9/11 Ten Years On!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

resident paul

9/11 Ten Years On!

Post by resident paul » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:33 pm

It's one of the most emotional days of my life & there is still a threat 10yrs on.
I was wondering what's your thoughts on this?

Megamixer

Re: 9/11 Ten Years On!

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Can't believe it's been ten years already. I remember coming home from school and seeing it live on TV as the first tower suddenly went down. Couldn't believe what I was seeing and it's certainly the worst thing I have ever seen :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:48 pm

More people die in natural disasters all over the world, I find it sad that this gets the world's attention every year whereas other countries disasters pale in comparison.

I was a kid when they went down, remember watching it in school and wondering what the big deal was :oops: and all those conspiracy theories too...well, who knows what happened..

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:48 pm

It hasn't been ten years since it started surely?

That bloody clown car sketch is funny censored

(Yeah I am aware that its about some towers falling after some nutters drove some planes into them)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:51 pm

Rayne wrote:More people die in natural disasters all over the world, I find it sad that this gets the world's attention every year whereas other countries disasters pale in comparison.
Well yeah but it was just the fact that some sick f*cks flew 2 planeloads of innocent passengers into two towers of innocent occupants and blew the whole lot to hell. It was just horrible to watch.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:54 pm

^You didnt have to watch it you know.

Ok it was hard not to as it was on EVERY SODDING CHANNEL at the time

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Rayne wrote:.... and all those conspiracy theories too...well, who knows what happened..
There are still people who refuse to believe that any Arabs were involved at all. Despite the admission of responsibility by Al Qaeda, and all the evidence supporting the fact that those 19 men were responsible and had planned and deliberately executed this criminal act.

As to why it gets so much attention, in all seriousness why do you think? 3000 people were murdered by a militant islamic group, which changed the course of history and caused two wars, leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands more people.
You might not care, but there are millions of people who do, very much so.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:01 pm

^Well at the end of the day its the fault of religion.
So much death caused over things that dont exist.(

Thing is if people want to blow them selfs up over it cant they do it in private? Or at least be a use by playing real life Minesweeper

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:04 pm

It's obviously a sensitive topic for most, so I won't get into detail over the various theories and stories that are out there

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:27 pm

I remember that day very clearly, I had a rare day off so a few of my mates were coming over then we were going to 10 pin bowling...it was unlimited for £5 during the day. Anyway, I'd just got in with a mate and put the TV on and the first tower was on fire, everyone thought it was just a plane crash, next thing we watch this other plane come into view and you all know the rest...it was surreal, I couldn't believe what I was watching. I phoned other mates who were driving over to put on the radio as it was completely unprecedented.

We still went to the bowling, watched it on the big screen.

Thinking about it now the impact of the whole thing was bigger than a natual disaster as we all saw everything unfold in real time. I have to admit I have no interest in the TV shows about grieving relatives and all that.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:32 pm

I remember it well too - was fishing with a mate and got few calls so we headed back to watch the news.

It's still uncomfortable to watch the coverage, especially what have become known as "The Jumpers"; there's been an interesting video about them on the BBC website and it made me look elsewhere too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 pm

After catching up with all the horrific stuff that had been going on that day (a few hours after the event, didn't see or know about any of it as it was happening) and worrying about the huge repercussions of this for the future etc, I just remember switching over to the 'Blue Planet' series David Attenborough had on at the time in the evening and just being immensely glad of the escapism and something else more pleasant to watch for an hour. :(
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:It was just horrible to watch.
I thought it made fantastic viewing! Really awesome telly. The only time I can say telly has been truly incredible to watch.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:41 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:Thinking about it now the impact of the whole thing was bigger than a natual disaster as we all saw everything unfold in real time. I have to admit I have no interest in the TV shows about grieving relatives and all that.
I don't watch those either but I think one this week showed people with health problems or even those that are dying because they got caught in the dustcloud on street level. Must have been all the asbestos from the buildings.

I has really changed our world because in the decade since then, all that's on the news is the middle east, terrorists and reports on bombs going off in foreign countries.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Rayne wrote:More people die in natural disasters all over the world, I find it sad that this gets the world's attention every year whereas other countries disasters pale in comparison.
That's because those are natural disasters, not the malicious intent of a third party.

Feel for everyone involved, inspired by the people on flight 93.
Crunchy wrote:
Megamixer wrote:It was just horrible to watch.
I thought it made fantastic viewing! Really awesome telly. The only time I can say telly has been truly incredible to watch.
-neg rep
Logged out 15/07/2014.