2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Re: 2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

Post by dste » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Can somebody please tell me why the hell we got rid of Billy Davies and replaced him with McClaren? :roll:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ZXJacob

Post by ZXJacob » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:44 pm

boggyb68 wrote:
ZXJacob wrote:I cant really see there being much of a race for 4th place this year. The teams look decided already. Arsenal and Tottenham look well off the pace. In a way it seems a weaker league than in previous seasons, but it is only early days yet. I feel sorry for Wenger. He has not been given support in the transfer market and this will be Arsenals worse season since he has been at the helm I think.
Yeah it really pissed me off today how we rolled over and let you steamroller us.. I mean in the corresponding fixture last season you scraped a 0-0 and only for Joe Hart would have got a drubbing by the same scoreline as today.. But Mancini has spent the billions wiseley while we've spent censored all.. Which just show's in the last 2 results.. On paper we have a good side.. But atm on paper is all it is..

I, even as a Spurs fan take no enjoyment in seeing Arsenal get annialated, it just isn't right, there is some deep rooted problems there which need sorting, they have not overnight become that bad, even without Nasri and Fabregas, they still have a decent squad and just need to get their self belief and confidence back before things get worse.. As do we.. Thank censored for the international break...

As for the Manchester dominance.. Help us Chelsea FC, you're our only hope... :)

B.
I was as suprised as anyone with the City V Spurs result, You are right - the same fixture last year, City were lucky to get a point. On paper the teams were much closer than the result suggests, with spurs having one of the best midfields in europe in my eyes. I think the Modric scenario has really affected Spurs, and the quicker he goes the better. Plus with a possible 40+million for him. Harry could really strengthen to get the CL spot. He is leaving it a little late though...

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 pm

dste wrote:Can somebody please tell me why the hell we got rid of Billy Davies and replaced him with McClaren? :roll:
Because you did :) lol
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

OldSkool

Post by OldSkool » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:58 am

It was a bit of an odd move. Davies has consistently got you into the playoffs. Maybe they thought McClaren would have what it takes to push you on to the next level. Or he is just cheaper than Davies and will do exactly what the board want, as long as they give him a steady supply of umbrellas.

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:27 am

Non League Day - 3rd September 2011
With England playing on Friday 2nd September and the Premier League and Championship taking a week off, I urge all fans of the big clubs to get out and watch their local Non-League teams instead on Saturday 3rd September 2011!

Given the current financial climate, clubs outside the football league need all the support they can get, so your presence at a game will be genuinely appreciated. With tickets and refreshments at a fraction of the cost, what's stopping you!
Non-League Day is a celebration of the semi-professional and amateur game and a chance for fans of bigger clubs to experience football at a level they may be otherwise unfamiliar with. Moreover, it is a chance to shine a light on the hundreds of clubs in this country who are almost exclusively volunteer run, and do so much good for the local community, be it through coaching, fund raising or providing opportunities for local people.

This year we aim to make the day bigger and better than ever. Macmillan Cancer Support have come on board as our official charity, ex-England international Chris Waddle is our official ambassador, and we have now secured the backing of the All Party Football Group in Parliament.

In addition, Blue Square have organised a special three-game hop, with countless other clubs running special events all over the country.

The website has been designed as an interactive resource for fans across the country to discover their local team, learn more about the non-league game, and keep abreast of developments as they happen. If supporters or clubs wish to submit news, articles, photos or videos relating to their plans on the day, or non-league football in general, then please feel free to get in touch via the contact page.

