Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

freemonk

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread (inc name badge reque

Post by freemonk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:13 am

Well me and my partner had a superb Saturday at R3Play this year, much more enjoyable than last years.

It didn't start off too well, but it was quickly resolved. I handed what I thought were my Saturday tickets to the woman desk (which is what I ordered), and was told they were Sunday tickets! NIGHTMARE!!! Before I could say anything, the woman behind the desk ripped the tickets, got the yellow bands out and handed them out to us! I was so impressed! :)

Once in, we ended up playing a lot of stuff! First we hit the pinball machines, and both of us realised how completely useless we are on them, but a lot of fun.

We then hit some of the arcade machines, a game of TMNT, Robotron, Space Panic, Donkey Kong and many more. Our favourite game of the show was olaying a 2 player Super Bishi Bashi Champ game. That was one awesome fun game that I had never heard off, but it's apparently available on the PS1 (which I'll be picking up ASAP!)

I ended up buying a few bits from Console Passion at a decent price. Resident Evil (Saturn), Resi 2 (NTSC-A PS1), Wolfchild (M-CD), Animal Crossing (NTSC-A GC), Shadow of the Beast (MD) and Kasumi Ninja (Jaguar). I was a little disappointed, because the box on Kasumi Ninja had the green headband sticker on it, but after getting home and checking it...it didn't. Nothing on the Console Passion sticker stating it was missing...but oh well I'm not too bothered as I now own this AWESOME game :lol:

I also got some Speccy games for 50p each (Thundercats, Knightlore and Ghost and Goblins) and Jet-Pak for £5.

I finally ordered my Atari Jaguar Scart cable with the Jagfest guys as well for £25 and got free P&P. The guy at Jagfest was really nice and we talked for ages about everything Jaguar.

Lastly, the big buy of the day for me was the large Halo Figurine from Game Dojo that was in the display case. £59.99 later I had it in my hands, and I was well chuffed. It will look lovely in the games room. It was quite funny when the guys at Game Dojo was trying to make a big bag for it our of little bags. God bless them for trying though!

Regrets of the day...I didn't get to play the Smash TV arcade machine. I must of lined up 20 times to play it, but everytime there were 2 or 3 other people in front of me, or little 5 year old kids were playing it and continuously pressing the credit button everytime they died. I gave up in the end.

The last regret was that I didn't get to talk to hardly anyone from the forum. I spoke to Mohicankid at the tombola and Lorfs at the Nintendo book selling desk, but I didn't see anyone else with the badges. I must of been blind! lol

Thanks to everyone who organised the event though, you did a superb job. I'm not 100% sure if we'll be attending next year due to us having a 6 month old baby by that time, but at least we'll have some great memories from 2011. I was suprised to see some people walking around with babies in body carriers though....so there's always a chance! :D

Overall it was a superb show. It was also nice that there were other retailers there selling retro items. Hopefully this will expand next year, and other companies like Game Link from Spalding get the chance to trade there as well.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:40 am

Sorry about the late response to the thread guys, still packing up at the norbreck!
its been a mad time for me with the set up, the pull down and that little bit in the middle!
this has without a doubt been the biggest workload i've ever taken on for an event, i started collecting items for the raffle tombola and lucky dip WAAAAY back in march and its been pretty non stop ever since. doing things like attending events like Gadget show live, GameFest and Eurogamer as part of the REPLAY crew and badgering people from every corner of the industry, with very mixed results. the constant promoting, begging and pimping on Twitter, the endless phone calls, my full time job and of course REPLAY 2011 itself with the charity corner AND the aftershow raffle, means i havn't realy had time to stop and think!
was it all worth it?
well last year my corner raised just under £1,300 which was a fantastic result, this year i had allready hit £1,300 by close of day saterday!
i won't know the exact amount or the breakdown between the two charity's untill i get home but as it stands mohicankids charity corner including the after show party raffle raised OVER......

