2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

lanky316

Re: 2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

Post by lanky316 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:39 am

Was pleasantly surprised by the Spurs performance yesterday. So many injuries at the moment and having not kicked a ball in anger thought we'd be off the pace but pretty good. Was over in quarter of an hour.

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:37 pm

If the season was cut short right now, Brighton would be promoted to the Premiership. I'm loving this but I still can't help feeling that our bubble will eventually burst and we'll end up in another relegation battle. 20 odd years of watching us fail has taken its toll and I can't quite believe we're actually pretty bloody good at the moment! May the Gus Bus roll on.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:18 pm

OldSkool wrote:I would like to propose an analogy for Arsene Wenger, it is a little bit left-field, but all football analogies are half-baked. It is September, a cold winter has been forecast, while also a heatwave for next summer has also been confirmed. Rather than Wenger going out to the shops and buying himself some sturdy boots and warm clothes for the winter, he instead blows his money on some flip-flops, bermuda shorts and a flowery shirt. Now these clothes will be fine in the future, but there is a long time until they will be of any use. Rather than going back to the shop and buying something for suitable, he wears said summer clothes through the whole of the winter, freezing himself but with blue lips saying, "well see what you say when the heat comes". He then sells his summer clothes when the heat arrives and does the same thing again. Repeat, repeat until , well who knows.
But you don't understand - Wenger has 'beeleef' in his players :D
Today's result at the Emirates gives us a good idea of what's going to happen over the next nine months: Arsenal are going to be last year's Liverpool, while Liverpool are going to be last year's Arsenal.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Nah , Arsene can't be left-field , he's sold all his wingers.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Toon Army beating the Mackems again - just fantastic! 1-0 to the Toon Army!!! 1-0!!!
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Hampton and Richmond started playing some great passing football during preseason - now, we're three games in with no points!

Went to see AFC Wimbledon draw 1-1 with Wimbledon yesterday. Very entertaining end to end game with some shocking passing from the home team in places.

ZXJacob

Post by ZXJacob » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Am really looking forward to going to some Champions League Games as a Man City fan this year. There is something magical about that competition! Even the TV theme tune send shivers down my spine..

To balance it out though I am going to go to a few games of my local team Trafford FC who play in the Evo Stik league. Non league football has a certain magic too :)

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Liverpool top of the Premier League after Saturday's games - Blackburn bottom of the league atm after 3 games
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 am

Very pleased with our performance at Chelsea yesterday. We certainly gave them a run for their money and had Torres been sent off like he should have done it may well have been different. We played some great football and carved out several good chances - great finish from Holty for the equaliser but missed two considerably easier ones and the Morison chance at 1-1 (when his extra touch allowed Terry to get back and intercept) was pretty huge in the context of what followed.

But I'm very proud of them and although we still haven't won yet, we've performed better with each passing game and all the players look comfortable regardless of what system we decide to play so I'm confident we'll have another good season.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:21 pm

May as well just have a play-off between United and City and have done with it... :?

Worth putting a sneaky fiver on Arsenal to be relegated?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Such a shame for Arsenal today. One of the greatest managers completely losing it tactically; but then again what can you do with a second-string team against the English champions? He's still a superb manager in my mind , but I get the feeling there are things going on behind the scenes that are affecting Arsenal , and it wouldn't surprise me if Wenger's team and tactics today is sending a message to those in charge of Arsenal.

As for Man City, I can see the increasing squad size being a hindrance to their chances of winning the PL. Either players will become rusty or disillusioned kicking their heels sitting on the bench (if they're lucky), but then again anyone who's signed for them in the last 2 years knows exactly what they're buying themselves into.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Unbelievable scoreline, Arsenal are a shambles now. Spuds got turned over the last couple of weeks too, but to be fair, it has been to both Mancs.

ZXJacob

Post by ZXJacob » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I cant really see there being much of a race for 4th place this year. The teams look decided already. Arsenal and Tottenham look well off the pace. In a way it seems a weaker league than in previous seasons, but it is only early days yet. I feel sorry for Wenger. He has not been given support in the transfer market and this will be Arsenals worse season since he has been at the helm I think.

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Man Utd's 8-2 win wasnt the worst this weekend - Bedlington 15-0 Stokesley in the Northern League on Saturday
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:57 pm

ZXJacob wrote:I cant really see there being much of a race for 4th place this year. The teams look decided already. Arsenal and Tottenham look well off the pace. In a way it seems a weaker league than in previous seasons, but it is only early days yet. I feel sorry for Wenger. He has not been given support in the transfer market and this will be Arsenals worse season since he has been at the helm I think.
Yeah it really pissed me off today how we rolled over and let you steamroller us.. I mean in the corresponding fixture last season you scraped a 0-0 and only for Joe Hart would have got a drubbing by the same scoreline as today.. But Mancini has spent the billions wiseley while we've spent censored all.. Which just show's in the last 2 results.. On paper we have a good side.. But atm on paper is all it is..

I, even as a Spurs fan take no enjoyment in seeing Arsenal get annialated, it just isn't right, there is some deep rooted problems there which need sorting, they have not overnight become that bad, even without Nasri and Fabregas, they still have a decent squad and just need to get their self belief and confidence back before things get worse.. As do we.. Thank censored for the international break...

As for the Manchester dominance.. Help us Chelsea FC, you're our only hope... :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip