Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:45 am

sscott wrote:Ha! Yeah, that was poor wasn't it! :lol:
Seriously though would be great if there was another. The actual venue was superb. Would love to go to the one in the far south/east but probably a bit too far for me sadly.

But fingers crossed for a Sheffield event

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:50 am

witchfinder wrote:
Snoppster wrote:1) The quiz was a smidge too hard and lengthy.
That was intentional - it was meant to be a representation of my penis... ;)
My laptop just got a layer of tea sprayed onto it. Cheers for that! :lol:

Having run a few "Hotel Function Room" parties in the past, it turns into a total nightmare when the venues stop co-operating (the Hilton tend not to be overly helpful), so I feel for James and think he did a grand job.

The dodgy PA and the over-running SID80's didn't really spoil the fun though, the main attraction at these events (backed up by the forum polls) is meeting folks and the party was a chance to sit and chat without the games/other distractions and have a few beers (even if the Boddingtons tasted like it was mixed with sweat and sugar :) ), but if it all runs a little smoother next year then all the better :D

I will definitely be up for donning a crew t-shirt again next year. I missed all the fun(see hard work) during the setup but I had fun answering folks questions on the show floor. One kid was massively impressed that the sound came from within the speccy itself after I explained why turning the tv volume up wasn't doing anything. . . I didn't tell him about the superior sound of the Amstrads of the period :twisted:

Anyhoo, I'm off to a car show this weekend with my old man (not exhibiting for a change) and to draw a contrast between the two, car shows are static things where you mainly just wander around and chat about cars/exhibits that are set up and that's that. Replay on the other hand, probably has a larger number of individual exhibits, all switched on and working and out to be mauled by anyone and everyone with a ticket.

The car show may fill the NEC but I think the job done by the Replay crew is far more impressive for that reason. Hats off!

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Sheffield event, me and Piku will try to be there. I didnt notice the BO tbh, but I did have a bunged up nose hehe. The food was cheap enough and filiing which was nice and pleasent. I very rarely made a trip to the bar having toted the same bottle of pepsi round all day.
Piku says 'ssemed to be alright' Not a man of many words is piku.
Ill poke him along to give his feedback better.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Righty-ho, it's about time I put my 2p's worth in.

First impressions, the event seemed far better organised this year than last year.
There was a brilliant selection of machines, and more arcade cabs than last year. I was also far happier seeing more pinball machines.

It was great to meet up with all the regular forumites and meet some new faces. It's always fun meeting up with like minded people.

Anyway, let's run down:

The good
Meeting up with you all

A great selection of retro computers, consoles, arcades and pinball machines along with an excellent selection of systems from traders (I was really impressed with Attic Bug and Console Passion)

The Waggle-O-Mania competition was awesome - in fact, with me, Cosmicfrog (AmiBay) and r0jaws (AmiBay) and Resident Paul in attendance, it was a laugh a minute

The AmigaKit store, the Old School Gaming stand and the Psytronik stand :)

It's in Blackpool!

The bad
On the Saturday, it was difficult to get on the pinball machines and on the arcade cabs, but eventually got on SF2CE for a bit.

Now for my biggest downer of the event: The event closing at 7:30pm on the Saturday for some over-priced 'after show party' that, from what I can gather from the comments of some others, wasn't all that! I'm sorry if people disagree, but, the Hilton is an expensive place, on top of that, paying £10 entry to an after show party, especially after having paid the price for the main Replay ticket for some .... well, it stinks of a bloody rip-off, charity or no charity! I ain't spending money like that. If I want to waste money, I'd prefer to have something to show for it (like some games & systems) - saying all that, I am gutted I missed the SID80's (about the only thing from the after show party that I was interested in)
Also, on this point, every other event I go to, it's been open till late (usually around 11pm - 12 midnight) and we can play games and get drunk all at the same time (usually making for a great evening) - I'm just not interested in a quiz, a meal probably full of stuff I don't like and bar priced for the rich! The only exception to this late opening is for the RCM event, but that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Other bad points: you could not hear the tannoy in the competition room, making it hard to know what was going on when if you were in any of the competitions - also it was hard to hear in the pinball area and in the trading area.

