Using a PS1 controller for playing retro games

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spector

Using a PS1 controller for playing retro games

Post by Spector » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:28 am

I bought a PS1 controller off Ebay with the USB adaptor and it seems to work fine. Only trouble is, the button mappings are totally wrong. For example, the Left-Right-Up-Down buttons don't show up as being on the X axis and Y axis - when pressed they show up as Buttons 5,6,7 and 8. The four fire buttons on the face of the pad show up on the calibration page as buttons 13,14,15 and 16! This means that emulators don't recognise the controller and unless options permit, I can't use the joypad. I'm on Windows 7, if that means anything.

The question is - does everyone else get this problem when using a PS1 pad on their PC? And if not, what is most likely to be the reason?

Commander Jameson

Re: Using a PS1 controller for playing retro games

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 am

The controller-usb thing is working fine. The D-Pad doesn't show as X and Y axis because thise a reserved for the Analogue sticks. On a PS1 pas, EVERYTHING is a 'button' in MAME etc. apart from the sticks.

2 options, depending on the emulator you are using -

Redefine the emulator to accept the inputs your pad is putting out.

If this ISN'T an option -

Download 'Joy2Key' - this app sits between your controller and your emulator - basically you tell it what keyboard presses are represented by controller actions, e.g. 'Tell MAME that every time I press button 15, that I pressed the down arrow on the keyboard instead.' - that way even with no key defining options in your emulator, your pad should work.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Joy2Key is a great way of keeping everything configured. MAME can be a bit confusing.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:09 pm

speedlolita wrote:Joy2Key is a great way of keeping everything configured. I am easily confused
Corrected ;)

This doesn't just impact on PS1 pads, most pads have similar issues. Even dedicated PC pads do it, where you'll often find what you'd expect to be a stick/dpad definition is picked up as the top hat, thoroughly confusing less well written emulators.

MAME being something of an all rounder, its fairly easy to TAB into its options and reconfigure whatever joypad button to replicate an arcade stick or button push.

Where possible, I try to use emulators that support full control mapping instead of making do, but Joy2Key, Joypadder and their ilk do well enough if there's no alternative. They can introduce an element of lag in the translation though, hence the preference for emulator support of remapping natively. PS1 pad converters often suffer a little lag as it is, so you want to minimise that - the more translations it has to go through the worse the lag will be.

The big bonus with things like Joy2Key is that (should you be inclined) you can assign whole macros of keypresses to a single button, so that devastating combo need only be a single press away.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

norm7446

Post by norm7446 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Got two of these usb addaptors. Never had a problem using the pad's. Now using a Xbox 360 pad as no adaptor needed..
Rise from your Grave...

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:58 am

What adaptor are you using?
I have a Hong-Kong one that looks like a rounded triangular transparent blue puck that takes two PS1 or PS2 controllers. They're only a few quid, including delivery.

For an original Playstation digital controller (or a PS1 or PS2 Analogue or Dual Shock in digital mode) it does D-pad up/down/left/right OK. The main four buttons get numbered 1-4 clockwise from top (which is a bit annoying if the game only responds to button 1), the shoulder buttons and Start and Select count as more numbered buttons.

In analogue mode, the D-pad becomes the 'point of view hat', left stick becomes the main joystick, right stick up/down becomes z-axis (at least in the Windows XP Control Panel game input devices thing). Clicking the sticks becomes two more buttons.

I've also found that with JoyToKey you can assign actions to the horizontal axis of the right-stick. There's also no reason why you can't set up the left stick and the POV-Hat to do the same thing, so it doesn't matter what mode you use the controller in.

I find Sony's old pads to be the best build quality around. Nothing I've used since has that comfortable degree of control and so many buttons easily accessible. I did have some clone dual shocks, but gave them away and just kept the original Playstation pads.

P.S. It's written 'JoyToKey', not 'Joy2Key' if you're searching for it. Very useful. I play LEGO Universe with it. Handy that you can set it up to either the rotational (cursor) or directional (WASD) keys, depending on preference, and also invert the camera controls by assigning them to the opposing shoulder buttons.

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 am

joefish wrote:What adaptor are you using?
I have a Hong-Kong one that looks like a rounded triangular transparent blue puck that takes two PS1 or PS2 controllers. They're only a few quid, including delivery.
That's what i'm using as well, three of them with a mixture of Playstation and PS2 pads connected - i'm going to order some more soon as well because they've been remarkably good adapters for the pennies paid.

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks guys for the advice - I've tried out JoytToKey and it seems to work fine. It's taking me a bit to get used to the PS1 original controller's D pad without the base in the middle - it's basically 4 triangles, but that aside, it's an excellent controller.