The Retro Gamer Forums Musicians Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ruffian

The Retro Gamer Forums Musicians Thread

Post by ruffian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:47 am

I know there are musicians here (not that I'm claiming to be a musician, more of a dabbler), so I thought I'd start an 'official' thread, rather than having to search for individual posts. So if anyone wants to talk about their music, what they are working on, post links etc, please do so in this thread. Here's a video of Ruffian in action! (in bedroom synth mode):

http://www.youtube.com/user/bedroomsynth
My trusted trade partners - Rossi46, Shinobi, stvd, witchfinder, filecore, pantal00ns, SirClive, Mainvein, SpiffierRabbit, eeztheman, c0nfu53d

Commander Jameson

Re: The Retro Gamer Forums Musicians Thread

Post by Commander Jameson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:38 am

Another dabbler here. After listening to it for decades I''ve just started having a go at electronic music myself.

Currently using Fruity Loops 10 as I'm just a beginner, also some Rebirth for mucking about on, all through a dual monitor setup, also considering getting a dedicated MIDI controller too ! Would definitely welcome any tips, adviec or useful links!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Got some music based history myself, but not proclaiming to be a master of anything, just enjoy tinkering and making music for my own enjoyment.

Been playing the guitar since I first started having lessons at the age of 7, not the worlds best guitarist but can hold my own at doing lead solo's. Mainly play in metal bands, nothing too serious, best gig was to probably just under a thousand people.

When I left school at 16 I further pursed my music interest and through 4 years of study I got an ND in music technology and a HND in music production. Tried to pursue a career in the recording industry but I hit it at a bad time with illegal downloads etc and most of the studios around me closed down, so that was that career path finished for me.

Fast forward to now and I help out at work when I can as a Studio Technician, mess around in bands and general making naff 8-bit covers for Youtube using Cubase:

http://www.youtube.com/user/retropowerslave

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Cracking timing ruffian!

I recently downloaded Reaper and whilst ive a sh*te load to lean, its the DAW for me I think.

Also, purchased a cheap but rather nice Ibanez electric/acoustic guitar last week.

Im a total nubie when it come to music, can strum a few chords, tinkle a tune on a keyboard but thats about it. Anyway, ive a few questions which hopefully you guys may be able to help with.

1 - What's the best way to record from my guitar to laptop? A mic is one option but I have to rely on my noisy flat neighbours shutting the F up so was thinking about hooking the guitar directly to my laptop. Can I plug straight from guitar to the line in (with an adapter) or is it better to put through an amp to the laptop?

2 - Assuming I go straight from guitar to laptop, is there any software which acts like an amp? IE, can control the gain, distortion etc.

3 - Should I get a simple usb keyboard and use plugins in my DAW or is it better to get a proper keyboard with USB connectivity? I think I read that there can be delays when using a usb keyboard. Any recomendations here would be great.

4 - Can you recommend some good plugins for basic drum machine (I asume a usb keyboard would control this?) and for simple synth sounds.

5- What do you use to record sounds? I know that Reaper lets you do this but I currently use Audacity, dunno why though!

Thanks in advance!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:08 pm

I can play a trumpet, cornet, euphorium and trombone, and I can play a few songs on the accordian too, but nothing fancy. Used to love sitting next to the radio and trying to play along, but then I left school and had to give them all their instruments back. Given the chance I'd love to join a band again, it's a lot of fun!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm pretty useless with it, but I have recorded a few things on the guitar -> http://www.diffusedion.co.uk/music.html

I never got round to adding better drumtracks because it didn't really seem worth the effort.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:28 pm

I play piano semi-professionally, can also play flute and similar wind instruments. And kazoo.

I also make crap orchestrations/remixes of game music (mostly Sonic) on my YouTube channel, mostly to pass the time. If at least one other person enjoys them, it's good enough for me.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Been playing guitar fairly casually for about 10 years, own 7 guitars - 2 in the US (Fender Mexi-Strat, Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR) and 5 in the UK (Ibanez S470, Jackson RR3, Cort X6, Epiphone G400 SG, Washburn D10S). Never been in a band or anything, mainly because I have zero patience or time to sit down and learn things properly. I can bang out some tunes but nothing incredibly complicated.

