Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroRik

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread (inc name badge reque

Post by RetroRik » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 am

RetroBob wrote:
RetroRik wrote:Ayone thinking about ever staying at the Norbreck Hotel... Just don't.!

The rooms are a sh1thole. The whole place smells funny and the walls and floors between rooms are paper thin and might as well not be there. I was kept up half the night by the person next door flushing their noisey toilet which must have been about 3 feet from where i was sleeping.

Also the whole floor was full of extremely noisey argueing and door slamming unhappy housewives from Durham. :x

None could ever get their door keys to work even at 2am.

Do all Durham women sound like they are shouting when they talk.?

Back to the Premier Inn next year..

But the event i managed to stay awake for was good. :D

RIK
Hate to say I told you so, but I did (well, not you specifically, but generally).
I should read the whole thread next time.. :oops:

Im glad i came though because i've had all the parts to build a Mame cab for over a year but haven't done much yet.
The event reminded me why i bought the bits.. :lol:

RIK

merman

Post by merman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:38 am

Well, got back yesterday afternoon after another fantastic weekend...

It has to be said, the organisers did the tricky thing of making it BIGGER AND BETTER. Hats off to them for so many good things...

- the huge Pinball Alley, where I seemed to spend a fair amount of time
- the multiplayer Halo 2, which was awesome (particularly the race to 100 kills on Slayer Sunday afternoon, I came a credible 3rd with 49)
- the trade zone, particularly the traders giving show prices/discounts
- all the cosplayers (my particular favourites were Travis Touchdown and Poison Ivy)
- the hosts, who did a great job of getting the crowd to be more enthusiastic
- the aftershow party with SID80s (couldn't miss that, particularly with two new songs played and guest keyboard player Fred Gray!)

I'm glad so many of you enjoyed the Newsfield talk on Sunday, I myself enjoyed meeting Roger and Oli for the first time. What is so special about Replay is the great atmosphere. Yes, it was busy, but people were patiently waiting to be next to play and I never saw anyone hogging a machine for ages.

A quick hello to Arcadian, boggy, witchfinder, RetroRik, muguk, Havantgotaclue, Bane and the other Llamasofties, felgekarp, sscott, TMR, Kenz, Frank Gasking, SIR'86 and so many others it was a pleasure to talk to and play with over the two days.

And so good to hear that plans are already in place for next year...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:05 am

subzero wrote:Back 2 hours ago after a good ol' train delay, what a fantastic weekend it was, met loadsa people (missed you spector, wanted to talk superman with you!) played lotsa pinballs and amazingly came home still with money in my pocket...
Yeah it seems obvious to me now that I should have asked someone with a Replay t-shirt on, since you were involved in the arcade setup, I'm sure I would have been directed to you fairly quickly. Hanging around the arcade section waiting to see someone with a cape on clearly wasn't a sensible approach :D It was just pandemonium in there at times, and in the main hall, so damn noisy! It was quite difficult to converse because of all the various sounds bombarding us. I did however meet some people I wasn't looking for that were quite interesting. For example, I bumped into a forumite called "Krusty" who says he's given up posting and didn't want to reveal himself to the regulars. He seemed alright, but when I said bye, he told me to go die in a fire. Odd person.* But yeah, overall, Replay was definitely a winner.

*I made the part about Krusty up :mrgreen:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:14 am

I have to admit to some real post-event blues today, on quite a comedown.

Thinking back to the event one of the things I was most gutted about looking at the pictures & stuff was I did seem to miss out on a lot of stuff through the sheer amount of things to do over such a short space of time.

I missed both the Warlords & Waggle-o-mania tourneys & I also missed the entire quiz in the afterparty as I went off with my mates to get some food which ended up taking up a couple of hours. Gutted about that as it looked really good this year.

I didn't get much time to hang out with the likes of TwoHeadedBoy either who always makes these occasions such a laugh.

Still mustn't grumble as the entire event was a triumph well done for everyone who's hard work made it possible. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:54 am

Make sure you vote in the Replay poll here...

