Retro Gaming Revolution - 1st October 2011 - Chelmsford

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Do you think you will be attending this event?

Yes
46%
No
39%
Maybe
14%

Total votes: 28

StarshipUK

Re: Retro Gaming Revolution - 1st October 2011 - Chelmsford

Post by StarshipUK » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:14 am

NickHarlow wrote:Small but important minor factual error.

JagFest UK will be appearing along with other Atari machines at the R3play event. This is being organised at the moment as I believe you know but you declined to come due to the fact it was being held up north.

But you are welcome to organise any Atari Jaguar gathering you want, just not using the JagFest UK.

Nick Harlow
16/32 Systems
So just to clarify, who actually owns the naming rights for Jagfest UK and normally runs them?
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:19 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:I voted "Maybe" but there's every chance I'll be able to make it to the event, especially as Essex is just a short hop across the Thames from where I live.

I'd be driving there so could bring along anything from my console collection (see my sig below) but I'm guessing it'd be more "interesting" if I were to bring along something such as my Vextrex, Amstrad GX4000, Amiga CD32 and/or Jaguar plus Jaguar CD. My PC Engine Duo-R isn't working at the mo.
Fantastic - If you can bring some kit, please can you let me know nearer the time if you can deffo make it or not. A few nice interesting items there.

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:25 am

Neilos626 wrote:I'll be there, only 30 mins from me. If you are intending a snes setup may I suggest some competitons on Super mario kart and SF2 Turbo,
I have two American SNES, 4 crappy american SNES games and a broken multicart - this is something I am currently looking into getting sorted though. I have some UK SNES carts including Super Mario Kart, but no UK SNES yet.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:06 pm

StarshipUK wrote:
NickHarlow wrote:Small but important minor factual error.

JagFest UK will be appearing along with other Atari machines at the R3play event. This is being organised at the moment as I believe you know but you declined to come due to the fact it was being held up north.

But you are welcome to organise any Atari Jaguar gathering you want, just not using the JagFest UK.

Nick Harlow
16/32 Systems
So just to clarify, who actually owns the naming rights for Jagfest UK and normally runs them?
Well obviously Nick I was talking about JFUK as a standalone event when I said there was no show this year.

Nick owns the Jagfest UK name, I just organised/hosted the show the last 2 years running and was originally going to do a show this year before certain other events in the community happened.

Jagfest hasn't been a pure Jaguar show for many years now anyway, more of an Atari show with other retro machines there too. I wanted to get away from people thinking it was a Jaguar only show, as most people always thought that despite what was said about the show.

I don't want to speak on Steve's (editor of Atari User) behalf but there was always a plan to do an Atari User live show anyway. It was originally prefered that it would be part of JFUK but unfotunately that never came to pass.
Last edited by The Laird on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:10 pm

sierrra_online_fan wrote:
StarshipUK wrote:As for competitions, as it is the first event my aim is just to run two or three standard competitions during the day to keep things simple and easy. Any suggestions for games and comps are appreciated - although I have a few things in mind. I am also thinking of perhaps making them charity comps at 50p a entry/go. Not sure what people think of this idea?
I reckon a speed run in Sonic 1 or 2 might make for a good competition; anything performance oriented like Rock Band would work as well and having a good old fashioned SF2 tournament should bring back the nostalgia.

I agree that 50p to enter the comps would weed out the haters and fakers and would help to bring in the money for the charities, while a raffle with QUALITY prizes would also be very nice. Also, I haven't seen anything about an entrance fee yet - or are you just doing this all out of the goodness of your heart and treating us :lol:
With regards to comps, I am thinking of leaving the Master System and Megadrive open, and perhaps run a comp on a system that is not used so much at events such as the Sega Saturn or GameCube. I don't want too many comps, as there will just not be enough time to run them all - for a first time 1 day event I guess 2 or 3 comps should be enough. Jagfest UK is thinking of also running a couple of comps.

Also not sure if charging for the comps might put people off entering them, so thinking of scrapping the idea of 50p to enter. Also thinking of scrapping the raffle idea, as I will be too busy to run this and don't really have any decent prizes - although I know Mootown kindly said he may be able to bring a few bits along perhaps those could be used for competition prizes? Also thinking of getting some boxes of Jelly Babies as prizes, as these proved most popular at In Da 80's.

Entrance is free - which should hopefully help by bringing a few locals in. And yes, I am doing this all for free and not getting paid by the pub or anything to do this - everything I am having to spend is out of my own pocket. Am I mad? :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:49 pm

StarshipUK wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I voted "Maybe" but there's every chance I'll be able to make it to the event, especially as Essex is just a short hop across the Thames from where I live.

