3do controller question

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nwosteve

3do controller question

Post by nwosteve » Thu May 05, 2011 6:22 am

i have lost the controller to my 3do does anyone know if another pad from another system will work on it?
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: 3do controller question

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu May 05, 2011 7:17 am

Nah, don't think so. You'll have to be paying £20+ for another one, sadly.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:40 am

Yup.your out of luck according to this link- http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=24632
You run the risk of damaging the 3DO if you try to use Genesis pads on it.
The reason is that the 3DO uses a serial bus for communication between 3DO peripherals and therefore 3DO peripherals are active devices. Genesis pads, while technically active devices too, would essentially be simple switch boxes to the 3DO port and would short the voltage supply to numerous pins of the 3DO peripheral port.
While the physical layout of the pins is similar between the Genesis and 3DO, the signaling standards are completely different.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Do MD controllers fit anyway? They only have pin connectors whereas 3DO pads have a square-ish metal bit around the pins. But yeah, don't use them anyway!

3DO pads are stupidly expensive but I've seen a boxed one go for less than a tenner before. They only seem expensive because the majority of examples on ebay are on BIN's not auctions. Just keep looking and I'm sure a fair buy will eventually present itself.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.