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=31471

(Darrans upset theres not many votes at the moment ;)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:55 am

Bit gutted I could only go for one day this year, but it was still a VERY good day - congratulations to all you organisers and helpers and T-shirt wearers.

Due to only being there for one day, thought I'd skip the gaming and just try and see as many people as possible - so there was the ever-smile-inducing Mr. Hawk, the RetroCollect "Massive" of Cauterize, Hydr0x and Tepid Snake, the best-person-ever Dam, the ever-reliable-and-boss misters Filecore and Vinny, Mr. & Mrs. Homgran, Mr. Prinny the Doorman, Darren the Magazine Man... About a million people there, so even the social part was difficult!

Bob Wakelin liked my T-shirt, so that was nice.

Did eventually get to play some pinball, and some Neo Geo thing with a broken joystick that paused whenever I pressed the hard-punch button or something. Missed out on absolutely everything, but still had a great day.

Thanks again to everyone, and hooray!
Last edited by TwoHeadedBoy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:02 am

Had a great time I must say and miss it already.
Wasnt expecting the hall to be soo huge and still dont feel like a got round to everything in the two days.
Must admit I didnt really get to talk to anyone on here but didnt want to bore you with so much going on.
Managed to sneak into the forum photo at the end though.

Loved the pinball gallery, playing alot of street fighter and playing a N64DD which based on the pricetag I wont be buying :lol:

My girlfriend enjoyed it but got a little upset when she missed the super mario kart tournament but she had a long talk with the world record holder (nice bloke) and says she will train to beat the set womens record.

Looking forward to next years event already.
That glorious b*stard before Mr X.

vp002

Post by vp002 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:06 am

Dear all,

Regarding to this,

"I would also like to say that i enjoyed the aftershow party but found that the 4 people from the EGL were vile and rude and that may put me off next year i will add this was a isolated incident."

i dont think it was a isolated incident as they seemed rude to everyone and everyone on the sunday , the large cockney geezer with the side burns thought it was funny to tell me to F*ck off when i asked how it was going, now where i come from thats fighting talk and he was quite aggressive in the way he said it , apart from that they seemed not interested on the whole of the sunday.

Not friendly tbh and dosent make it acceptable if im wearing a replay t shirt.

Vinny

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:08 am

He sounds like a bit of a bellend.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

consolepassion

Post by consolepassion » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 am

vp002 wrote:Dear all,

Regarding to this,

"I would also like to say that i enjoyed the aftershow party but found that the 4 people from the EGL were vile and rude and that may put me off next year i will add this was a isolated incident."

i dont think it was a isolated incident as they seemed rude to everyone and everyone on the sunday , the large cockney geezer with the side burns thought it was funny to tell me to F*ck off when i asked how it was going, now where i come from thats fighting talk and he was quite aggressive in the way he said it , apart from that they seemed not interested on the whole of the sunday.

Not friendly tbh and dosent make it acceptable if im wearing a replay t shirt.

Vinny
Hi Everyone.

Regarding this matter I assure you I will be personally investigating this incident. We have worked with the EGL guys several times in the past on last year’s Expo, and other events we have put on this year and I have always found them professional and approachable so this is a great surprise to me; I am sure Dave and Gordon will be of the same opinion.

I do know they use volunteer helpers in the same way we use many of you guys for our events, so this may well be one or two of their volunteer staff rather than the regular guys, but whatever the reason I am very concerned over these claims and will follow it up with the EGL management.

Can I offer my apologies on behalf of Replay Events to anyone who was insulted by exhibitors at the show, and I hope you will see this for what it is – an isolated incident that was beyond our control.

On a side note, can I thank everyone who helped at this year’s show, especially those who came to set up and those who stayed to help to dismantle everything yesterday. It took three full days to set up everything, but we were had to be out by 5PM yesterday so it was a bit of a mad scramble getting everything done but we managed it.

