Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

uberpixel

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread (inc name badge reque

Post by uberpixel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:22 pm

The train journey up from London wasn't too bad... didn't envy my other mates who drove though. D:

Staying at the Norbreck again which will be super convenient!
Last edited by uberpixel on Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:53 pm

The reviews of that place are shocking - is it as gross as they say? I have to say that outside of the REPLAY halls I thought it was rather depressing - that said, most of Blackpool is like that.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:04 pm

RetroBob wrote:The reviews of that place are shocking - is it as gross as they say? I have to say that outside of the REPLAY halls I thought it was rather depressing - that said, most of Blackpool is like that.
Blackpool is the holiday destination for skint chavs

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:
RetroBob wrote:The reviews of that place are shocking - is it as gross as they say? I have to say that outside of the REPLAY halls I thought it was rather depressing - that said, most of Blackpool is like that.
Isn't it a popular holiday destination for scousers?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
Isn't it a popular holiday destination for scousers?
No thats Rhyl.
And only for chav scousers

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:25 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head!

betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:17 pm

I've sorted out the accommodation. I'm staying at Saxton House. £55 for a single from Friday evening to Monday morning. I possess a disabled bus pass, so I don't have to walk all the way up to the Castle.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:00 am

I really, really dislike Blackpool. When I initially saw that R3play was in Blackpool, I almost considered not going, but then I saw it was a couple of miles away from Ground Zero so I went anyway. Thankfully I only live just over an hour's drive away, so I'm not stopping over anywhere :D

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:04 am

MikeFishcake wrote:I really, really dislike Blackpool. When I initially saw that R3play was in Blackpool, I almost considered not going, but then I saw it was a couple of miles away from Ground Zero so I went anyway. Thankfully I only live just over an hour's drive away, so I'm not stopping over anywhere :D
LOL, yeah I agree - but to be honest, the actual venue is really good so once you're in enjoying yourself, the actual place is irrelevant. You're lucky that you live close by then, otherwise I'd say choose your hotel wisely so that it is close and not a scum hole.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Living an hour away might be convenient in one respect but you'll be driving in which means no drinking... Which in all honesty is the best part about going to these events! ;)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:28 pm

witchfinder wrote:Living an hour away might be convenient in one respect but you'll be driving in which means no drinking... Which in all honesty is the best part about going to these events! ;)
i agree :)
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:50 am

Not bothered by the location, 99.9% of the time youre just at the show anyway plus Blackpool is like many other towns, theres nice areas and a fair few dodgy bits ! The big hall was fine, local fish n chips were superb as well. Do people expect a 5 star hotel/room ? If Replay was held in London at the Ritz people would moan it was too expensive !

The actual hotel seemed okay and its only for a night if you do stay. Think for the people drinking they wont really care what their rooms like after 8 or so pints !!

I'm going just for the show, not bothered by the hotel/location/chavs 3 miles away in the centre. No offence to Witchfinder but the show in Stoke wasnt exactly a 5 star location but no one cared and Stoke isnt known as a tourist paradise, but was a great event which he put on and everyone enjoyed it

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:20 am

RetroBob wrote:LOL, yeah I agree - but to be honest, the actual venue is really good so once you're in enjoying yourself, the actual place is irrelevant.
I should have added that, actually. The actual hall itself was immense. The experience was fantastic, and the location did in no way adversely affect the quality of the expo.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 am

Plus if you walk round Blackpool you'll probably feel a right yuppie and really fashionable ;)

Seriously though i didnt go far into Blackpool that day, just went to the chippy outside which was very good (and they were very friendly). Been to Blackpool quite a few times (When my southern mates come up for a weekend they always want to try Blackpool once !) and never had an issue with drunken chavs or that.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:59 am

mainvein wrote:yeah! just booked the hotel premier inn bispham, current prices are £169 for the fri/sat/sun so not too expensive really, wish i'd have noticed the £29 a night offer though

anyone else stopping there and fancy propping the bar up :D
those booking the premier inn beware they can change the prices without telling you.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords