Claiming postage back on ebay?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: Claiming postage back on ebay?

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:33 pm

If i was the seller and u were telling me how to box the item i would have tried to cancel the deal as well.

You knew about the high post charges before. No one held u at gunpoint. Dont like the postage then dont bid. U might have got it at a good price as not many people bid due to the costs.

My wife sells a lot on ebay but can only post once a week as she tells them on ebay. Yet people still moan when they dont get the item 4 secs after they win.

If someone was moaning about the postage i would also offer them a refund or cancel the transaction as theyre often trouble. Dont like the postage cost - then simply dont bid. Cant cry afterwards

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:01 am

I agree with PS and chiptune. If you don't like the postage costs on something, don't bid. If you weren't bidding on "games packaged in a box" then you shouldn't expect to get them in a box. It doesn't hurt to ask, but if the seller isn't happy to do it then you shouldn't try and force them. the amount that he's overcharged isn't horrendous by the sounds of it. £1.50 wouldn't pay for a bus to the post office round here and it certainly wouldn't pay for an appropriate packing box (have a look at the prices of boxes, it's horrendous and supermarkets never give them away any more). If the guy didn't agree to post it how you wanted and tried to cancel the auction then you have in fact had two opportunities to back out (one on the "are you sure you want to place this bid?" screen and one when he's sent the cancellation request) Sorry to say it dude, but I feel you're being unreasonable here. It seems to me that you were OK with taking the risk on not getting mint games otherwise you would have taken one of those two opportunities to back out.

I can't say I agree with the seller's way of doing it, but I don't think a complaint would be justified in this case. You have to remember that most people on eBay are NOT businesses so don't expect to receive the same level of postage subsidy or service you would expect from one. It's probably a guy selling some old crap to earn a little extra money to pay some bills in teh middle of a recession and he doesn't need the hassle of trying to suck up to a buyer to protect his feedback.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:16 am

I would have said no - leave it be seeing as you agreed to the P&P costs before hand. But since you said the items arrived somewhat damaged from lousy packaging that changes my opinion entirely.

Nothing annoys me more than sellers who can't pack items properly. If they arrived damaged that's his fault - and seeing as you think he overcharged on P&P, the least he should've done is pack them well enough to avoid being knocked about in the post.

If someone advertises an item as being in mint condition on eBay - that is exactly how you should receive them.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:24 am

Hmm, £3 over the top of the actual cost seems just about excessive if they reused an jiffy bag. Don't get me wrong, I do that all the time, but then I only charge the actual postage cost (people who have bought stuff off me here know I usually take it to the PO to get it weighed).

1) I would complain to ebay and the seller about the fact that they sent a cardboard item in a jiffy bag despite you asking them not to (did they agree not to?).

2) £3 extra does seem a bit much extra for postage but I guess that depends on what percentage it was of the total; but for me if they said they'd send it first class recorded and they sent it second, not recorded then it's worth complaining as sellers should not be allowed to get away with this shit.

Postage on ebay annoys me, there are limits imposed because of sellers taking the censored, but they certainly aren't infallible as someone else mentioned! £1.50 pay not cover the cost of a bus journey, but that is completely irrelevant, postage and packing is to pay for the cost of (wait for it)... posting and packaging and don't let them fob you off with any of that "my time" bullshit.

(1000th post LOL).
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Mcjarv

Post by Mcjarv » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 am

i dont think you can really claim it back but it is a pain, i mean it doesnt take that much effort even to wrap it in a bit of loo roll for shock absorption, y'know?! though to be fair i have got lots of stuff through the post, with fragile written all over it but the box is falling apart. I dont think posties love the item but its a hard job and i feel too sorry for them to complain :oops: