Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gonad

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by Gonad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:33 am

resident paul wrote:They also sell bartops & mini cabs!
...which were awesome. The only thing that puts me off them is the prospect of trying to reattach my
nads after arriving back home with one under my arm.
ImageImage

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:45 am

Any chippy that does battered haggis, chips and a banana Yazoo for £2.45 is up there with the best of them :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

subzero

Post by subzero » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:04 am

Hilton sucked as a venue for that kind of thing, acoustics were all wrong,i still enjoyed sid 80's as thats the sixth time I've seen them and every time has been different, still wasn't the same without mark knight though.Had only the one drink all evening when I bought a 330ml bottle of cider and got 90p change from a five pound note! made it last all evening!!

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:41 am

resident paul wrote:They also sell bartops & mini cabs!
Yeah, no room for any of those either. Not even the small slimline ones :-(

Turnarcades

Post by Turnarcades » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks for the comments peeps. Helensification, at least we exchanged a few words briefly at the tombola stand if I remember rightly, and I did have fleeting coversations with others on my room fly-bys in the same way too (often bumped into Chris Wilkins and dropped a few words out, Mat Corne and the Vinster too!). As to you other guys, as much as we aim to sell to 'people like us' on similar budget and space restraints, we know that any arcade machine is still outside many gamer's boundaries but thanks for your comments anyways. This is why we attend with showy cabinets rather than just bring little projects we could just knock out for a quick buck. Thankfully though the official launch of our Microcade at the show went down well and so many people were asking if we had any to take away right then and there!

A few of the press visitors have offered to do pieces on the work we do, and we did a full piece with GamerDads right there at the show, so I'll post links to that vidcast when it goes up online if anyone wants to see it!

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:34 pm

I loved your SF4 cabinet, great design choice making it slim!

I even had a few rounds on it with Justin from Electronic Dojo and he was impressed too!

Just needs Sanwa OBSF buttons instead of the ones you had :wink:

Turnarcades

Post by Turnarcades » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Joey wrote:I loved your SF4 cabinet, great design choice making it slim!

I even had a few rounds on it with Justin from Electronic Dojo and he was impressed too!

The flashy lit buttons were really for show; obviously the console fighter fans would prefer convex buttons and we could do this for anyone who asked. I know Jon Stoodley and a couple of other guys would have liked leaf-spring buttons for rapidfinger games like Hyper Sports and Track & Field too. Maybe we'll put together some smaller type-specific cabinets for the next show, like Bar-Tops with the classics, a 4-way stick and leaf spring buttons, and maybe a larger cab with Sanwa parts for fighters.

freemonk

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread (inc name badge reque

Post by freemonk » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Joey wrote:
freemonk wrote: I'm not 100% sure if we'll be attending next year due to us having a 6 month old baby by that time
That's no excuse... me and my 7 week old, Dylan :wink:

He slept most of the day through all the noise!

I was looking out for you on Sat but missed you again.
Now that is awesome! lol

The first thing me and my partner saw when we first walking into the R3Play hall was a women walking around with a baby in a body carrier! We were quick shocked, not because we thought it was wrong, but because the baby was fast asleep and unaware of any of the loud sounds going on in the hall.

We are hoping to attend next year, with the possibility of Teresa's parents taking care of the baby during the day for us whilst we are at the show, but we'll see nearer the time!
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

Joey

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread (inc name badge reque

Post by Joey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:08 pm

freemonk wrote: The first thing me and my partner saw when we first walking into the R3Play hall was a women walking around with a baby in a body carrier! We were quick shocked, not because we thought it was wrong, but because the baby was fast asleep and unaware of any of the loud sounds going on in the hall.
Yes, that would have been my missus and baby, easier than maneuvering a pushchair with the amount of people this year :)

felicemaggie

Post by felicemaggie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:39 pm

This was my first ever Replay event and I enjoyed it very much, along with my wife and my best man, who also came to the show with us. We were part of the Jagfest-UK team who were situated close to the Attic Bug corner stand and we'd also brought an Atari Falcon computer, running various games, along to the table as well.

The event itself was nice and big, with quite a lot going on too. I want to thank the entire organising team for putting on such a great event and I hope it can be repeated at least bi-annually, if not annually in the future. The Norbreck hotel itself is a great place to hold the show and, like a number of posters here, although I was born down south after my parents moved there, because my family are northeast-based we always used to go to Blackpool for a week, usually during the Spring Bank Holiday week from the early 70's to the late 90's. I think we got a bit turned off by how Blackpool as a town was, at that time, going rather downhill, which was a shame back then.

Blackpool has always been quirky; as a result of the holiday week each year spent there my exposure to arcade games was one of the many reasons I looked forward to visiting the town from year to year when I was younger. It is good to see that money is being spent on the town to smarten it up though, particularly with the Promenade. The places I used to visit to play the arcade games were usually all three piers (even though the Central Pier was the closest to where we stayed) and Mr B's, along with other places too along the front.

Whilst nothing official has been written in concrete, I certainly am of the impression that we as the Jagfest-UK team will support this event as and when it is held again. We learnt one or two things from the Amibay team in terms of having information available on the spec of each machine they had on display and that is something which we realised was lacking from our area. We'll do better on that next time round, I promise :)

I can't speak for everyone who was with us as the Jagfest-UK team but am in touch with the vast majority of them on FB; some of whom have probably not read this thread for a while. If anyone has any feedback for us about our area, please feel free to post it here and I'll ensure that the right people get to know of it, so they can respond in due course.

All in all, a fantastic event and I look forward to the next one.

