non league football thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

forestville

non league football thread

Post by forestville » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Hey, do you support your local non league side. it be in the blue sq bet premier or the blue sq north or south, and any of the reagonal leagues (step 3 to step 7) share your view here
Press play on tape

filecore

Re: non league football thread

Post by filecore » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:53 am

I support where I'm from and that now fits here, since we got relegated last season (Lincoln) :(
At least we'll probably get more coverage now in the Non League paper.

And I live 30secs walk from the Harriers ground so that'll be an interesting day :)

Lots of nearby games also. Telford, Tamworth, Kettering, Wrexham, Newport so should be interesting. I'd just glad really we're still in business and still have a team.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 am

Big Wrexham fan. Try to get to as many games as i can but its not easy with work and now living in Coventry. Also not cheap at £18 a ticket for the home games.

The standard in the BSP is getting better and better but also now the money game is creeping in more and more. You just have to look at Crawley last season to see the cash they spent to back into League 2, but now looking at the odds for league 2 next season there favourites to go into League 1.

I think this seasons a bit of a make or break for Wrexham. If the fans ownership takeover goes through it could hearld great things. If it keeps going with our current crooked chairman then we'll be heading into Bankruptcy again.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:54 am

actually i am a huge FOREST GREEN ROVERS FAN.... Blue square premier league club.
I watch them most weekends when they play at home.... great fun ! good football....
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:24 am

My local club is Spennymoor Town F.C, they play in the Northern League Division 1 (Step 5)

Black and White Stripes (1st Strip)
Red (2nd strip)

I follow The Moors around anywhere they go - from league and league cup matches to FA Cup/FA Vase matches - went to places like Cadbury Heath, Poole and Coalville the past 2 season for the FA Vase (we are in the same league as Whitley Bay - who have won the vase 3 times in a row)

It's not a bad league we are in, but we have won the league twice in a row with over 100 points :D

Pre-season has already been announced
Sat 09/07/2011 v Garforth Town Friendly H KO 3pm
Tues 12/07/2011 v Middlesborough XI Friendly H KO 7:30pm
Sat 16/07/2011 v Blyth Spartans Friendly H KO 3pm
Sat 23/07/2011 v Harrogate Town Friendly H KO 3pm
Wed 27/07/2011 v Coxhoe Friendly A KO 7pm
Sat 30/07/2011 v Newcastle United XI Friendly H KO 3pm
Sat 06/08/2011 v Newcastle Benfield Cleator Cup H KO 3pm (Cleator Cup - League Winners v League Cup Winners)
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am

This will be my first season following non-league football, as the useless couldn't-give-a-sh1t mercenaries we had playing last season managed to get us relegated from the football league. I'll be going to a few local games like Mansfield, Alfreton, Tamworth etc. mainly cos my Dad still wants to go, but I've kinda lost interest. I might regain some interest if we sign some players who look like they want to actually play and not just turn up for the cash.

Edit: I wrote that before I noticed Filecores post, sucks man, but we totally deserved it - last season was the worst Lincoln Team I've ever seen and that is saying something!

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:52 am

I support Tamworth fc we are in the bsp (step 1)

the last game of the season was awesome it was a relegation battle with forest green rovers, tamworth won and got to stay in the bsp, so did forest green rovers on goal differences. the match was televised live on premier sports tv.

the full time score was tamworth 2 - 1 forest green. we was all on the pitch after the match to celebrate staying up in the bsp, and some the forest green fans also joined us, it was a great atmosphere there that day at the lamb
Press play on tape

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:05 pm

forestville wrote:I support Tamworth fc we are in the bsp (step 1)

the last game of the season was awesome it was a relegation battle with forest green rovers, tamworth won and got to stay in the bsp, so did forest green rovers on goal differences. the match was televised live on premier sports tv.

the full time score was tamworth 2 - 1 forest green. we was all on the pitch after the match to celebrate staying up in the bsp, and some the forest green fans also joined us, it was a great atmosphere there that day at the lamb
Sounds quite different to my last match experience! We only had to win at home on the last day to stay up, and after a nervous start we just caved in and lost 3-0. I didn't feel as bad as I thought I might, in fact most of the people around us seemed to be in good spirits and we had a good laugh about how crap out team was.

filecore

Post by filecore » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Sounds quite different to my last match experience! We only had to win at home on the last day to stay up, and after a nervous start we just caved in and lost 3-0. I didn't feel as bad as I thought I might, in fact most of the people around us seemed to be in good spirits and we had a good laugh about how crap out team was.
Seeing the league fixtures come out mate has brought it more home. And also the table on BBC reset without us.
And I keep automatically clicking on League 2 on BBC Sport :( Gonna have to get out of that habit.

I remember the last time. I doubt we'll bounce back like then though. Need a team first though, heh. :shock: :?

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:49 am

filecore wrote:
Seeing the league fixtures come out mate has brought it more home. And also the table on BBC reset without us.
And I keep automatically clicking on League 2 on BBC Sport :( Gonna have to get out of that habit.

I remember the last time. I doubt we'll bounce back like then though. Need a team first though, heh. :shock: :?
I don't remember the last time, my first game was about 1991, we lost 5-1 to Exeter, so it was an introduction that prepared me well for what to expect! The lack of signings is certainly getting quite worrying though!

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:23 pm

As we are not all English here.....

I follow Crusaders FC who play in the Premier Division of the Northern Ireland Football League.
Had a good last season. Runners up in the League and beaten cup finalists.
Just got the 'plum' draw' in the Europa league against Fulham :D Providing Fulham can beat some team from the Faroe Islands first that is.
Been a supporter since 1976. Good times and really bad ones.
Read here -

http://www.crusadersfc.com/

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:33 pm

That was a crackin' draw for the Crues. I'm a blueman myself but I was ecstatic (not to mention jealous as hell) when I saw the draw.

I believe the new stand's gonna be ready in time so you won't have to play it at Solitude which is even better. Looking forward to seeing it on the tele.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:47 pm

the_hawk wrote:That was a crackin' draw for the Crues. I'm a blueman myself but I was ecstatic (not to mention jealous as hell) when I saw the draw.

I believe the new stand's gonna be ready in time so you won't have to play it at Solitude which is even better. Looking forward to seeing it on the tele.

It was indeed. Couldn't have asked for better.
Linfield have a difficult one. Our teams are always on a hidding to nothing in Europe anyway.
The new Stands look pretty good. The Shore Road end one is almost complete and the Railway end one is coming along. They are going to put temp seats on the terracing for the game.
But have you seen the ticket prices :shock: £30 + £25!!
There's no justification for that i think. It's greed.
It'll be a rude awakening if Fulham get beaten by the Faroe Islands team. Unlikely but you never know?

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 am

I think Wrexham assistant coach Brian Carey used to play for Crusaders years back.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:29 pm

James A wrote:I think Wrexham assistant coach Brian Carey used to play for Crusaders years back.

Ummm......not a name that i know James?
I've been watching the Crues for over 30 years now and i can't recall the name?