Retro Gaming Revolution - 1st October 2011 - Chelmsford

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Do you think you will be attending this event?

Yes
46%
No
39%
Maybe
14%

Total votes: 28

sscott

Re: PLS STICKY!!! Retro Revolution - 1st Oct - Chelmsford

Post by sscott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 pm

RE: Sticky, I think the mods have a very 'light touch' on the forum's these days and maybe they have just overlooked it.

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:43 pm

sscott wrote:RE: Sticky, I think the mods have a very 'light touch' on the forum's these days and maybe they have just overlooked it.
removed sarcastic comment.

EDIT- thank you, you have stickied it. :D
Last edited by carl_retrotext on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Re: Retro Gaming Revolution - 1st October 2011 - Chelmsford

Post by The Laird » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:36 pm

StarshipUK wrote:No problems. Any chance this could be made sticky yet please? I have asked a few mods but no reply and no sticky.

Perhaps also time to unsticky the In Da 80's thread as it was weeks and weeks back. RV thread was unstickied a day after it happened.
Not sure if you saw my last message offering help etc.

But I can also do a piece for you in Atari User magazine promoting the event and try and get all the Jagfest UK folks along as JFUK isn't going ahead this year. Maybe you would be intersted in a bit of co-promotion?

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:31 pm

blockhead wrote:
sscott wrote:RE: Sticky, I think the mods have a very 'light touch' on the forum's these days and maybe they have just overlooked it.

please remember that we mod this site on a voluntary basis and sometimes life gets in the way! unfortunatly due to a mistake made by darren when granting my mod powers all i actualy have the power to do is edit and delete your posts! so if i'm the only mod about, then i'm afraid you have to wait!
TBH i didn't see said sarcastic comment, but in all honesty whats the point? we do all that we can for this site that our time allows us to do so!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

sierrra_online_fan

Re: Retro Revolution - 1st Oct - Chelmsford

Post by sierrra_online_fan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:38 pm

While there's a moderator looking...

I think it would make sense to have a separate 'Retro Events' category - I haven't looked to see how many other events there are going on at the moment but it would keep things like this all in one place, and forumites would know where to look for events to attend, rather than having to trawl through everything else that's off-topic.

Just my two pence's worth :mrgreen:

mohicankid

Re: Retro Revolution - 1st Oct - Chelmsford

Post by mohicankid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:45 pm

sierrra_online_fan wrote:While there's a moderator looking...

I think it would make sense to have a separate 'Retro Events' category - I haven't looked to see how many other events there are going on at the moment but it would keep things like this all in one place, and forumites would know where to look for events to attend, rather than having to trawl through everything else that's off-topic.

Just my two pence's worth :mrgreen:
this (stickied) thread has pretty much all the upcoming events listed http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 31&start=0
as moderators we can't create a catagory only admin can do that! your best bet is to PM darren with your idea!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:00 pm

mohicankid wrote:
blockhead wrote:

please remember that we mod this site on a voluntary basis and sometimes life gets in the way! unfortunatly due to a mistake made by darren when granting my mod powers all i actualy have the power to do is edit and delete your posts! so if i'm the only mod about, then i'm afraid you have to wait!
TBH i didn't see said sarcastic comment, but in all honesty whats the point? we do all that we can for this site that our time allows us to do so!

this is true- It was not sarcastic until I re-read it, so took it off as I thought it was unnecessary as the topic was stickied anyway.

It was not a dig at anyone at all- and I hope you are granted more moderation powers that you mention in your reply.

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks for the sticky. Apologies too for my outburst. I sent PMs to two Mods quite a while back asking nicely to sticky this even using the word "Please", which PMs were read quickly but had no replies or sticky. I did not realise MK has peasant mod privileges and is unable to sticky :lol:

The problem with having a septate events forum is, would anyone read it? YakYak has its own events forum, but no one bothers to read it, where lots of people visit Off Topic here on a regular basis. I think just continuing to sticky the events here two or three months before they happen and for about a week after they happen is fine at the moment. That is until we are seeing 10 events a month.

Just found out last night my events date clashes with a private Jamma+ Arcade Barn event (which is fully booked anyway). Sorry about that - It was not posted here so I did not know about it, and don't check all the forums as often as I should (there's just too many and too little time!)
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

Arcadian

Post by Arcadian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:12 pm

StarshipUK wrote:The problem with having a septate events forum is, would anyone read it? YakYak has its own events forum, but no one bothers to read it, where lots of people visit Off Topic here on a regular basis.
Completely agree with you on this.

If anything, it's the For Sale/Trading posts that need their own category, but folks have been requesting this for years, and I doubt it'll ever happen.
StarshipUK wrote:Just found out last night my events date clashes with a private Jamma+ Arcade Barn event (which is fully booked anyway). Sorry about that - It was not posted here so I did not know about it, and don't check all the forums as often as I should (there's just too many and too little time!)
I actually knew about the Arcade Barn meet, but didn't include it in the RG calendar because as you point out, it was effectively a private forum meet. Ditto for the Party one you raised ... which seems to be at someone's house?

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Arcadian wrote:
StarshipUK wrote:Just found out last night my events date clashes with a private Jamma+ Arcade Barn event (which is fully booked anyway). Sorry about that - It was not posted here so I did not know about it, and don't check all the forums as often as I should (there's just too many and too little time!)
I actually knew about the Arcade Barn meet, but didn't include it in the RG calendar because as you point out, it was effectively a private forum meet. Ditto for the Party one you raised ... which seems to be at someone's house?
Its described as Semi-Private which I can understand (there are some nutta's and slightly strange people out there!), but it must be a bloody big house to have 16+ systems set up, as well as being able to hold 50 people! I still think its worth a mention somewhere on the gaming events list. Perhaps under the section of Gaming Events in people's houses?
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:43 pm

I voted "Maybe" but there's every chance I'll be able to make it to the event, especially as Essex is just a short hop across the Thames from where I live.

I'd be driving there so could bring along anything from my console collection (see my sig below) but I'm guessing it'd be more "interesting" if I were to bring along something such as my Vextrex, Amstrad GX4000, Amiga CD32 and/or Jaguar plus Jaguar CD. My PC Engine Duo-R isn't working at the mo.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:16 pm

I'll be there, only 30 mins from me. If you are intending a snes setup may I suggest some competitons on Super mario kart and SF2 Turbo,
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:39 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I voted "Maybe" but there's every chance I'll be able to make it to the event, especially as Essex is just a short hop across the Thames from where I live.

I'd be driving there so could bring along anything from my console collection (see my sig below) but I'm guessing it'd be more "interesting" if I were to bring along something such as my Vextrex, Amstrad GX4000, Amiga CD32 and/or Jaguar plus Jaguar CD. My PC Engine Duo-R isn't working at the mo.
Would be great to see you there DC!

Seen as there is no Jagfest UK this year and this falls around the same time as its usually scheduled I am sure we can get a mini Jagfest going at the show!

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:53 am

Re Comps.

How about The highest amount of goal scored against san marino in a 5 min game sensible soccer?

worth 50p a pop. 8)

NickHarlow

Post by NickHarlow » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 am

"Would be great to see you there DC!

Seen as there is no Jagfest UK this year and this falls around the same time as its usually scheduled I am sure we can get a mini Jagfest going at the show!"

Small but important minor factual error.

JagFest UK will be appearing along with other Atari machines at the R3play event. This is being organised at the moment as I believe you know but you declined to come due to the fact it was being held up north.

But you are welcome to organise any Atari Jaguar gathering you want, just not using the JagFest UK.

Nick Harlow
16/32 Systems