2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

greenberet79

Re: 2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:30 am

Yep, the LFC statement was OTT. And so were the newspapers, with the Daily Mirror simply having their headline as "RACIST".

Did Michael Owen really call someone a peasant? - ''First-rate bitchery from Michael Owen on Twitter on Tuesday. In response to a relatively light-hearted dig about him spending a good deal of time on the bench at United, Owen responded to a punter thusly:

'Hilarious when your picture has a big roll of fat hanging over your shorts. Had a successful life have you? Peasant.'

Football is just full of class!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:19 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Im sure JT might try that one also - I can imagine him in court saying that in his circles calling someone a "f*cking black c*nt" means "I really respect you as a footballer and as a person".... :wink:
It's a sad state of affairs when the word everyone has a problem with in "f*cking black c*nt" is the only one that isn't censored...
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:22 pm

"Anarchy at Ajax! AZ players walk off during Dutch Cup clash after keeper is dismissed for booting pitch invader"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... vader.html

See the video at the bottom of the linked page! :shock:

Memories of Cloughie, anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRl9U0MSzo :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:58 pm

To me me it seems a case of the FA saying "ignorance is no defence". Suarez used a term that is deemed unacceptable here, all Suarez needed was to be warned about this and given a single match ban to drive it home.

The 8 match ban is excessive, it seems to me that Suarez was thrown under the bus to make a "zero tolerance" statement, despite this issue not being a cut and dry case of pure racism.

Nobody is saying Suarez didn't use a term that is unacceptable, the point is I don't believe Suarez used it to offend Evra racially.

From wikipedia: "In this case, the diminutive negrito is used, as a term of endearment meaning "pal", "buddy" or "friend". Negrito has come to be used to refer to a person of any ethnicity or color, and also can have a sentimental or romantic connotation similar to "sweetheart," or "dear" in English."

I don't doubt he used the term sarcastically, but that doesn't mean his using the term was racist, just descriptive. Why use a descriptive term at all? It's a fair question but it seems to be the way things are in Uruguay and nobody there has a problem with it. Tim Vickery said on Five Live Suarez would call Dirk Kuyt "Blondie" in training, so he and other Uruguayans don't just reserve descriptive nicknames for black people either.

Johnson was one of the players supporting Suarez, I'm sure he wouldn't do that if he genuinely thought Suarez had racially abused Evra. I think his is an important stance to highlight the distinction between a linguistic faux pas and genuine racism.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:57 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:"Anarchy at Ajax! AZ players walk off during Dutch Cup clash after keeper is dismissed for booting pitch invader"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... vader.html

See the video at the bottom of the linked page! :shock:
You never know what some fans might have in there pocket or hand (in this case pocket maybe) why the keeper got sent off for protecting himself is beyond me (he lashed out after he was on the ground but i would if i was going to be attacked though) but the red card has been scrapped and he can play in the Dutch Cup game when it gets replayed
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 pm

pratty wrote: Johnson was one of the players supporting Suarez, I'm sure he wouldn't do that if he genuinely thought Suarez had racially abused Evra. I think his is an important stance to highlight the distinction between a linguistic faux pas and genuine racism.
Team-mate factor, again with how Terry can still get on with his team mates "he may be racist but he's on our side" after all. Liverpool have already used the "Luis has black friends".

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:16 pm

lanky316 wrote:
pratty wrote: Johnson was one of the players supporting Suarez, I'm sure he wouldn't do that if he genuinely thought Suarez had racially abused Evra. I think his is an important stance to highlight the distinction between a linguistic faux pas and genuine racism.
Team-mate factor, again with how Terry can still get on with his team mates "he may be racist but he's on our side" after all. Liverpool have already used the "Luis has black friends".
So you're saying the multi-ethnic Liverpool team is happy to sell out their beliefs for league points?

I don't think it's that Johnson condones the term used by Suarez, he probably doesn't. It's that he understands the distinction between using an unacceptable term (which Suarez is guilty of) and genuine racism, and feels the punishment doesn't fit the crime.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:50 pm

pratty wrote:
lanky316 wrote:
So you're saying the multi-ethnic Liverpool team is happy to sell out their beliefs for league points?

I don't think it's that Johnson condones the term used by Suarez, he probably doesn't. It's that he understands the distinction between using an unacceptable term (which Suarez is guilty of) and genuine racism, and feels the punishment doesn't fit the crime.
It'll be interesting to see the details of the verdict when they're published soon.

Maybe the reason the punishment handed out to Suarez is so incredibly lenient is because the independent panel took such matters into account.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

dste

Post by dste » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:04 pm

On a lighter note Marc Albrighton of Aston Villa scored the 20,000th goal in the Premier League since it's formation.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:20 am

pratty wrote:
lanky316 wrote:

You've not seen this football thing before then? Players will stand by the team mates no matter what as long as it benefits the team regardless of what their personal opinion is. They know full well THEY will be the villain if they were the exception so they go along with it. Hell even football fans will do the same thing look how people are getting up in arms about it. Boris had it right with his "Self Pity City" comment.

Incidentally the punishment is way too lenient, had I spent last night calling Ashley Cole a little black boy I wouldn't be setting foot in a football ground for three years.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 am

Football fans are hypocrites. They pick and choose what's right and wrong for what suits them in particular situations. The same ones who are getting self-righteous over Suarez are the same fans who'll be screaming "you fat ba******/you cockney ******/you scouse *******'' during the next game at whoever they don't like.
Last edited by greenberet79 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:57 am

lanky316 wrote:Boris had it right with his "Self Pity City" comment.
If you think Suarez is a racist, what does that make you for deriding a million people from Liverpool?
Last edited by greenberet79 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:10 am

lanky316 wrote:Incidentally the punishment is way too lenient, had I spent last night calling Ashley Cole a little black boy I wouldn't be setting foot in a football ground for three years.
Now this is something that interests me. On the way home from Wolves on Tuesday night, we heard news of the Suarez punishment on the radio and somebody pointed out that in the late Nineties, a Norwich fan got a two-year ban for shouting some pretty horrendous racist abuse at a player on several occasions. I'm really not interested about getting into a debate about Suarez and if he should have been found guilty etc, but if we assume the punishment will stand regardless of appeal... how can a fan get two years and a player only eight games? That in itself sets a precedent that if somebody else does something similar in the future, they can get away with missing only eight matches and a fine that they can afford without losing sleep over it. If you give a player a ban similar to what a supporter would get then I'm pretty sure you'd wipe the problem out pretty quickly (I hope).
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:38 am

greenberet79 wrote:
lanky316 wrote:Boris had it right with his "Self Pity City" comment.
If you think Suarez is a racist, what does that make you for deriding a million people from Liverpool?
One making an observation and utilising a quote from a politician ;) There are few people who play the victims card as well as Liverpools supporters (generally) and team, perhaps Jose Mourinho would come close but that's it. There are few people who when someone confesses to utilising racially abusive language (albeit "accidentally" and it being "a missunderstanding") would be up in arms quite to this extent. It's no coincidence that it's them that are doing it.

It shocks me actually how Chelsea fans have (generally) just quietly accepted it, support the team etc, but they're just hoping they don't lose him for too long at a bad time.