Non recycled retro stuff

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Re: Non recycled retro stuff

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Like some have said, tip workers often look the other way if you slip them a fiver but technically taking stuff from a rubbish tip or skip is illegal.
Sounds like the woman is like my dad, gets rid of perfectly useable stuff but doesnt want anyone else to use it, the amount of stuff he destorys to stop others using is rediculous to the point me and my mother give it to family members or I squirell it away to use (Hence my sound system aka Franken-BOOM) or take it to a charity shop.
I need to loft raid again to see if theres anymore bit of use to me, hoping I may find an old Boombox but I know the vintage Hifi is not for pilfering. Ill let you guys know if theres any bits that could be of use to you and are not wanted anymore, will be pick up only though.
Watching you sleep since 1990

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:04 pm

[quote="greenberet79"]As someone said earlier, if (for example) I took an Xbox out of a skip, brought it home, plugged it in and it went on fire and burned my house down then the recycling company (and the local council) could be liable.

Basically, vulture law firms have ruined any fun this country used to have. There was a famous (up here anyway) episode of World In Action from the 80s which showed people rummaging through Bidston tip in the Wirral! (Actually, i think someone put the link on here a few weeks back). That wouldn't happen now - but with the way the economy's going I wouldn't be suprirsed if some legislation was brought in that allows councils to start giving away/selling items at recycling centres - it's better to reuse items than to recycle them. In fact this might already happen somewhere, someone above posted. quote]

I used to do all the Environmental monitoring at that Bidston place :D

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:12 pm

This it?- part 1,forward to 9.00 see the dump - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwJlZrNPviY
part 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT67f78u ... re=related
part 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHMVIyOh ... re=related
The dump thing has come back,anything that's metal is being stolen from anywhere due to the big prices of scrap copper and steel at the moment.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Fred83 wrote: The dump thing has come back,anything that's metal is being stolen from anywhere due to the big prices of scrap copper and steel at the moment.
Very very true, while waiting for the gates to open at work one morning at 6am, we challenged a bloke climbing the fence into the recycling site next to the depot. It wasn't so much the fact he was going looting but he put a very thin coat over 5ft Spiked railings and then went over the top of the spikes on his stomach and pulled himself over! If we hadn't challenged him and he hurt himself we would have been in the wrong for not doing so. I think it was quoted on local "look north" news last night that a tonne of copper recently hit the £1500 mark so to some people its worth the risk.

Utter madness...
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:11 am

when we were kids we used to rummage all day in the local waste skips! got great stuuf out of them, old bikes toys , i remember getting a fantastic boxed train set out of one! talking about the 70s mind!
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Holpil

Post by Holpil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 am

I often hear of charities shops being unable to resell electronic equipment due to danger of fire etc, but how does this not apply to somewhere such as CeX or even a private seller on e-bay?

If the shops had the resources to PAT test equipment before putting it on sale would this relinquish the liability thats on them if it's a danger to whoever buys it?

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 am

don't quote me but i think it works like this...when SELLING an item to the likes of game etc, you show id and sign to the fact that it is in full working order, if it then blows up and kills people, they sue game who then take action on you! with a charity shop you are giving no assurances that the items work, so the responsibility is on the shop to ensure that its safe, also game etc shops will have a liability insurance policy that covers them, most charity shops will not!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Holpil

Post by Holpil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Interesting that, it makes sense that voluntary organisations wouldn't want to shell out on the insurance costs to cover electricals, the main ones such as oxfam etc won't budget it into the running costs of their shops! Gap in the market perhaps?