An event of this size takes an enormous amount of planning, organisation and support. It wouldn’t be possible without the people willing to offer their time and assistance, so all the volunteers should be immensely proud of what was achieved this year.

I would personally like to thank MatC, MattB, Vinny, Simon Mohicankid, HelenS and SimonB for their continued support. Also, thanks to Guy and the AV crew who worked tirelessly throughout the event. This list is by no means exhaustive, just people that immediately spring to mind.

We got an excellent response to the exit polls and we will be going through all the suggestions and will act on them where we can. Thanks to anyone who took time to fill one in – remember to follow the Replay Events Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ReplayEvents) to find out who won the tickets for the GEEK event in Margate next February, and for information on other events we are involved in next year, such as the Games Britannia show in July.

Finally, thanks to everyone who congratulated me on the birth of my baby daughter. She’s beautiful and fantastic as the show was, it was very hard being away from her.

AndyB
Console Passion Retro Games - Consoles, Games, Imports, Modifications & More!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:39 pm

I have a few snaps here:
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/An ... ay%202011/

I'll chuck them on Facebook later so they can be tagged etc.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm

consolepassion wrote:Regarding this matter I assure you I will be personally investigating this incident. We have worked with the EGL guys several times in the past on last year’s Expo, and other events we have put on this year and I have always found them professional and approachable so this is a great surprise to me; I am sure Dave and Gordon will be of the same opinion.
I must admit I'm quite surprised by this too. I had to liaise with them quite frequently on Saturday and Sunday but didn't have any problems.

I'd be interested to know exactly who they were, as I'm now wondering if they were responsible for the theft of the advance copy of the latest issue of Retro Gamer that was supposed to be a prize in the quiz at the after show party... Can anyone confirm if they were sat on the front row of tables, slightly to the right of the stage as you lot would have been looking at it?
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I was a bit worried about the 5 hour train journey up, but it was completely worth it! .... A fantastic weekend, and would recommend it to anyone considering going next year if things happen again.

The venue was superb, plenty of games to play - the arcades were a highlight (getting to play Robotron and Donkey Kong cabs for the first time). It was great catching up with everyone and talking to some new faces. The talks were great too, especially the Imagine Software and Newsfield talks.

I've given a more detailed account on my blog if anyone wants to check it out: http://goo.gl/2DND2
I borrowed a few photos (with credits added) as I just didn't take that many photos or video clips - mostly because I was enjoying things too much :)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

Gonad

Post by Gonad » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:21 pm

My Facebook photos, pretty much of the same stuff everyone else took photos of.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 915bc06249

I never heard or saw these EGL guys.
ImageImage

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Got back from Blackpool rather late last night due to being stuck on the M56 because of a terrible accident (2.5 hour journey turned into 9 hours) so only posting on this thread tonight.

Had an absolutely brilliant time again at Replay. Yes it was tiring but well worthwhile though didn't actually play any games :lol:

The Hollyoaks lads, Matt and Darren were really nice and excellent on the mic as was Matt (Witchfinder). I have to say that MattC really kept everything flowing smoothly and had a great team in Guy and co.

Great to natter to people either again or for the first time, too many to mention everyone of course and I have a terrible memory anyway so may forget names but have to mention the unforgetable BoggyB, Vinnie, Anna, Matt (as above), MissTrust90, Rhys, Scott, Colin, Boyo, Lorenzo, Joey etc the list could go on and on.

Must also add my thanks to everyone who was so welcoming and friendly to my daughter on her first gaming event and it goes without saying to Dave, Gordon, and Andy for staging the Expo in the first place - excellent job lads.

And lastly, how can I say anything about the weekend without mentioning the amazing fundraising exploits of mohicankid. I'm sure he will report soon on how successful his raffle/tombola/lucky dip was but I just need to say that I know more than most how much time and effort he put into the event and especially in the many months before it when he persuaded so many people to donate prizes. He has done a superb job and all for charity. Well done my friend :D