2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thingonaspring

Re: 2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:26 pm

a 29 year old, on a 4 year contract...? that's not very wenger-like - is he starting to panic? ;)
if the reported figures are correct, we got the same money for crouch, from stoke, as everton did for arteta. :?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm

Benayoun isn't an Arsenal player, he's only on loan apparently.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 am

Kenny's worked his magic again - Poulsen and N'Gog are gone, and he's put Degen's registration in the bin!

And £12million for a benchwarmer (Meireles) - not bad. The only half-decent signing Woy made, but let's face it he couldn't take not being in the starting XI. Which makes me think why Chelsea - they're not exactly short of midfielders either.

Wish Joe Cole well at Lille - an odd decision on the face of it, but I really sincerely hope he can rebuild his career.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:00 am

Is that all of Hodgsons signings now gone? :D :lol:

And Bellamy coming off the bench is certainly better than N'gog.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:14 am

Arsenal ended up buying more than Old Chelsea; we wouldn't have guessed that back in July. Liverpool look potentially ready to leapfrog them now, and I'm sure Arsenal will recover to make 5th place.

Final League positions prediction- Top 5:

1. Moanchester United
2. Mercenary City
3. FC King Kenny
4. Chelski
5. Diet Barca

What do others think?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 am

1. Moanchester United
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???

Unfortunately :)

Most read story on BBC today: M Utd made a profit! Yay! But....did they really? I`m not a $$ whizz myself but there are comments about pre-tax figures and happy news coinciding with big flotation in Asia. Glazier`s magic, huh?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:20 am

firebreather wrote:Is that all of Hodgsons signings now gone? :D :lol:
I think Brad Jones is still there, but who cares about a 3rd-choice keeper?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:28 am

We won! WE WON!!! HahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And all I had to do was sacrifice a goat.

Shame it did England a favour, but what can you do?

ZXJacob

Post by ZXJacob » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Is anyone else bored of watching England play?? for years now, it has been so predictable what teams we will beat, and where we will get knocked out of competetions. last night I actually painted the front fence whilst then England game was on. I feel quite guilty saying that from a 'football' fan. This is from a guy who cried when we got knocked out of the world cup in 1990 ( I was 10!) and was devastated up to about 5 or 6 years ago everytime a tournament ended for England. Am I just growing up, or is the premier league and champions league just more exciting?

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:48 am

These days I'm far more tolerant of England than I used to be but the media hype machine still wind me up. I've never been much of an England fan though, I spend all my time hoping these players have a nightmare due to either the team they play for or the fact I just hate the players so can't be bothered to suddenly start declaring my love for "Player X" because he's now wearing a different colour and representing "me". It doesn't help that generally we don't pick an exciting team or play an exciting way.

International football can be exciting still (Scotland had one heck of a finish for example) just don't expect to see it in every game. To be honest for the most part the group stages are typically predictable with very few shocks, certainly during qualification.

ZXJacob

Post by ZXJacob » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:59 pm

I agree. The 'Media Machine' certainly has a lot to answer for in terms of raising the hopes of England fans. The front cover of the red tops always state 'We're going to win it' with some mock up picture of Stuart Pearce in a soldiers hat at the start of every big tournament.

I am going to watch the England v Wales game on tuesday night though. I bit of local rivalry will spice things up a bit :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Papers all start praising us , and end up slagging us off even before we've finished the tournament , usually targetting the England boss.
Who can forget the terrible abuse Bobby Robson got in the World Cup , before he ended up being lauded as a hero?

Until England stop paying players for appearing for England and giving them incentives to win things (do you really need a cash incentive to win the World Cup!?). Anyone who refuses to play for England if they don't get paid - then great , we're well shut of them. And until I see players playing with the same pride and passion for their nation as they do for their club, I find it hard to raise my pride and passion for watching them.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:We won! WE WON!!! HahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And all I had to do was sacrifice a goat.

Shame it did England a favour, but what can you do?

I'm shocked, and confused. What have we done to deserve Wales winning a competitive match against a decent opponent?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:09 am

I know what I did - do you know how difficult it is to wash out goat's blood?

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:11 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: Until England stop paying players for appearing for England and giving them incentives to win things (do you really need a cash incentive to win the World Cup!?). Anyone who refuses to play for England if they don't get paid - then great , we're well shut of them. And until I see players playing with the same pride and passion for their nation as they do for their club, I find it hard to raise my pride and passion for watching them.
That is something I could never really understand - players not giving their best when representing the country. There`s no bigger thing in football, and yet time & again you see some England players sleepwalking through the game.

Perhaps it is the soda water to the head effect that comes with earning more in a week than some entire families earn in a year :/