The announcements for the talks were not often enough, in fact, almost non-existent - I think I only heard 1 announcement for the Team 17 talk that I was really interested in going to, I'm glad I made that though.

The signing for where the talks were happening was not clear enough - I discovered the venue for the Team 17 talk by accident!

The ugly
On a couple of occasions (but noticed mostly on the Friday night during setup) there was a disgusting smell in the corridor joining the main hall and the tournament room - I know that's kind of 'beyond the organisers control' but maybe somebody on the crew should've had a word with the hotel staff !?! I apologise if somebody already did this.

The hotel bar staff were quite rude with me on one occasion - OK, maybe I did something stupid and didn't originally notice the queue, fair cop, I apologise for that (and no, I didn't get served ahead of anybody else) - but that does not give the hotel bar staff in the main hall the right to verbally lay in to me - I'm sorry, but they can F**K OFF - they lost my custom for that! After that I decided to bring my own food and drink in to the event - on this subject, should there be a Replay 2012, I will be supplying my own food and drink in the future (unless the hotel staff don't like it an throw me out) - sorry for sounding like a 5 year old, but I do not go to these events to get verbally abused.

Conclusion
A brilliant event which was an improvement over last year's Replay :) A big thanks to Dave (arcadian), Gordon (SirClive), Matt (witchfinder), Simon (boggyb), Andy (Console Passion) and everybody else on the Replay crew for putting on a good event. I will continue to support the Replay events with my attendance as I always enjoy these, despite a couple of down points.

I'm really looking forward to future events, especially GEEK 2012 in Margate next year ...... hope we see all the regulars. Maybe even Opa-Opa will make it to GEEK 2012 :wink:

That's my 2p's worth - hope the above feedback helps.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:31 pm

EGL_BOB wrote:Hi Guys,
I would just like to say my first Replay experience was outstanding. The games and exhibitions were excellent and the event was well organised.
Sorry mate but for the amount of times you've apologised about your own 'brand of humour' may I suggest you lot F*ck off somewhere else and not inflict it on good mannered members of the general public? You sound like a right bunch of idiots!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:43 pm

woody.cool wrote:Maybe even Opa-Opa will make it to GEEK 2012 :wink:
(in deadpan Kentish twang) I'm not going to Margate, it's rubbish :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:23 pm

As I'm sure we all know, an apology is not an apology when it's in a sentence containing the word "if".
Hmm...

After reading these forums I have come to realise we may have offended some people with our out of bound humour.

Apology 1:
I have gone over these comments and highlighted them below, Once again if we/I have offended anybody we apologise as this was not our intent.

Apology 2:
I don’t recall taking the mick out of your friend for his accent if I did and it offended him then I apologise. We were already half cut when we arrived and I thought it was a party

Apology 3:
Geek quiz. Yes it was m8 I lived through these games and have played a hell of a lot of them and trust me I am a Geek by profession but this was another level. Yet again if I offended people I apologise.

Apology 4:
Ok this I take offence at as I did not deface any documents at the quiz. However my employees did. For which I raised it with them at the event and after. For which they now apologise if they have offended anybody.

Apology 5:
If our on the road boys humour was not to your taste all I can do is apologise it was not meant to offend.

Apology 6:
As far as I am aware the team relayed times and schedules out to the event and then repeated again to try and get players in on time. If players were missed all I can do is apologise.

Apology 7,8,9:
If we were rude on Sunday all I can do is apologise. If we rubbed anybody up the wrong way this was not intended and the only reason I can see for this perception is our brand of humour. Once again we apologise if we offended

Apology 10:
Ok as the Large Kentish Geezer with the side burns I can say this is my level of humour and if I offended all I can do is apologise.

