NES Problem

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ZeroCipher

NES Problem

Post by ZeroCipher » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 pm

I have the grey screen & flashing power light with some games

I think it's the games, what do you guys use to clean the cart connectors?
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

tekaotaku

Re: NES Problem

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:00 pm

To quote Kevin Bacon in Sleepers.........."Blowjob!!!"..........and when that fails, and this sounds a little strange to some people, I use alcohol hand rub diluted a little with water and a q-tip. Been doing that on my SNES carts for a few years and never any problems. Just a quick wipe down on the connectors and thats it.

But thats just me....
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Theres been debates over the years in cleaning them.Like tak suggested you could give a good blow of air but some users don't recommend this due to moisture reasons *tbh im sure theres carts listed on ebay covered in pee and still work*,

i could suggest isopropyl alcohol wipes.Wipe and leave contacts to dry.Fantastic wipes for cleaning real dirt off.Can be got cheap on ebay.They have strong odour so use in ventilated area.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy_2_cool

Post by Andy_2_cool » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:39 pm

it could be your carts, I open up the carts with the correct tool bit and use an rubber eraser to get the connectors to shine. i have used the cotton bud technique when im too lazy to open the cart up :)

if its not your games then it will be the 72-pin connector in your console. These cost about £10 posted and are easy to fit (no soldering)
:)
*********************************************************************************

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Tried the "blowjob" technique and so did my wife last night :p nothing quite like witnessing your wife getting down on her knees and blowing a NES

Anyway, Some games worked others didn't so im assuming it's the connectors on them
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Couple of guides I wrote could help you out:

http://www.nes-bit.com/?page_id=3280
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Alcohol works fine for me. I think you can also use the same products that are used to remove rust... (although I'm not 100% sure)

Use a cotton bud, one end dipped in alcohol and scrub the connector and then do the same with the other end to remove any drop of alcohol left. :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:22 pm

been talking to a mate tonight about the "blowjob" technique(complete with strange looks from my wife and his girlfriend) and he suggested buying a can of pressured air!!! I have heard of this before, but just for example, you blow it into the front flap of the NES and it was dusty wouldn't you just be shifting the dirt around and re-seating it somewhere else!?!? Anyone experience of using a "can-o-air"??
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:42 pm

I used to move the cart about in various positions and that would sometimes get a cart going. I think in the very end when I opened the console up to do the USA region mod, I gave the connector a good clean and that solved most problem carts.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:20 am

I have been collecting a heck of a lot of NES games (and other console carts) and I always clean them with a bit of window cleaning solution on a cotton bud.. wet it, rub the pins, then use a dry one to finish the clean.

Leave it for a while so theres no moisture on it before playing it.

RThis works perfectly and can make the most gross non-working cart work perfectly

Then you want to open the nes, dismantle and clean the pins on the motherboard.. its not very difficult.. and while you are in there disable the region lock (see youtube).. it just involves breaking a tiny connection of one of the circuit pins.

Hope this helps

Quiteenjoy

Post by Quiteenjoy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 am

Hey guys-

I've got myself the grey screen of death, pretty much ripped the NES to bits trying to fix it. I've replaced the 72 pin connector and everything- I explain in detail in this blog post: http://www.quiteenjoy.co.uk/the-nes-and ... n-of-death

Any ideas?
Your crumpets are in another castle.

http://www.quiteenjoy.co.uk - comedy blog

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:40 am

Have you tried cleaning the motherboard connectors? If isopropane isn't working them some really fine sandpaper rubbed softly might do the trick. Its also possible that the replacement 72 pin adaptor is wonky. Had a few of the cheap ones refuse to work before.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Quiteenjoy

Post by Quiteenjoy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 am

Lorfarius wrote:Have you tried cleaning the motherboard connectors? If isopropane isn't working them some really fine sandpaper rubbed softly might do the trick. Its also possible that the replacement 72 pin adaptor is wonky. Had a few of the cheap ones refuse to work before.
I did give the connectors a good clean but shall try again. Is there any visible signs on the 72 pin that could let me see if its duff? Where did you get yours from? Maybe I should try them?

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 am

Taken from mmmonkey's site:

"Some people also report that disabling the lockout chip can help fix this problem, it certainly stops the flashing screen and blinking light, but you might still end up with just a grey screen."

Edit: Your blog was slow to load so I didn't bother at first, but I guess you already tried that :P
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Quiteenjoy

Post by Quiteenjoy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:04 am

Vyothric wrote:Taken from mmmonkey's site:

"Some people also report that disabling the lockout chip can help fix this problem, it certainly stops the flashing screen and blinking light, but you might still end up with just a grey screen."

Edit: Your blog was slow to load so I didn't bother, but I guess you already tried that :P
Yeah it seems to be having some issues today! Bloody cheap hosting site! :P

Yeah I have disabled the lockout chip and just gets solid Grey screen