Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
witchfinder
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am
Location: The Cave of Monsters (AKA Stoke!)
Contact:

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by witchfinder » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:59 am

Nice to see some mostly positive and constructive feedback after the comments of the last couple of days. I also agree about the location of the talks and think they would be better placed in what was used as the tournament room, with the tournaments coming back into the main hall. Sometimes bigger isn't necessarily better and I think the addition of the extra room was a step too far and we didn't really know what to do with it properly.
woody.cool wrote:Now for my biggest downer of the event: The event closing at 7:30pm on the Saturday for some over-priced 'after show party'
This takes critcism of the after-show party to a whole new level - you are complaining about a party that you didn't even go to! :roll:
woody.cool wrote: Also, on this point, every other event I go to, it's been open till late (usually around 11pm - 12 midnight) and we can play games and get drunk all at the same time (usually making for a great evening)
That didn't happen at last year's Replay and it never will... Think of the bigger picture please. There are dozens of people there who are working two 11 hour days at minimum and deserve to have their evening free to relax rather than have to look after what (based on past experience) would be no more than 50-100 people who want to stay late to play more games.

If you want more gaming after the event closes then book one of the smaller rooms at the Norbreck for the evening and set up your own after-show party! ;)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Image

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by felgekarp » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:53 am

Can I just say that I'm suprised at the popularity of the pinball tables on here, aren't we all supposed to hate pinball? Or is it just seeing pinball in the mag that's the problem?
Splink!

User avatar
resident paul
Posts: 4489
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by resident paul » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:13 am

Mellow wrote: One final point - did anyone buy food from the chip shop opposite? Considering we're in Blackpool, they serve by far the worst Fish and Chips I've ever had. Horrendous would be an absolute understatement.
I haven't tasted the fish but the chilli & chips were pretty good & the meat pie & chips as well.
Image

garyliddon
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by garyliddon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:14 am

RetroBob wrote:As mentioned above, you can't complain about Blackpool being a shithole, what do you expect (Basil F quote is PERFECT)! As I've said before in this thread though,the venue is excellent and the Replay team should hopefully find the basics easy to organise each year.
Why is it in Blackpool? Is it particularly cheap to stage it there?

User avatar
resident paul
Posts: 4489
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by resident paul » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:23 am

Cheaper than major cities in the country & was home to the biggest arcades in Europe.
Image

User avatar
witchfinder
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am
Location: The Cave of Monsters (AKA Stoke!)
Contact:

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by witchfinder » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:26 am

As Paul said, it's significantly cheaper to hire a convention centre of that size in Blackpool than places like London, Birmingham etc and Blackpool is somewhat synonymous with the golden age of arcade games... The abundance of cheap accommodation and other things to do is also an influential factor I think.
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Image

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3240
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by RetroBob » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:27 am

felgekarp wrote:Can I just say that I'm suprised at the popularity of the pinball tables on here, aren't we all supposed to hate pinball? Or is it just seeing pinball in the mag that's the problem?
I've mentioned that I've had little pinball experience, but I do respect that pinball is an integral part of the evolution of gaming.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
Arcadian
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:37 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by Arcadian » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:29 am

witchfinder wrote:As Paul said, it's significantly cheaper to hire a convention centre of that size in Blackpool than places like London, Birmingham etc and Blackpool is somewhat synonymous with the golden age of arcade games... The abundance of cheap accommodation and other things to do is also an influential factor I think.
This.

:)

psj3809
Posts: 18864
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by psj3809 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:31 am

felgekarp wrote:Can I just say that I'm suprised at the popularity of the pinball tables on here, aren't we all supposed to hate pinball? Or is it just seeing pinball in the mag that's the problem?
Same here, i'm stunned how popular it is but fair play to em. Think i must just be crap, had a few goes but the ball just kept going straight down the middle. Great to see so many tables there though.

The chippy opposite i dont think was too bad, last year (When the Norbreck wasnt doing food inside) i think most people went over for a chippy. Get some of the criticism but some of it seems OTT, people moaning about the food, the venue, the rooms etc ! Blackpool is obviously cheap, if you dont want to stay at Fawlty Towers, sorry the Norbreck theres plenty of other places nearby which are cheap

But for the evening entertainment (not that i was there) i think just getting sloshed in the local hotel bar is alright. But again costs of a pint, £3.50 is nothing. Looks like most people havent brought a round in London or 'dan saff if they think thats pricey !

User avatar
pinkfearie
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by pinkfearie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:41 am

Can I just add how impressed I was when stupid old me droppped my Iphone 4 on the floor, realised, then couldnt find it and panicked......then someone kindly handed it back in :D That was really nice and unexpected. I was expecting to not have a phone after I stupidly didnt stow it safely on my person. But whomever found it and handed in is a sweetie and a gent.
That was a really posutive experience.
Image

User avatar
Lorfarius
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Glossop - North West
Contact:

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 am

I've been to conventions all over the country and Blackpool is by far the cheapest place to stay. Some B&B's were £22 a night with breakfast! You can't complain at that plus I hear very little complaints about them in general. Whereas if you go elsewhere you are stuck in some £50ish B&B or an over expensive Travel Lodge/Premier Inn type place. Blackpool's a perfect venue for it.