£2,650

so was it worth it?
YES

but remember guys, i would never have achieved results like this without you! the endless stream of donations for the dip coming through the post and arriving on the stand over the weekend, pluss the amount you all spent on the stall and raffle tickets made this happen so i think its only right that i close this post by simply saying

THANK YOU
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:15 am

Wow! That is a fantastic result MK :shock: Congrats on a fantastic achievement - you are a star :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:23 am

Great work mate - well done :)
Xbox Live: RetroBob

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:32 am

That's a great result, Nice one! :)

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:40 am

Nice work MK, as usual your passion, enthusiasm and hard work is a lesson to us all... And should I mention the anger as well? ;)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:22 am

Good job as usual MK.. :D

One day you will go to an event and actually play games and enjoy yourself.. :wink:

RIK

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 am

By the way, not brown-nosing but top marks to everyone who helps set up the show. Saw witchfinder/SirClive a few times before the opening and they obviously had tons to do, hope they managed to enjoy the rest of it ! Also everyone else who helps out with it, its great hearing the huge positive response to the show from everyone else.

Plus all the other helpers and Replay people, top show

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:57 am

Nice one MK! That is quite an epic result!

Tarutaru

Post by Tarutaru » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 am

Tronads wrote:The miniture StarWars cabinet was an absolute work of art, such attention to detail, it was just wonderful....however there was something not quite right about the gameplay and/or control. It felt a little sluggish, and the controler had a strange sort of dead zone issue, which caused problems with small amounts of movement, for example following a tie fighter round the screen shooting its fireballs. Im pretty good at this game, used to be able to make a game last as long as I wanted, and at last years R3play I had a shot on the upright that was there, and still managed to get past wave 20 even after about 5 years since last playing it....but on this mini one, I didnt get past wave 6.
Niggles aside, it was an absolutely beautiful design and build, and the dual game facility was excellent.
This is EXACTLY the kind of constructive criticism I was hoping to get at Replay. You weren't the only person to mention that it was close but not exactly right. I had around four or five experienced Star Wars players over the course of the weekend all saying the exact same things.

Anyway today I put in some time and got them fixed. The deadzone in Mame is set at 0.3 by default and I had already tweaked this to zero. But I forgot I had a separate vector.ini file that was over-riding the main Mame.ini and in that file it was still set at 0.3. Silly me! Setting that to zero now has the crosshair moving smoothly with the slightest movement of the yoke so it's much easier to track those tie-fighters now.

The other issue of course was the jitteryness of the crosshair in the bottom 20% of the screen. This wasn't too noticeable in game but in the high score table when putting in your initials it was clearly there... and it sucked! I just learned today (with some Google research) that you need to set the digital settings in the TAB menu to zero if you are using a true analogue device like this or else they can conflict with each other. So I set all the digital settings to zero and had the analogue sensitivity to 50. All is now smooth as silk with no deadzone problems!

The actual speed of the crosshair from one side of the screen to the other may still need tweaking. But I need more expert advice... that or get it alongside a real cabinet for comparison.

Glad you liked it anyway!

All in all I had a great time at Replay and I would like to thank all the organisers of the event who put in great shifts to get this running smoothly. Here's to the next one!!! 8)
Last edited by Tarutaru on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:27 am

RetroRik wrote:Good job as usual MK.. :D

One day you will go to an event and actually play games and enjoy yourself.. :wink:

RIK
theres games?
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:47 am

Tarutaru wrote:Glad you liked it anyway!

All in all I had a great time at Replay and I would like to thank all the organisers of the event who put in great shifts to get this running smoothly. Here's to the next one!!! 8)
So you're the person i'm super jealous of ! ;)

Yep that Star Wars mini cabinet was amazing, brilliant bit of kit, just looks so good !! Cheers for bringing it along

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:12 pm

freemonk wrote: I'm not 100% sure if we'll be attending next year due to us having a 6 month old baby by that time
That's no excuse... me and my 7 week old, Dylan :wink:

He slept most of the day through all the noise!

I was looking out for you on Sat but missed you again.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:36 pm

mohicankid wrote: £2,650
Cripes! Thats quite an astounding figure. Well done you.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

subzero

Post by subzero » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:01 pm

i'd like to know who won the items i gave to mohicankid for the tombola etc....

medal of honor set for peecee and 3 little sega arcade machine models