We will try to publicise as many stories as possible. Additionally, we welcome any feedback on the content of the site. It is designed by the fans, for the fans, so your thoughts and opinions are invaluable.

http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Hiya all, Arsenal man here (before you start, it actually was/will be again my local team :)

So, Black Sunday and all that...but we`ve been the Masters of Meltdown for last few years anyway, only now it happens right at the beginning. So maybe there`s hope still? Also, it`s sort of fun being the underdog. And whaddyaknow, now we`re mates with ol` Fergie, who all of the sudden started talking sense :)

All in all, looks like a crazy season in the making...looking forward to all the drama. Good on Norwich & Swansea, sod QPR (only coz my old flatmate who was a tool liked them ;)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 pm

rebelstar wrote:Hiya all, Arsenal man here (before you start, it actually was/will be again my local team :)

So, Black Sunday and all that...but we`ve been the Masters of Meltdown for last few years anyway, only now it happens right at the beginning. So maybe there`s hope still? Also, it`s sort of fun being the underdog. And whaddyaknow, now we`re mates with ol` Fergie, who all of the sudden started talking sense :)

All in all, looks like a crazy season in the making...looking forward to all the drama. Good on Norwich & Swansea, sod QPR (only coz my old flatmate who was a tool liked them ;)
It did make me chuckle after the United match when Wenger was asked about new signings and mentioned he was about to sign a new striker! This after they could have easily scored 4 against Man Utd. A new keeper possibly , some new defenders and a captain in midfield certainly , but another striker? Really?

The thing with Wneger is that he's very astute and you can pretty much guarantee he'll bring some real quality into the team. He just needs time and backing from the fans and the board.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:29 am

No trophies for over 6 years & going backwards at a rate of knots, how much time does he need? :?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:58 am

rebelstar wrote:Hiya all, Arsenal man here (before you start, it actually was/will be again my local team :)

Are you rebelstarwithoutacause on WOS?

This is, at least they've gone out and bought some players already! Spurs are still holding back trying to get a deal, how long the gonna wait :roll:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 am

Transfer deadline day is here people! Hopefully it will pick up later
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:41 am

Nah mate, just ol`plain Rebelstar Raider :) (what`s WOS anyway?)

Yeah, that post-match "So we don`t have any defence or midfield but are getting a striker!" was pure Wegner. Lol. Of course he made some major mistakes and like anyone else will not admit it - but I still, I love him...guy`s an original with a vision and likes of Pep & Suralex seem to recognize it. So we didn`t win anything for years, oh well. When we eventually will, it will be only that much more fun. And I also got bit tired of all the usual "gooners fans yeah only when they roll high otherwise a goner" stuff...well, we`re flat on our asses and I`m still here.

Spurs I was rather jealous of last season...they seemed to be walking on water, especially after some years of dullness. Dont` like Mr Redknapp too much, but it seemed that he certainly has done some good there. Not a great start this year I admit, still early doors though. And what`s the point of keeping Modric if he doesnt` want to play?

So yeah, we apparently bought some non-strikers (hehe) too. We`ll see...although not holding my breath they`re gonna be as superb as Nasri or Arshavin (well, early Arshavin that is :)

dste

Post by dste » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:35 pm

OldSkool wrote:It was a bit of an odd move. Davies has consistently got you into the playoffs. Maybe they thought McClaren would have what it takes to push you on to the next level. Or he is just cheaper than Davies and will do exactly what the board want, as long as they give him a steady supply of umbrellas.
I imagine pretty much all of that.

Yes, Davies made some mistakes, especially his selection against Swansea in the play-offs last season but overall we kept finishing in the play-offs under him and we never played as badly as we have been playing recently.

The really annoying thing is how we needed (and still need) a left-back but there was no money and suddenly under McClaren we had £1.2 to spend on yet another striker.

Another great thing is that we lost nine players over the summer and we have just let another go today. :roll:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:21 pm

I feel sorry for Everton at the moment but they are getting some money for the players they are selling but its a bad balance
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm

retrogamerdude wrote:I feel sorry for Everton at the moment but they are getting some money for the players they are selling but its a bad balance

If they sell Arteta it will give Everton a great opportunity to pocket the cash and say they didn't have time to go out and replace him.

Simply cannot see Moyes staying at Everton much longer.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:06 pm

So Arteta & Benayoun are Arsenal players as of ...now :) Pretty crazy last minute rush I must admit. Well, we`ll see...

It sure is silly how anyone good from lower tier teams always gets sucked into the big boys after a year or two. Also Mr.Crouch seems to have been treated rather harshly. Premiership: evil, but entertaining :/