Apology 11:
Vinny I know who you are that’s why I gave that level of humour, Yet again I apologise if you did not get my humour it was not my intention to offend.
Eleven attempts at an apology- eleven "if"s.

WHAT AN EXTRAORDINARY COINCIDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:24 pm

I know, exactly. What a load of old tosh of an explanation for being rude to people!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Mellow

Post by Mellow » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:55 pm

mlucifersam wrote:
I would just like to say my first Replay experience was outstanding. The games and exhibitions were excellent and the event was well organised.
Sorry mate but for the amount of times you've apologised about your own 'brand of humour' may I suggest you lot F*ck off somewhere else and not inflict it on good mannered members of the general public? You sound like a right bunch of idiots!
I think that is a bit of an over reaction for what was essentially a few dicks drawn on a piece of paper and a few jokes that have been taken completely out of context and have absolutely no consideration for the tone in which they were delivered. Apologies have clearly been accepted, hands have been shaken, lives have been moved on with. Telling us to f-off is genuinely not necessary. As I said previously, I'm sure the vast, vast majority of people that we have interacted with at this event, and events previously will testify that we are a friendly bunch with generally good banter and our IQ's are above that of your standard idiot. Feel free to come meet us at the next event and make up your own opinion before you judge us.

Thought I'd offer feedback from a different perspective. Firstly, I don't think £3.50 for a beer is that bad in the circumstances. Considering they've got a captive audience it could be a hell of a lot worse. I've both been to and worked at events where the food and drink is at a much more substantial premium. All things considered I would not call this a negative of the event.

The general criticisms of the Norbreck I've got to agree with. I was told about 8 months ago that the floor was going to be painted in the main hall and it never has been. Looks like the result of a child playing paint by numbers with only 2 colours and getting bored half way through. The decor has obviously never changed since the late 60s, and the joining hall, whatever we're calling that, has one of the strangest odours my nostrils have ever been treated to. I feel a bit sorry for the folk who were stuck working, exhibiting or playing in there.

As far as the event itself went, I know there were a few thefts and there often are. One minute a punter is smiling in your general direction and enjoying the games you have on offer; the next they are ejecting the disk tray and helping themselves to the contents. These kinds of events are always hard to police, but one thing I immediately noticed is that you could easily get in and out without a band on or similar. The biggest security lull was by using the toilets that were accessible via the corridor, near the swimming pool. Directly opposite the actual toilet entrance was an entrance into the "weird smelling" room or the tournament room I think most people are referring to it by. I doubt many people were entering through there but if you did you were in with no questions asked. Of course you could also enter via one of the no entry doors, and if you had a smile on your face and looked purposeful, the sheer volume of volunteers would have probably meant they'd assume you worked there, I know I wouldn't have asked questions. The latter would be difficult to address but the former should be addressed for next time around.

The criticisms of Rock Band I think are a tad unfair. Personally I didn't think that the Rock Band was too loud. I'm not sure what people are considering an acceptable level of volume but I easily held a conversation stood next to the Rock Band section. Considering it's there to attract enough people to play together as a band, if it was much quieter it would have completely ruined the experience. I'm not sure what the Team 17 guys felt because they looked to be the closest but even when I chatted to them briefly, I had absolutely no problem communicating with someone who was sat down while I was stood (I'm 6ft3 also I'd like to point out). As others have mentioned, maybe volume could be controlled a bit more but then the atmosphere is affected.

More Bins! I spent so much time removing stuff off our tables and then taking it to the end of the Earth. I'm not sure if the general public were trying to use our table as a bin as some kind of protest but ultimately it made our stand look bad when it was cluttered with rubbish and staying on top of things was a hassle that we could easily eliminate.

The general friendliness of staff and other exhibitors was great (this sounds massively ironic given some of the other content in this thread). The guys helping running the stage, the power were all extremely helpful. Was great that we could get FIFA on the main stage as well on the Saturday. Also a huge thanks to the guy who lent us his USB dongle. I'm sorry that I cannot remember your name, but if you could PM me or email me on Chris.Marsh@ecl.eu, it'd be great. I'd also like to reimburse you for the usage on your dongle. That really helped us out on the Saturday.