I've also dabbled in music trackers - mainly LSDJ for Gameboy and Renoise on PC. I have a bunch of my Gameboy tunes up here. Again, not enough time/patience to do it that much any more, although I did recently buy a custom backlit/prosound-modded DMG to try and get back into it a bit.

I did have a couple of Renoise projects on the go, but I have fairly terrible mastering skills (again, no time/patience) so they currently aren't up anywhere as it annoys even ME to listen to them. Also, the amount of VSTs and what you can make them do also completely boggles my mind, so I tend to prefer sticking to the limits of 4 channels and no VSTs on Game Boys.
Last edited by Sureshot on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:1 - What's the best way to record from my guitar to laptop? A mic is one option but I have to rely on my noisy flat neighbours shutting the F up so was thinking about hooking the guitar directly to my laptop. Can I plug straight from guitar to the line in (with an adapter) or is it better to put through an amp to the laptop?

2 - Assuming I go straight from guitar to laptop, is there any software which acts like an amp? IE, can control the gain, distortion etc.
You might want to try looking at a V-Amp (Behringer) or Pod (Line 6) - they aren't incredibly expensive but model all kinds of different amps and effects, and are also relatively friendly to hook up to a PC.
Last edited by Sureshot on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Cracking timing ruffian!

I recently downloaded Reaper and whilst ive a sh*te load to lean, its the DAW for me I think.

Also, purchased a cheap but rather nice Ibanez electric/acoustic guitar last week.

Im a total nubie when it come to music, can strum a few chords, tinkle a tune on a keyboard but thats about it. Anyway, ive a few questions which hopefully you guys may be able to help with.

1 - What's the best way to record from my guitar to laptop? A mic is one option but I have to rely on my noisy flat neighbours shutting the F up so was thinking about hooking the guitar directly to my laptop. Can I plug straight from guitar to the line in (with an adapter) or is it better to put through an amp to the laptop?

3 - Should I get a simple usb keyboard and use plugins in my DAW or is it better to get a proper keyboard with USB connectivity? I think I read that there can be delays when using a usb keyboard. Any recomendations here would be great.

4 - Can you recommend some good plugins for basic drum machine (I asume a usb keyboard would control this?) and for simple synth sounds.

5- What do you use to record sounds? I know that Reaper lets you do this but I currently use Audacity, dunno why though!

Thanks in advance!!
I will try and help the best I can:

1- Your best bet would be to use a Firewire or USB Audio Card with a Jack Inputs , there is loads of good Firewire/USB and other audio cards out there, but I haven't looked into this in ages as I am still using my trusty PCI EMU 1616....I have heard good things about MOTU's USB/Firewire gear, think M-Audio's also works or comes with a version of pro-tools!

2- Try looking at Guitar Rig, It is a plug-in instrument like a VST, but it models loads of cool classic amps and stomp pedals, it is awesome. If you buy it legally, you can even get the foot controller, that acts like a proper effects pedal.

3- In all honestly, I mainly use either my proper typing keyboard to play notes in, as Cubase lets you do this or draw in the notes with the note editor. I see no difference in using a simple USB keyboard or an expensive one with USB connectivity, they are both only sending MIDI data to your computer. If people are experiencing delays it is because they have not configured there sound card, DAW or Keyboard properly.

4- Cubase has some good drum machines built in, I tend to use either Groove Agent or Toontrack Drum Kit From Hell.

5- Most DAW's will let you record an audio input as standard, as long as you buy a good sound card.