The only slight negative was the volume of the Steel Series / Guitar Hero stand at Replay Expo 2011; even though we were far away from the noise in terms of the stand, it was rather deafening and I hope the volume can be tweaked so it is not as loud. Otherwise it was quite a shock for people's ears, being deafened by the noise immediately on arrival. I know there were arcade machines close to the entrance too which also contributed to the noise levels, but maybe some care could be exhibited here. Just a minor niggle, but that won't stop us returning again :)
http://ccc.atari.org - (Cheshunt Computer Club) - Atari Forever !

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Turnarcades wrote:
Joey wrote:I loved your SF4 cabinet, great design choice making it slim!

The flashy lit buttons were really for show; obviously the console fighter fans would prefer convex buttons and we could do this for anyone who asked. I know Jon Stoodley and a couple of other guys would have liked leaf-spring buttons for rapidfinger games like Hyper Sports and Track & Field too. Maybe we'll put together some smaller type-specific cabinets for the next show, like Bar-Tops with the classics, a 4-way stick and leaf spring buttons, and maybe a larger cab with Sanwa parts for fighters.
Yeah, I really liked that SF4 cab - I think that was the only cab of yours I played on with a mate of mine, had a great time playing some SF4 on that thing. Very impressive.

Now if only I had the money and the space to buy one of those !!!!!!

retrogamefest

Post by retrogamefest » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:34 pm

It's taken me a while to get round to it but I though I'd add my reflections on Replay into the mix.

I was in Blackpool for a week, helping with the set up and tear down and also bringing some of my equipment along. The journey up had a last minute detour added in to pick up one of the candy cabs. As is now becomeing traditional my van promptly broke down on arrival at the Norbreck. Luckly the problem was fixed realively simpley and I was back on the road. Being a 'man with a van' I did loads of trips between the Norbreck and the storage containers, ferrying lots of the equipment there and back. Other than a trip to the Lass to pick up two cabs all my driving duties were local which was much nicer than the 1000's of miles I drove last year picking stuff up!

I think the actual weekend was an improvement on last year with more of pretty much everything. During the weekend I was tasked with helping out with the competitions in the funky smelling room. Unfortunatly my first task was to rustle up prizes for all the competitions as the sponsor had decided to drop out on Saturday morning, which was nice of them :evil:

So thanks need to go to the following for donating prizes at the last minute and with very little arm twisting:

Retro GT - £25 vouchers (x4)
Game Dojo - T-Shirts (x3)
1UP 2P - Mugs and badges (x2)
Retro Collect - Gold game controllers (x4)
Pix n Love - History of Nintendo Books (x2)
Hand Baked Arcade - Chip tune CD's (x3)
Team 17 - Original concept art, poster and t-shirt
Atic Bug - Signed Match Day print
EGL - Tickets to there next event (many)
Console Passion - £25 voucher, Plush toys, Time Crisis gun and game set

I have to agree with a lot of the comments on here that the after party was a bit of a dissapointment. But as has already been pointed out, mosly for reasons beyond the control of the organisers.

I enjoyed seeing my Halo 2 table being used for Halo 2 this year and getting a lot more use than last time around. That was after all what I designed it for. It also looked great under the blue lights, glowing nicely (shame the handheld stands got painted blue at Eurogamer eh Dave :wink: ). My space invaders pop up in loads of people photos too which is cool :D

All in all a great albeit tiring weekend.

piku

Post by piku » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Oh yeah, I have a login here... I forgot :-)

Replay was fun. I've been to other similar events but they've been smaller and at the wrong end of the country. Blackpool might be a bit of an armpit in places (before going home on Sunday me and PinkFearie went for some fish & chips in town and got kicked out of the chippy for ... eating inside it?!) but it's convenient for us Northerners. 3 hours in a car? That's almost next door compared with driving to Oxford :) The B&B we stayed in was functional, run by a very happy man who knew who we were before we'd told him and nicely convenient for staggering to at 2am. I've been in far far worse places (who's heard of the Nanford in Oxford? :D )

The main arena was well laid out with plenty of stuff to do and spend money on, although if I hear someone badly sing 'Can I play with madness' again I'm inserting the mic somewhere painful. Watching the rather sterile Kinect stands was amusing when compared to the rest of the room.

If you're using the 'tournament room' again next year, stick some PA speakers in it so we can hear what's going on, and all those 42 inch monitors on tripods that weren't doing much might have made useful display screens for announcements.

Oh! Whoever found PinkFearie's mobile... thanks. My god, you have no idea how much panic and stress losing that caused. Christ on a stick... had her phone gone missing we'd be needing six months in therapy to cope with it. You really do not appreciate how much of a nice and honest thing you did by handing it in. She was proper convinced it'd been stolen and was having a full on headless-chicken fit. :)

Like others have said, the afterparty was a bit ... strange. The paper aeroplanes were cool, especially since it looked to be causing the Hilton staff some irritation ;-) The volume of the music wasn't good. After spending all day in a loud, dark room it would have been nicer to sit in a quieter place where you could talk to people. There was a nice pub near the venue that sold very very cheap beer. The Hilton... not so cheap.

I liked the talks that were going on, and I really like the idea of having things like that to go and see. It makes a nice break from staring at videogames for two days solid. That bit in the entrance with the stalls set up was good too. The Twitter wall was a nice feature too, it needs to somehow show images too though and a few notices telling people to use it.

So overall there was plenty to do and as someone who wasn't really paying attention to how it was being run, it appeared to run smoothly.
Blog | [url=http://error_success.piku.org.uk]Programming blog[/url] | Photos

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 am

What was the name of the sellers that were selling Arcade control parts.? ( trackballs and stuff )

They were located just left of Turnarcade i think.

I've given this thread a quick search but can't locate the name...

Cheers

RIK

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:32 am

The Retro Pit?
Splink!