Finding Stuff On The Ground

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ReplayRetro

Finding Stuff On The Ground

Post by ReplayRetro » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Hmmm so this might sound a little bit grubby and trampy but earlier today i found a PS1 game on the floor bush in a carpark "Music 2000" picked it up and although its a bit battered it works just fine and the case is passable, just wondered if anyone else has randomly found games lying around like that and taken them? or have you too much pride to pick up games from the disease ravaged floor :p
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

Liamh1982

Re: Finding Stuff On The Ground

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Found Donkey Kong Land III on a bus under one of the seats. Still have it over a decade later!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Found a XBox once.
It looked like it had been kicked about a bit.

It didnt work

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Never found on the floor, but I've pulled stuff out of skips/bins, mostly PCs/monitors.

I have no shame when it comes to collecting games tat, anything is fair game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:24 pm

My mate is a painter/decorator and occasionally does work for the council. One time he was painting a council flat/former drug den and was given permission to keep whatever he found in there (once the needles and pipes had been removed). He invited me round for some looting; he took a PS3 and a TV (fair enough), I got a sack full of PS1 and PS2 games, memory cards and control pads, plus a boxed/sealed R2-D2 cookie jar and some DVDs.

Only a few were worth keeping and in good condition (eg. a couple of GTA games, Gran Turismo 2, that caliber), so I traded/sold the rest, the proceeds of which funded my collecting needs for a good few weeks.

Not quite 'finding on the ground', but then anyone could have walked into that flat in the weeks after the tennants were evicted and taken those games, so for me it counts.

Drug dens are the new car boots.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Because of my job ("my old mans a binman....) I find a fair bit, not always computer/games related but so far:

N64 (Passed on to Bensonrad)

Generic chinese 8gb touch screen MP3 player!! Case was scratched to hell, but touch screen worked, a pair of new head phones and it works a dream. Bad thing, USB 1.0, took me nearly 2 hours fill it (yea yea it was free)

Simspons Hit and Run on the GBA, didnt know it was that until I got it home, the sticker had been peeled off

Starwars AT-AT walker toy, ended up selling this on ebay for £13 end of last year

Countless CD-RS of music in bins, we sometimes pop them into the trucks cd player, some people listen to some shite!

I could get PC compotents galore if they didnt watch you like hawks at the electrical waste recycling centre. They store them all in an off limits area and shout at you if even cross the barriers! Just to watch them all get smashed and run over with a HGV crusher!!! Its sickening, they get whole PC units in from office clearences and becasue its maybe a few years old thats it....such a wasteful soceity sometimes.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:02 pm

No but I did find a tenner once and bought a spectrum game with it. :D (Way of the Exploding Fist)
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 pm

I sometimes find myself on the ground after a lot of drinking. I've tried to leave myself there as well, but I keep clinging to my heels. Eventually I give in and take myself home with me.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:13 pm

found a 60gig PS3 in a skip about a year ago. Bought some bits to get it operational....but i'm still using it now :mrgreen:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:49 pm

in my last job running a student halls we used to get loads of stuff left once the students had left, not quite finding it on the ground but still lots of free stuff, had a few computers, stereos, dvds, an lcd tv, i used to just pilfer it and use them as competition prizes for the enxt intake of students. i did find in a cupboad a great big bag of ps1 games, then realised there was no games in them, i just binned them, looking back i could do with some spare cases now

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Found an original CD of the reissued version of Warren G's debut album, Regulate...G-Funk Era on the quite-small patch of grass directly adjoining the back of the house, just the disc, covered in dew but otherwise mint condition. I'm quite a big fan of Warren G, had all his back catalogue on CD, bar *only* having the original version of his debut on tape (and I had long abandoned cassette decks), regularly listened to his stuff because he is simply the mellowest, just cool music. I was like, "How did it get there, why did it get there, who else likes Warren G around here?!!!!" Christ knows, maybe someone just lobbed it out of their car or someone had nicked a bunch of stuff and dropped it or summat(???)

That was a really odd find, both spooky and nice at the same time. :shock:

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:50 am

Well if you include the CA site i work next to.....

Countless Xbox, Megadrives, Master Systems, SNES, NES's Controllers and cables, ,masses of games, B52's Gold Record Disc, Portable DVD player, lots of tools, Samuarai Sword, Couple of guitars, Guitar amp, Games Workshop figures, Books, DVDs. LCD TV.

Best thing i ever found though was a bag with £200 in and some weed.

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 am

The closest I come to answering this question in videogaming terms is the time my mate found a Mega Drive - boxed, amazingly - outside his house and swiped it. He took a bunch of games too, and even gave me some (Zoop and Pete Sampras Tennis, if I remember correctly).

Not quite the same as finding it, but I have another mate who was given a copy of Bomberman DS by some random girl on the train back from town. Not bad!

As for me though, nowt in the way of gaming, or anything else really.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 am

Fair few things...

-Just the cartridge for Lucky Dime Caper on the Master System, sitting on a wall a few streets away from mine.
-Crash Test Dummies, Blade and Mortal Kombat Game Boy cartridges under the rug in a flat I lived in several years ago.
-PSP carry case filled with UMDs... All football games, obviously. This was on a bench in an airport.
-Captain Scarlet figure on the beach last year.
-GI Joe figure on the steps in a train station.
-Two small plastic aliens on a wall several streets away (the same street that had Lucky Dime Caper!)
-Around 20-30 Mini Boglins scattered over the floor of an aisle in Asda, back in 1993. Happiest day of my life!
-Babycham deer mascot squeaky toy, seems to be from the 1970s and around a foot tall, just sitting on the pavement outside a cafe.
-Similar, 1960s-era plastic Porky Pig money box, on a bench in a park.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 pm

I am quite lucky finding things, most recent thing probably was a couple of Ministry of Sound and old skool hardcore double CDs on the ground outside a nightclub, looks like someone had driven off outside and dropped them (and run them over) but the CDs were okay and play fine. Now I can dance round like crazy to Charley says by the prodigy :lol: Oh and I found a scratchcard on the ground too a week or so ago, it had won £5, so drove on to the pub and treated my wife and daughter to Sunday afternoon drinkie with it.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.