For people wanting some good learning resources, try reading Sound on Sound and Computer Music.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Ha great timing

Iam the resident drummer.... erm, Loony it would appear

Been told by loads of people I'm good enough to do other stuff rather than mess about at home ( Muso's and non Muso's alike) but never have tried properly to follow it up until tonight. Had a few lessons when I was younger, drum teacher then went off to Japan with his band and that was the end of that :twisted: Got a kit about 8 years ago, been playing by ear since then from everything from Maiden, Tallica, Seps through to Mansun, Phonics, and even some Blues and Jazz and chart stuff if Im in the mood

Went to a 'singer's night' which promised a full drum kit among other things to prattle about on , except it was a 'mate's only club' and proper band's showcase :( which I thought was a bit off. Meant to start at 9, finally got going at 9.30 and the drummer they had was playing by time sig only (even had an electronic time device with him :shock: , which completely killed the Blues band that were playing as it was well out of keeping with what was being played. Then you had a long list of regulars down to play, which meant no chance of getting on stage as it were.

I still play despite me ongoing back issues because in small doses it doubles up as physio and keeping me active though I do look a bit like the guy from the Jameson's ads at times.

So any ideas of how to go about expanding my horizons as it were?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:14 am

Bub&Bob wrote: 3 - Should I get a simple usb keyboard and use plugins in my DAW or is it better to get a proper keyboard with USB connectivity? I think I read that there can be delays when using a usb keyboard. Any recomendations here would be great.
Although I sort of agree with the above advice (about using the computer keyboard you have in front of you), there's a couple of things to bear in mind -

Buying a USB-Midi keyboard gives you velocity-sensitive keys - so the harder you hit them, the louder the sound. Especially good for editing drum tracks and makes the music feel a bit more 'alive'. You can usually edit the velocity after you've got the notes into your DAW though if you lack a proper keyboard, but t's not the same...

I'm mainly getting one for having knobs to twiddle whilst playing tunes, to alter your LFO, cutoff, resonance etc. - this is VERY tricky to do on the fly using mouse and keyboard! Again, you aren't getting anything you couldn't do with a keyboard and mouse, just makes the process easier and more natural.

If you still fancy looking at some, I've currently got my eye on some of the Korg Nano range, and AKAI do some nice stuff too, all under £50, not gonna spend any more than that if I'm only dabbling for now....!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:11 am

IronMaidenRule - thanks very much for all that, very useful.
Commander Jameson wrote:If you still fancy looking at some, I've currently got my eye on some of the Korg Nano range, and AKAI do some nice stuff too, all under £50, not gonna spend any more than that if I'm only dabbling for now....!
Cheers for that - I thought about max £50 was the sort of money I wanted to pay. Will start the search....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Ive got a new EP (10 tracks) that came out yesterday (6th July).. its got some seriously good feedback from some very well known people in the music industry..

Its called 'Art Of Balance' and is electronic music covering styles ranging from jazz funk, massive attack style trip-hop, summery dubstep and deep future garage and soundscapes..

you can read the buzz here:

http://blog.coldbusted.org/2011/07/06/a ... -busted50/

and you can listen to a montage of the tracks I made on my soundcloud here:

http://soundcloud.com/actraiser/actrais ... balance-ep

Hope you guys enjoy it..

I make a lot of stuff in different styles and now have stuff signed to licensing companies so may be getting stuff in adverts.. :D

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:12 pm

ChipTune wrote:Ive got a new EP (10 tracks) that came out yesterday (6th July).. its got some seriously good feedback from some very well known people in the music industry..

Its called 'Art Of Balance' and is electronic music covering styles ranging from jazz funk, massive attack style trip-hop, summery dubstep and deep future garage and soundscapes..

you can read the buzz here:

http://blog.coldbusted.org/2011/07/06/a ... -busted50/

and you can listen to a montage of the tracks I made on my soundcloud here:

http://soundcloud.com/actraiser/actrais ... balance-ep

Hope you guys enjoy it..

I make a lot of stuff in different styles and now have stuff signed to licensing companies so may be getting stuff in adverts.. :D
That is very very good. Really impressed.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)