2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: 2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

Post by pratty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:14 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:The worst liverpool team in living memory now have 6 (yes, fcuking SIX) players in the squad!!!
Oh yes, we're taking over. Excellent work Agent Hodgeson, muahahaha. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:44 pm

At least the captain deserves the armband, I'd love us to win it (highly doubtful I know)... if only to rub Terry's nose in it

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Something else to blame Liverpool FC for when England lose then!

'King' Roy FTW! 8)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 pm

pratty wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:The worst liverpool team in living memory now have 6 (yes, fcuking SIX) players in the squad!!!
Oh yes, we're taking over. Excellent work Agent Hodgeson, muahahaha. :lol:
Probably 1 more now Cahill has been ruled out with a broken jaw. He is even calling up the second team players now!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Ah I remember the days when half the England team consisted of LFC players... 6 in the team this memorable night..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ0uIKjommQ

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:39 am

The death of football is near....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-18337392

I know how p*ssed off I am that we have blue in our home shirt next season but this proves its all about the money now - history and tradition can clearly f**k off from this point onwards :(
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:24 am

That's pretty bad.

Sadly, football started going downhill the moment Sky bought the telly rights. The national sport was sold down the river by those in power.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:48 am

^^ whilst you have a point, football coverage was pretty shite before sky came along.

Sadly, cricket has now been sold up the river the same way. I remember as a lad growing up watching cricket on TV, my sons are unlikely to unless I do a massive uturn and decide that Rupert Murdoch isn't an arrogant, despicable oversized walnut after all :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 am

greenberet79 wrote:Sadly, football started going downhill the moment Sky bought the telly rights. The national sport was sold down the river by those in power.
Apparantly Alan Sugar had a huge part in Sky securing the rights (allegedly and all that), Sky would be nothing without the football and they bloody know it.

ITV offered £205million for the television rights and later increased their offer to £262million but were outbid by Rupert Murdoch who saw it as the make or break opportunity to lure new customers to their loss-making satellite service Sky Television plc who had been advised by Tottenham Hotspur Chairman Alan Sugar. Trevor East of ITV heard Sugar on the telephone speaking to Murdoch at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London in May 1992 advising an increased bid for the television rights. Sugar is alleged to have told Murdoch to "Blow them out of the water".[3]

Sugar, at the time was supplying SKY with Satellite Dishes and was the only Chairperson of a big five club to vote in favour of Sky's bid. The other large clubs were reluctant to accept Sky's bid due to it being a non-terrestrial television service and no pledge from SKY to feature their games more regularly was made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundatio ... ier_League

Anyone remember when SKY had the balls to charge for PPV football on top of subscriptions? Thank God that failed.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:The death of football is near....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-18337392

I know how p*ssed off I am that we have blue in our home shirt next season but this proves its all about the money now - history and tradition can clearly f**k off from this point onwards :(
He's palming it off in saying dragons and the colour red are lucky.

REALLY? :? :? :?

Again... 98 points and still didn't go up... :(

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:33 pm

That's been bugging me ever since I heard their plans the change the kit to red & have a dragon on their badge...

.....WHY DID THEY NOT JUST BUY WREXHAM?!??!???
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Its such a shame what has happened to Cardiff, could this be the start of foreign owners starting to properly take the censored with English football.

In other news, my team Coventry City seem to think we can play like Brazil next season:

Our away kit is styled on the Brazil kit, although it should be mentioned the yellow and green theme is based on our shirt sponsors, City Link.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:47 am

i sincerely hope there is some kind of fan revolt in cardiff over this. it's just not right.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:Its such a shame what has happened to Cardiff, could this be the start of foreign owners starting to properly take the censored with English football.
Think people are getting paranoid. Go back years when foreign owners first started buying clubs and people were moaning about the names of the stadiums getting changed, fans dont seem to mind as much when theres a huge sponsorship deal out of it, they get better players and start doing well.

Remember in the early days of the premiership and onwards when people moaned about all the foreign players ? For me personally that got me back into footy as i loved seeing the big names play for certain clubs.

If Cardiff go up next year due to some big signings due to their foreign owner i reckon it'll win over a lot of fans.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:12 am

i think there is a difference. they are nicknamed the bluebirds. can you imagine if spurs, or manchester city, or everton were bought and told they were going to play in red? i can't see that going down too well. i don't think it did chelsea or city any harm not being in red this season, either.

in other news - he was 54...

Sporting Gijon have confirmed former coach Manuel Preciado has died of a heart attack just a day after he was named Villarreal's new boss.

Preciado was sacked by Sporting in January after five-and-a-half years in charge, but had been handed the task of leading Villarreal back into La Liga this week.