meet the rest of the team - though I was amazed to discover that we'd all decided to wear the same T-shirt design. What were the chances? I was also surprised by just how many people came down and got involved - from those who came down to run competitions, to the cosplay team (metal gear solid crew in the house!) and the others I've inevitably forgotten in the blur of the last few days. Special props to Retrogamefest for being an epic drinking companion over the last few evenings :lol: and SirClive and Andy for sorting us out last-minute tickets to the pub do over the weekend. Props to Mohicankid for being able to beg, cajole and half-inch everything in sight for his charity raffle. Scarily efficient, but the haul looked impressive by last night - if he was able to get it past security. :D Finally, if the other Pete is reading - I owe you a banana. ;)

Getting and keeping that many systems up and running for the duration of the whole show was no easy and feat, but I think we managed to pull off a pretty respectable performance given the age of everything that was running and I'll be surprised if the other exhibitors didn't have just as many of their own similar tales. I also think the coveted competition trophies from the retrozone were, if anything, being fought over more than many of the more modern titles in other parts of the building.

As well as all the other thanks and shout outs posted here already, I'll personally raise a glass to the venerable Vectrex which gave its life after soldiering on for over two days of useful service, before finally giving up the ghost on Saturday ...

Sam.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Edwards80 wrote:I had an unfortunate conversation with a couple of lads looking at the spectrum +2. They said "Haha! It has a tape player, is that because the games had no sound so you put some music on?" Explaining what it was for made me feel about 100 years old :cry:
:lol:

Sounds like a cracking weekend, sorry I missed it... :(
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm

SirClive wrote:also got a free OnLive console.
They have to give it away already?
Id of took the damn thing out side.
Shouted "DOWN WITH CLOUD GAMING"
Smashed it then shouted "Viva the revolution"

"Down with this sort of thing"

Then burn the sodding thing.

Probably for the best I didnt go

consolepassion

Post by consolepassion » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 am

witchfinder wrote:So what exactly did boggy do to end up in hospital? :shock:
He fell up some stairs!

I would just personally like to thank everyone who helped out, it was definately the best show we (Replay Events) have done to date and everyone should be really proud of how much of a success we all made it.

See you all in Blackpool!

AndyB
Console Passion Retro Games - Consoles, Games, Imports, Modifications & More!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:47 am

DPrinny wrote:
SirClive wrote:also got a free OnLive console.
They have to give it away already?
Id of took the damn thing out side.
Shouted "DOWN WITH CLOUD GAMING"
Smashed it then shouted "Viva the revolution"

"Down with this sort of thing"

Then burn the sodding thing.

Probably for the best I didnt go
I see we retro gamers are still doing what we do best... Judging something modern without trying it first!!!
Haven't tried out the OnLive yet as I thought it was wireless, but it isn't. Will have to find my home plug adapters before I can have a go. Maybe later, but I have GOW3 to play so probably not!

Arcadian

Post by Arcadian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 am

Check these pics out ...

Yep, that's Jon Hare playing Amiga Sensi and Martin Hollis playing N64 Goldeneye. At the same time. HOW cool???

Anyway, just to echo what Gord and Andy said above - an amazing week in London and absolutely brilliant backing once again from the [ever expanding!] Replay Crew.

No way could we pull this kind of thing off without such wonderful support. A raised glass to uberpixel (photography), pforson, jdanddiet, ukretrogameaddict + bro, edwards80 + Amy, Sami Cetin, handbakedarcade and of course Gary & Lawrence from RetroGT for prize donations. Oh, and Vinny for loaning the PS 2 w/ Arcade sticks.

EXTRA special thanks are due to Samwise, Retrogamefest, BoggyB and the one and only Mohicankid - all of whom stuck around the whole week with the exception of MHK - who has in fact been with us for TWO whole weeks (as he staffed the entirety of GAMEfest at the NEC, too!).

I think I've mentioned everybody that posts on RG but apols if I'm missed anyone!

Ok, time to get some photos sorted out ... !

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:10 pm

I was very pleasantly surprised to see all the retro consoles brought to Eurogamer this year, I've been dragged to the event by my friends every year, and instead of trudging around watching people que up to play First Person Shooters this year I actually had a good time playing games! spent ages playing Tempest 2000.

This only things I want to moan about (I am a moaner by nature)

1. I was annoyed to see all the home computers lined up with their popular games whilst the Spectrum sat around with a command prompt all day (really made me wish I had a Speccy game on me, I would've loaded it up myself)

2. The consoles didn't have very good set-up's (I think you guys were doing your bit for making the N64's look as bad as possible with whatever you where using, it looked hideous). Not to be funny, but I kind of don't expect expo's to have much, much worse set-ups than I have at home.

Other than that fantastic job! and I hope to see the same thing every year from now on.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over