I'd be driving there so could bring along anything from my console collection (see my sig below) but I'm guessing it'd be more "interesting" if I were to bring along something such as my Vextrex, Amstrad GX4000, Amiga CD32 and/or Jaguar plus Jaguar CD. My PC Engine Duo-R isn't working at the mo.
Fantastic - If you can bring some kit, please can you let me know nearer the time if you can deffo make it or not. A few nice interesting items there.
Will do! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:56 pm

StarshipUK wrote:
Neilos626 wrote:I'll be there, only 30 mins from me. If you are intending a snes setup may I suggest some competitons on Super mario kart and SF2 Turbo,
I have two American SNES, 4 crappy american SNES games and a broken multicart - this is something I am currently looking into getting sorted though. I have some UK SNES carts including Super Mario Kart, but no UK SNES yet.

Ok, I can bring a UK setup including TV if needed. Got plenty of games so will bring a nice selection. Only thing that worries me is how secure will our gear be? Can any old Herbert off of the street walk in? Or is it a ticketed affair?

Any other consoles you would like at the event but don't have organised yet?
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Neilos626 wrote:
StarshipUK wrote:

Ok, I can bring a UK setup including TV if needed. Got plenty of games so will bring a nice selection. Only thing that worries me is how secure will our gear be? Can any old Herbert off of the street walk in? Or is it a ticketed affair?

Any other consoles you would like at the event but don't have organised yet?
The problem is it is open to the public, although people like Matt Brown also runs his events open to the public and has never had a problem - people do normally respect the kit, but you do have to be careful as there are sometimes a few bad apples out there. I updated the first page with info earlier.

If you are bringing something, but are unable to make it or bring your kit please let me know beforehand. Please also note I cannot be held responsible if anything is damaged or goes missing - this event is open to the public, so I only ask you keep an eye on your own kit and systems, and also ask you to please make sure they are working OK throughout the event, changing games every so often, etc...

And is one of the two reasons why I am trying to bring as much of my own kit as possible. The other reason is myself (and Arcadian) have been caught out at other events relying on other people to bring kit and they have not shown up or not bought it. Not saying anyone who has kindly offered to bring kit to this will not bring it, but I also understand people can sometimes can't make it at the last minute for good reasons, and taking most the kit myself will ensure it will be there and we don't end up with it half empty.

At the moment it is just my SNES which is a problem, and another one or two tables should be filled up by Atari User Live which has maxed the pub out with maximum systems and retro goodness.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm

StarshipUK wrote: Also thinking of getting some boxes of Jelly Babies as prizes, as these proved most popular at In Da 80's.
sorry but you can't do this! using jelly baby's as prizes was my idea and is as such my intelectual property, you can use any other confectionary you want, but if you use jelly baby's i will sue you so hard the following ten generations of your family tree will be living below the poverty line! im not joking!
[i am joking :)]
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:29 pm

The latest issue of Atari User magazine came out today - http://www.atariuser.com

We feature a full page advert for the event that confirms our support and the arrival of the Atari User Live roadshow at the event!

Look forward to seeing you all there and spreading some Atari love!

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:The latest issue of Atari User magazine came out today - http://www.atariuser.com

We feature a full page advert for the event that confirms our support and the arrival of the Atari User Live roadshow at the event!

Look forward to seeing you all there and spreading some Atari love!
Fantastic. I have also just bought a copy of the magazine :)

The only thing I did notice was there was no postcode for the pub. There are two pubs in Chelmsford called "The Red Lion". Hopefully people will go to the website and find the right one :)

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:13 am

I like that advert!

look forward to seeing you all there,

starship, still no pal snes?

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:27 pm

my offer of Supplying a UK SNES still stands, let me know if you want it.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 am

I was just looking at the updated website and its great to see that the venue and stuff has been added!

But can we please add something about Atari User Live being part of the show?

I would really like to start advertising the show and spreading the word around the Atari scene.

I myself will be bringing my complete Jaguar & Jag CD collection including some very rare games, my massive Lynx collection and anything else that Sunship wants me to bring.

I will be running a high score competition on Gorf CD for the Jaguar with a very special first prize!

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:I was just looking at the updated website and its great to see that the venue and stuff has been added!

But can we please add something about Atari User Live being part of the show?

I would really like to start advertising the show and spreading the word around the Atari scene.

I myself will be bringing my complete Jaguar & Jag CD collection including some very rare games, my massive Lynx collection and anything else that Sunship wants me to bring.

I will be running a high score competition on Gorf CD for the Jaguar with a very special first prize!
I am just off on holiday abroad for a week where I will have virtually no internet access for a week. blockhead has kindly agreed to update the website, so if you could contact him and tell him what you would like added, he will be able to add it.

Or if you wait a week, I will get it sorted and will also be posting info about the event on more forums and distributing leaflets after I get back.

The good news is there should be 2 tables for the Atari section, which should hold 4+ systems :)