Stuff you DIDN'T buy!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Stuff you DIDN'T buy!

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Just to show that we have some restraint :wink: , thought I'd start a little companion thread to the recently bought thread where you can list things you passed over in shops or at carboots etc.

As my retro funds are running a bit low, I recently (reluctantly) didnt buy an Amiga 500 with 10 games and a Grandstand old school console. One was £25 the other £5.

DPrinny

Re: Stuff you DIDN'T buy!

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:46 pm

I dont buy a lot of stuff.
It it dont take my interest I dont see the point in buying it.
Recently a few boxed NES games off someone.
I just felt I didnt really need them

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Have two examples from today, saw a pristine v.1 PAL Megadrive box in my local Blue Cross charity shop, the price tag said £9.95 and I thought I'd snagged myself a bargain. Asked if I could take a look, opened it up and saw it had a few boxed games in there, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Road Rash 2, Worms and some EA Basketball crap. Even better, I thought, until I took a look at the console, it was in the worse condition I'd ever seen, the expansion port cover was missing. The nice grey bit where the power light is on the ring was bright orange (must have been from a v.smoky house) and the whole thing was covered in mildew stains. Had some crappy third party controller in the same condition which rattled like mad when I gave a shake.

Put the whole sorry lot back and thanked the assistant for letting me have a look. Felt sorry for the thing, like I could have took it home and cleaned it up, give it the dignity it deserved after years of abuse. Probably could of just done with a mercy killing though. Must have been the biggest disparity between box and contents I've ever encountered.

Then in the pawn shop down the road I spotted an (un-priced) copy of Final Fantasy IX in the display case, the box was a bit cracked but I can swap that. Asked to see it and the assistant said it was in there because it was rare, not that rare I thought. She took it out and said it was £15, she even grinned and said "look, black" waggling the disc at me, not sure what her point was, thought most PSone games came on black discs. Checked the discs out, disc 2 and 3 had loads of cracks from the hole in the middle which had been taped up, I declined and she offered me them for £10. She got quite offended when I declined, nevermind.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:14 am

My old boss had one of those Sega Megadrive / Mega CD combined units. Think it's the MultiMega one.

He offered it me for £80, including all his games (about 20 I think). Unfortunately it wasn't great timing... Our shop was closing as part of a pre-pack redundancy, so money to spare for old consoles, no matter how desirable, wasn't an option.

Just recently he contacted me on Facebook and offered it to me again. If his offer was still £80, I'd probably have snapped his hand off, but unfortunately he'd had an offer of £150, which I just don't have spare, again no matter how desirable it is.
ImageImage

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 am

NTSC U/C Tekken Tag, I left it in the end as I prob won't even play it. Only went for a fiver.

Moto Racer Advance. Looks superb but a bit simplistic so I left it well alone.

Fire Pro Wrestling PS2 US. Left it alone as although it looks superb, I never play wrestling games for more than 30 mins.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:55 am

Mega Drive II, Mega-CD II and Game Gear -
Was in a pub conversation a few years ago talking about retro consoles with a friend who's not into video gaming at all. He surprised me by saying he still had his hardly ever used old consoles that he had a child stored in their original boxes up in the loft at his mother's place. He asked me if I'd like to have them as he had no use for them and his mother wanted the space cleared. I said yes and he wouldn't take a penny in return... so I bought him a few beers. RESULT! :D :D :D

Dreamcast -
I'm not prepared to reveal the details :wink: but suffice to say, my launch day DC was acquired (legally) for free back in October '99. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:03 am

A bloke at the car boot a couple of weeks ago had a whole bag of around 30 boxed and unboxed 2600/7800 games and wanted £15 for the lot. If I'd had my business head on at the time I'd have bought the lot and sold them on Ebay, but I turned them down due to the fact that not long ago I traded my 7800 for a Vectrex. Silly Martin!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:13 am

Im always kicking myself for this

A white label DC promo disc of Resident Evil Code Veronica from Oxfam for £2. I was unemployed and skint but still mulled over whether to but it or not. Decided not to. A week later one went on ebay for £126. I was back at the shop the next day first thing but it had already gone.

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am

Marie Curie down the street had an absolute load of fully-boxed PSone games going for 50p each earlier today. Some really good stuff, like Medal of Honour Underground, Fear Effect and Time Crisis, but I thought 'nah, I'll never play these'. Left them.
Last edited by Roo on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Only one I can really think of is when I was originally buying my NGPC in 2000, before SNK pulled out of Europe, I passed up Pocket Reversi. How little we were to know then...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:00 pm

Back when it was first released I passed up the opportunity of buying Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) as I always thought Castlevania games were lame.

A couple of years ago, after years of reading on the 'net of how great the game supposedly was, I gave in and bought it for approximately £35 (CIB) off eBay. I should have stuck by my initial instincts as after playing it I still think Castlevania games are lame.*

* although I did enjoy Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3) to be fair.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:09 am

Most notably, two huge bundles in Gamestation's window display:
NES with about 20 games, multiple controllers, Zapper - £30, I was skint...
CD32 with a dozen or so games, £55, what a surprise - skint...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:23 am

A boxed Vic 20 with a few boxed goodys
The Ebay line came out and they said £100

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:43 pm

I guess with all the looting this thread will get very busy now! :lol:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Here's one I wish I had the money (and space for): A Mega Drive mk1, with 48 (count 'em, 48!!!!) for...................£38, and thats including postage! Some cracking games as well, like X-Men 2 Clone Wars and Corporation. Also off ebay, and another MD bundle, but this time with less games (17), but it went for £15 including postage. One more MD, but with a MCDII as well, this time for £42, and with games also. Wish I had the money for the fist bundle though :(
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!