I thought the choice of hosts was good. I'm not a fan of Hollyoaks but the two guys involved clearly have great chemistry and I thought they were a good addition to the show. I've got to admit though that I don't think the area used to hold talks was all that ideal. The fact it was open to the general public made it kind of weird and it felt a little cut off from the rest of the show. The people watching were a combination of keen gaming enthusiasts and confused tourists. I think the tournament room would have been a better location for the talks, and perhaps the tournament area could have been relocated to one of the other smaller adjoining rooms and the talks held in there instead. The tournament area itself was only partially filled and would have easily fit into one of the rooms off the main hall or main corridor, of which there are numerous.

Just as a side note, we have taken on board feedback from various sources, including a number of the gamers that competed in our tournaments and we are taking steps to improve our service. One of our problems is that we do not have a fixed setup we use for shows like this, which completely affects our power runs, our admining setup and more. We were also hindered by not having internet for a large portion of the time we were at the show. Anyway, at future shows, be they Replay or other events, we will use more display monitors in order to provide graphics with a more detailed schedule of events including approximate registration times, round starting times, and the schedule of other events. We also plan to take optional contact details of everyone who is wishing to sign up. This will allow us to notify participants via SMS when it is their turn to compete. We plan to employ more signage and more rope barriers in order to restrict access to tournament areas and better mark out entry and exit points. Finally, published rules will be available on the tables so everyone knows what is going on, and when, as well as the settings on which they will be competing. It seemed like everyone wanted to play their own settings and I spent a fair whack of time changing the settings back to the ones we wanted. I eventually resorted to carrying around the wireless pad from the host Xbox to prevent people changing settings, but even then as soon as I turned my back someone was plugging in a wired control and we were back on some kind of Capture the Flag game. Anyway, hopefully these changes will help improve our communication with the general public and allow us to provide a better, happier tournament experience for anyone who wishes to get involved. Also, I think we will aim to offer graphics to be included in projector rotation next time around. Thinking about it this was an ideal communication method that we missed out on.

Oh, we also promise to limit crude jokes for next time and definitely no dicks are to be drawn at any form of after party.
Last edited by Mellow on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gonad

Post by Gonad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Mellow wrote: Telling us to f-off is genuinely not necessary.
Maybe that was just his own unique brand of humour!

Personally I thought the whole thing was great. As for complaints about dogshit on the streets of Blackpool, and noise levels and BO at Replay, to paraphrase the great Basil Fawlty:

"Well, may I ask what you expected to see at a Gaming Expo in Blackpool? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?

:wink:
ImageImage

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Using the word f word like that is acceptable when with friends and people you know you but not in the presence of strangers. Notmeaning to state the obvious but if I told a friend to f off they would know I was joking but if they were strangers or didn't know me too well they would think I'm a right arse.

Mellow

Post by Mellow » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Gonad wrote:
Mellow wrote: Telling us to f-off is genuinely not necessary.
Maybe that was just his own unique brand of humour!
If so I shall expect a detailed apology without the use of the word 'if'.

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Using the word f word like that is acceptable when with friends and people you know you but not in the presence of strangers. Notmeaning to state the obvious but if I told a friend to f off they would know I was joking but if they were strangers or didn't know me too well they would think I'm a right arse.
They weren't actually strangers though. I think they were somewhere in the middle. I for one had met Vinny a number of times before. Not that that makes the comment any more or less acceptable. I am as unaware as the next man of the context involved. If Vinny was offended then the joke was inappropriate. Hopefully he has genuinely accepted Pete's apology and we can all go back to being friends.