It's also the seaside you miserable buggers! :lol:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

User avatar
RetroRik
Posts: 2712
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Corby, England, UK
Contact:

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by RetroRik » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:08 am

woody.cool wrote:
The hotel bar staff were quite rude with me on one occasion - OK, maybe I did something stupid and didn't originally notice the queue, fair cop, I apologise for that
Me and Meaty talked about this..
The bar was 50 foot long and everyone was in a queue like in a chip shop. WTF.?
The queue was going out into the game area at one point.

I have never been to a bar where you don't spread out along its length. Its more effecient.

I did ask one bar staff guy ( a big guy with a buzz cut ) if there was a happy hour and his response was "Do i look f'ing happy.?"

I just laughed it off. No problem to me, water of a ducks back. You will always come across people like that.

Anyways i was only able to make Sunday and it was a 760 mile round trip to do it. I was knackered to be honest but im glad i did.
So sad i missed Saturday and the after show party though. :(

Next time i will be making a huge effort to get there Friday night like last year but i will never stay at the Norbreck again.

Thinking back i only played a handfull of games. Couldn't get on Pinball or Arcade cabs but didn't try that hard to be honest.

Glad to see the round Pink Xbox gaming table i helped to paint last year was in use again.. 8)

Anyways roll on the next one. Haven't missed a big one in 7 years now. ( CGEUK 2004 was my first )

RIK
Image

Mellow
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by Mellow » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 am

Lorfarius wrote:I've been to conventions all over the country and Blackpool is by far the cheapest place to stay. Some B&B's were £22 a night with breakfast! You can't complain at that plus I hear very little complaints about them in general. Whereas if you go elsewhere you are stuck in some £50ish B&B or an over expensive Travel Lodge/Premier Inn type place. Blackpool's a perfect venue for it.

It's also the seaside you miserable buggers! :lol:
In fairness to Travelodge, if there's four of you staying in a four man room it can cost you as little as £10 a night. I'm a big Travelodge fan because I've never stayed in a crap one. I'm not sure about the price of where the staff stayed but the owners were so friendly. Seemed like a proper family run business which was kind of cool.

User avatar
Helensification
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by Helensification » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:23 am

Mellow wrote: In fairness to Travelodge, if there's four of you staying in a four man room it can cost you as little as £10 a night. I'm a big Travelodge fan because I've never stayed in a crap one. I'm not sure about the price of where the staff stayed but the owners were so friendly. Seemed like a proper family run business which was kind of cool.
Yeah the hotel we stayed in was family run. Srini the owner was really nice and very accommodating. The rooms were basic and from decades long ago but hey who cares, it was cheap and cheerful and the service provided way made up for outdated decor. Thanks Dave for organising it :D
Image

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by woody.cool » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:51 am

witchfinder wrote:
woody.cool wrote:Now for my biggest downer of the event: The event closing at 7:30pm on the Saturday for some over-priced 'after show party'
This takes critcism of the after-show party to a whole new level - you are complaining about a party that you didn't even go to! :roll:
I'm not criticising the after-show party as such, just that 7:30pm is a bit early to pack up, and £10 entry for it is a bit steep for some people on top of the cost of the Replay ticket - please think of the poorer people amongst, and not what your deep pockets want to waste money on ;)
witchfinder wrote:
woody.cool wrote:Also, on this point, every other event I go to, it's been open till late (usually around 11pm - 12 midnight) and we can play games and get drunk all at the same time (usually making for a great evening)
That didn't happen at last year's Replay and it never will... Think of the bigger picture please. There are dozens of people there who are working two 11 hour days at minimum and deserve to have their evening free to relax rather than have to look after what (based on past experience) would be no more than 50-100 people who want to stay late to play more games.
I appreciate it can be tiring doing all this. I just think think that it closed too early. Even 9:30pm would be a bit better, but that doesn't leave much time for the after-show party though unfortunately.
You're never going to please everybody, and to be honest, I've never really been bothered about quizzes and raffles etc.
witchfinder wrote:If you want more gaming after the event closes then book one of the smaller rooms at the Norbreck for the evening and set up your own after-show party! ;)
I could just go in to Blackpool and play on the amusements ;) I'm sure I can find a fun way to spend a tenner :P
witchfinder wrote:As Paul said, it's significantly cheaper to hire a convention centre of that size in Blackpool than places like London, Birmingham etc and Blackpool is somewhat synonymous with the golden age of arcade games... The abundance of cheap accommodation and other things to do is also an influential factor I think.
Personally, I think Blackpool was the perfect town to host this, and the Norbreck is probably the best venue in Blackpool to host such an event. I've attended many different types of events at the Norbreck before (when I used to live in Blackpool) and always thought it was a great size and a brilliant place to host stuff.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest