The increase in pollen.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

The increase in pollen.

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu May 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Who has been having trouble with this. For the first time ever I have found myself suffering with heyfever and all week I have had irritation in my left eye, now I am on eye drops. I've never had a problem with it before and I can't be the only one who is suddenly having trouble.
Who else is reacting to the increased pollen?

Joey

Re: The increase in pollen.

Post by Joey » Thu May 19, 2011 12:49 pm

I suffer from hay fever every year but it hasn't started yet.

Boots own brand tablets sort me out.

1980-20..

Post by 1980-20.. » Thu May 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Another vote for boots own brand ones here too. Ive not started yet either but i have been getting headaches and sore eyes.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Thu May 19, 2011 2:06 pm

I dont get the sore eyes or runny nose thing, i just get a blocked nose that takes forever to shift.

Use Loratodine off the doctor, good stuff and miles better than Piriton and the like.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu May 19, 2011 2:25 pm

i have to use Ventolin...... have done for about 18 years i think.... no sore eyes, but sneeze sneeze
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu May 19, 2011 2:39 pm

I have been very lucky so far and not got anything, although it is usually the tree pollen I suffer from more.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu May 19, 2011 6:55 pm

I used to suffer incredibly badly from hayfever, to the point where I just loathed the summer. Usually manifested itself in sneezing, itchy eys and sore throat, but occasionally I'd get nosebleeds (bled all over my GCSE RS exam paper, which wasn't a nice experience).

About 5 or 6 years ago I was put on a steroid (the cortisone, not the anabolic!), but only briefly as they pulled the drug due to reported side effects. After that I was put on a course of fexofenadine hydrochloride (usually branded as Telfast) and I've never looked back. Practically obliterated my hayfever, to the point now that even though I get automatcially prescribed the drug around this time of year in preparation for the summer, I usually forget to start the course as I don't really get the symptoms any more. If I start to see signs, a few tablets soon fixes it.

Deffo recommend it to people who suffer. It's not just for chronic sufferers like I was, but for all levels. It's basically just an anti-hystamine. Ask your doctor for Telfast today!
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 pm

I to suffer from it.
Not right now, but got a sneezure a few days back.

its bloody annoying as i just keep sneezing for about a minute

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri May 20, 2011 2:41 am

Basically I'm a wheezing lump all year.

I have allergic rhinitis and allergic asthma, both triggered by....

Pollen (all types)
Animal hair
Dust
Dust mites
Peppers
Courgettes

....and many many other things.

If I use both my inhalers, nasal spray and keep myself dosed up on antihistamines I'm cool though.

And from an experienced allergy sufferer, Sainsbury's non-drowsy antihistamines are the best.....they are less than a quid for 14.

James A

Post by James A » Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 am

Normally get it bad with the tree pollen but it seems to vary year from year. I have to grin and bear it as i work outside 90% of the time and although the tablets say non drowsy i have a problem with them putting me to sleep so i can't take them as i use alot of heavy machinery. I have to use the nasal sprays which can sometimes work but other times aren't that effective. Found local honey helps to a degree.

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Fri May 20, 2011 4:15 am

I had a worsening grass pollen allergy since I was about 15 (nearly 20 years). By chance, last time I moved house, I changed doctors and the new one referred me to a research program - I think it's called allergen immunotherapy in english (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergen_immunotherapy) The idea is to inject you regularly with a small controlled dose of the thing you react to, starting with weekly shots where the dose gets increased until you get up to a regulation dose every couple of months.

Granted, it's a tiny bit of a hassle having to go to the hospital to get the injections - you have to sit around for half an hour after to make sure you dont have some big reaction.

I'll probably have to keep this up for another 3 years or so but I can say that it's definitely working - before I started on it, I'd got to the point where I needed 2 cortisone injections a season, was popping 1-2 aerius(sp?) every day, and still had to take a couple of sick days at the worst part of the year where I just stayed indoors and tried to keep my eyes closed. The summer after I started, I took maybe 5 allergy pills all season, last year, nothing, and its going well this year too.

I'd definitely recommend it, I'm sure it must be available in the UK (despite what I hear about the NHS these days). I guess it's a bit late to start this season now though.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:48 am

Never had it when I was a kid, but started getting it quite badly about 10 years ago, then had it for a few years.

I haven't had it THAT badly in the past couple of years though - I've been taking Stinging Nettle tablets everyday for the past few years. They're supposed to help - and maybe they do. I get them from Holland and Barrett.

I do live and work in a city centre though, I don't often find myself in fields or forests.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 20, 2011 7:21 am

I find that the hayfever pills I get from the poundshop work best for me

But not the drowsy ones
They just make me feel like crap

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 am

Yeah I suffer from hayfever pretty bad. It hasn't started yet. Nowadays I don't bother with any hayfever tablets(they don't seem to work that well with me), I just put up with it, after all it is only 3 months of a year. Plus I am saving myself some money on hayfever tablets!

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Sun May 22, 2011 3:10 am

I used to get vile hay fever when I was a kid, from about 7 onwards I spent most of the Summers inside playing computer games (still cite this as the reason I got into gaming). No matter what pills (usually Triludan Forte) I took I'd be a streaming, blind, snotty mess two seconds after stepping out the front door between May and September.

I remember the first time I got it, I was playing in the dirt in some back lanes a few streets away from home when it came on from nowhere. My eyes started burning and I had a sneezing fit then all the fluid in my body started to p*ss out f my nose and eyes, felt a bit like being CS sprayed. I had no idea what was going on and staggered home in a right state.

It was pretty much the same every year until I was in my mid-twenties and it's gradually declined with each passing year. I only take a one-a-day Loratadine (from the Pound Shop) now and I'm ok, I can't take the Cetirizine as they make me really grumpy.

I feel sorry for the poor b*stards who are getting it for their first time now as adults. It's a motherf*cker and although I would happily wish it on my worst enemy anyone else who suffers from hay fever gets my sympathy.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."