One final point - did anyone buy food from the chip shop opposite? Considering we're in Blackpool, they serve by far the worst Fish and Chips I've ever had. Horrendous would be an absolute understatement.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Haven't the people involved accepted apologies somewhere in this thread already? The guys from EGL have posted to say sorry (even if they used the word 'IF' 50 times). Just seems a little mad to me that this is still going on when it needs to be wrapped up and tucked up in bed.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:10 am

Just as a side note, we have taken on board feedback from various sources, including a number of the gamers that competed in our tournaments and we are taking steps to improve our service. One of our problems is that we do not have a fixed setup we use for shows like this, which completely affects our power runs, our admining setup and more. We were also hindered by not having internet for a large portion of the time we were at the show. Anyway, at future shows, be they Replay or other events, we will use more display monitors in order to provide graphics with a more detailed schedule of events including approximate registration times, round starting times, and the schedule of other events. We also plan to take optional contact details of everyone who is wishing to sign up. This will allow us to notify participants via SMS when it is their turn to compete. We plan to employ more signage and more rope barriers in order to restrict access to tournament areas and better mark out entry and exit points. Finally, published rules will be available on the tables so everyone knows what is going on, and when, as well as the settings on which they will be competing. It seemed like everyone wanted to play their own settings and I spent a fair whack of time changing the settings back to the ones we wanted. I eventually resorted to carrying around the wireless pad from the host Xbox to prevent people changing settings, but even then as soon as I turned my back someone was plugging in a wired control and we were back on some kind of Capture the Flag game. Anyway, hopefully these changes will help improve our communication with the general public and allow us to provide a better, happier tournament experience for anyone who wishes to get involved. Also, I think we will aim to offer graphics to be included in projector rotation next time around. Thinking about it this was an ideal communication method that we missed out on.
Excellent news, I think this will really help!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:59 am

I've had a few days to ponder, here is some constructive feedback...

Arcades and pinball - much more this year which was definitely a good thing - variety was good too. Nothing more to say really.

Talks - good variety to appeal to different people, volume was generally good but there was some background noise during Chris Hoyle's talk (I loved that there was a random old dear who just sat there because there were others waiting to watch something). Slides were difficult to see due to the lighting - exact same thing happened last year. Some presenters may want to use sound as well, recommend at the very least having a small 2.1 set to help this. Talks would benefit from moving to a more private, enclosed area: there was bags of spare room in the tournament room, I would suggest sectioning off 1/4 or 1/5 of that and compressing the tournament tables slightly; this would solve all the issues raised.

Public announcements of talks and tournaments - I did hear witchfinder's announcments of a several of these, but if you're in the bathroom, pinball alley or tournament room then you simply won't hear them which is probably why people saying they didn't hear. Timetables for both need to be printed (either on posters, online, or handouts) and rigidly stuck to - being late is not a acceptable excuse, they should have planned ahead to arrive early to allow time for a delay (can you tell Project Management is my job LOL).

Hosts - I haven't watched Hollyoaks since leaving uni (turns out they've both left too), but anyway, I thought they were genuinely great - so much better than getting some dollybird, they really knew their stuff, it wasn't just cursory (and patronising) "so how about that Call of Duty eh", they are proper gamers who know their retro too - that goes a long way with me.

Consoles - Selection was great and about the right number, could have done with a few more maybe as I didn't get to play on everything I wanted, but you can't have it all I guess. I completely understand reasons for not having more games knocking around if some thieving twats stole some last year - as someone else suggested, it's a good idea to swap some around on day 2 - obviously not Steel Batallion!

Console Passion - definitely benefited from having everything priced up this year and a whole team helping get people through which was great. Andy was very helpful to me - I had fried a SNES that he modded for me and was looking to replace it with a pre-modded one that he was selling, however on hearing this he told me that it was likely to be a simple one solder fix and is sending me the fuse and instructions on what to do. He could have just said "yeah it's nailed" and taken my money, so thank you Andy.

As mentioned above, you can't complain about Blackpool being a shithole, what do you expect (Basil F quote is PERFECT)! As I've said before in this thread though,the venue is excellent and the Replay team should hopefully find the basics easy to organise each year.
Xbox Live: RetroBob