Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SIR'86

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread (inc name badge reque

Post by SIR'86 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Just got back after an amazing weekend!

Took my wife and kids this year, and they loved it. My wife and daughter said they really want to come back next year.

I loved all the arcade games, pity there wasn't a full-sized Star Wars machine this year, but the mini one was amazing!

I ordered an arcade cabinet from one of the companies exhibiting there, so I'm looking forward to that arriving.

The various talks were excellent, especially the Imagine and Newsfield ones. Really took me back to those days.

Kudos to the organizers, it was a fantastic weekend, and I look forward to more events like it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:24 pm

SIR'86 wrote:I ordered an arcade cabinet from one of the companies exhibiting there, so I'm looking forward to that arriving.
What one did you go for ? I'm in love with that mini one that Turnarcades had! Yeah the mini Star Wars machine was great, also played on a large Star Wars cabinet on the other side of the large hall, had a few different games you could do, Endor/Hoth/Death Star etc, was pretty cool.

I'm stunned how popular Pinball machines are, sure some people look at us and are surprised how popular retro games are but didnt realise the fanbase for these machines. Quite difficult getting on some of these as there were some decent crowds.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Just got back a half ago and will post some photos a bit later. Good event and met most of the forum regulars and some good people from other forums too! My thanks as always to Steve (Felgekarp) for the lifts and to everyone involved with running such a big show.

SIR'86

Post by SIR'86 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:24 pm

psj3809 wrote:
SIR'86 wrote:I ordered an arcade cabinet from one of the companies exhibiting there, so I'm looking forward to that arriving.
What one did you go for ? I'm in love with that mini one that Turnarcades had! Yeah the mini Star Wars machine was great, also played on a large Star Wars cabinet on the other side of the large hall, had a few different games you could do, Endor/Hoth/Death Star etc, was pretty cool.
I ordered a full-sized jamma cabinet from The Retro Pit guys, mainly because I loved the quality of the cabinet build, and the design, look and feel is authentic. They build fruit machines, so they have a lot of experience in building amusement hardware. Plus it includes most of the really classic arcade games from the early 80's which are the ones I most like to play. I plan to add Mame capability to it later hopefully by adding a PC-Jamma interface board, or at the worst, by wiring the controllers into a PC specific interface. I could have bought one from Turnarcades, which I believe are PC based so wouldn't require this, and their stuff is really excellent, but I really preferred the look and feel of the Retro Pit cab. The deal they were doing at the show was pretty good too.

Here's hoping I made the right choice! I'll post some photos when I get it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:29 pm

You've got a heckuva wife if you took her with you to the show and she was fine with you getting this arcade cabinet ;)

Turnarcades said they'll provide me with a fake invoice if i want so i can show it to my wife saying 'see it only cost £150' !

SIR'86

Post by SIR'86 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:52 pm

One of the main reasons for taking my wife was to show her the arcade machines, and get her addicted :twisted: To be honest I've been talking to her about it for ages, so she's had a while to get used to the idea. She really got into Pacman at the show, but there were some ace players there that were on for ages which meant she couldn't play it very often, so she'll be happy that she can play Pacman for as much as she wants now. Darn, that means I have to fight her to use the machine! :shock: :roll:

boyo

Post by boyo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Waiting for the name servers to resolve then the site will be www.replaygamer.net

In the mean time - check out http://79.170.44.85/replaygamer.net/

Please register, add your pics and videos in the Community area for all to see :D

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Just got back - great weekend, massive thank you to the many people involved in making the show a success!

Was great to chat with forum members as well as lots of other people - I love that everyone is so friendly at these events.

Highlights for me, Robotron (well all the arcades), pinball (love that Williams one, Firebird II I think it was called, and the 3 way multiball on the T2 pin was mental! Also enjoyed the after party (shame the mad fiddler couldn't make it!). Also, I really enjoy the talks, always learn something.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:35 pm

A fantastic two days of retrogaming.

Meeting some of the regulars of these forums, is always a pleasure.
Seeing TMR and playing his game, wanted to hang round and ask loads more questions but had to leave.

Getting Oli Frey to sign some stuff I bought was a particular brilliant moment, and being able to say thanks to Oli and Roger for the superb artwork and magazines that define the 8 bit era was just great. The talk was very entertaining.

Talking to Jeff Minter and Jim Bagley who are great guys, couldn't believe the

And, of course, playing loads of games with mates (even though I lost a lot) made it all the more memorable.

Top show Replay Expo organisers!
Sometimes you need to say what needs saying, most times you just need to shut up and listen.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Just got back, mostly thanks to a fine effort from Markopoloman who steamed down the A34 to get me to Eastleigh station. I literally jumped out the side of his people carrier to get the train just before it left! Really enjoyed the journey there and back with Marko and his posse, great bunch of lads.

Again, hearty congratulations to the organisers ... I was stunned by the scale of the event - so much to do, so many people. I think it might have been bigger than the Eurogamer Expo - if not in terms of the hall size, certainly in terms of how much stuff there was. And unlike EG, even though it was busy, there was always somewhere to just plonk your bum and start playing something.

The best part of it was meeting up with forum regulars, many of whom I haven't met before, and even the ones I have I've only met once. I'll be back for more when the next show is on!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Right now i can barely walk, am totally shattered and have pretty much lost the use of my right eye... feckin' brilliant weekend!! =-)

Once i've got some of my sight back (and for those who were wondering, the bad eye that flared up Saturday morning was why i had shades on all the time, it wasn't some misplaced belief that i looked "cool" or anything!) i'll come up with more words that might even make sense, but for now it was fantastic to meet and talk at lots of lovely people and myself and the family would like to add another couple of "ta everso much"es to everybody who made the weekend possible. =-)

Gonad

Post by Gonad » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Excellent weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of pinball machines this year, it was almost educational!

My highlight was chatting to some guy on the Attic Bug stand, about Crash covers and the merits of Mikrogen's Wally Week games, before later finding out it was Oliver Frey. Pah! I should have got him to sign those mouse mats!

Low point was missing an hour and a half on Sunday morning waiting for the RAC to fix my stupid car.

A great weekend, thanks to everyone involved in organising it.

Did those Rock Band promo girls with the green and pink hair scare the censored out of anyone else, or was it just me?
ImageImage

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Fantastic weekend!

Absolutely knackered worked out as a 700 mile round trip!! - so will do a proper post tomorrow.....

But I need to say a HUGE thanks to -
Arcadian (Dave)
SirClive (Gordon)
Witchfinder (Matt)

A stonking effort - these just get better and better :D

And well done to all of the replay crew - was great to be a part of this and really looking forward to the next one :D

nighty might
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

SamiCetinSMK

Post by SamiCetinSMK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Arrived home safely, I would just like to say a massive thank you to all the Replay team for all their hard work all weekend (and preparations prior to it) to make the event successful and enjoyable for all. During the time I asked many of the new visitors how they were finding the event and all the feedback was very positive and they would all love to come to another!

Much appreciated for everyone's contributions and those helping out in the tournament room aswell. Take care and hope to catch up with you all soon! :)

Sami Cetin
Super Mario Kart PAL Version Time Trial World Champion

Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Rankings: http://www.mariokartplayers.com/smk/