Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D Opening Feb.10 2012 (+)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Angry Jock

Re: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D Opening Feb.10 2012

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:I find these films underrated:

Rocky V
There's always one :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:39 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
che_don_john wrote:Star Wars is not science fiction
This negates everything else in your argument ;)

Of course its sci fi. It has two Death Stars with technical weaknesses for starters. Laser swords, space ships, alien creatures - all sci fi trappings.
How does that negate everything else in my argument?! I think I qualified that statement pretty well! To me, science fiction isn't determined by content, but by ideas (or the exploration of them). You could replace the lightsabers with claymores, the space ships with horses and the alien creatures with goblins or whatever, and still convey the central themes of Star Wars - classic good vs evil, almost wild-west/fuedal Japan stuff, with nothing deeply philsophical or scientific at all. It's not about aesthetics, but about whats at the core, and the core of Star Wars is fantasy. It might have futuristic props but then Spaceballs has those things you mentioned and I doubt many people would consider that Sci-fi.

Whereas Blade Runner, for example, is pure sci-fi because it takes a concept (human nature), an idea (whether something sythentic can be 'human'), and creates a fictional setting to explore those things. Yes, Star Wars might have a bit of religion and a smidgen of politcs, but they aren't really integral to it.

I think you're right, though, that sci-fi and fanatsy are not mutually exclusive and that films can be both, but I'm not saying that sci-fi has to be highbrow at all. Planet of the Apes is very lowbrow but I'd say it is still definitely sci-fi.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

che_don_john wrote:... the space ships with horses...
I think you'd have a hard time doing the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs on a horse though.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:36 am

Smurph wrote:
che_don_john wrote:... the space ships with horses...
I think you'd have a hard time doing the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs on a horse though.
"But isn't a parsec a unit of distance?"

:D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 am

che_don_john wrote:How does that negate everything else in my argument?! I think I qualified that statement pretty well! To me, science fiction isn't determined by content, but by ideas (or the exploration of them). You could replace the lightsabers with claymores, the space ships with horses and the alien creatures with goblins or whatever, and still convey the central themes of Star Wars - classic good vs evil, almost wild-west/fuedal Japan stuff, with nothing deeply philsophical or scientific at all. It's not about aesthetics, but about whats at the core, and the core of Star Wars is fantasy. It might have futuristic props but then Spaceballs has those things you mentioned and I doubt many people would consider that Sci-fi.

Whereas Blade Runner, for example, is pure sci-fi because it takes a concept (human nature), an idea (whether something sythentic can be 'human'), and creates a fictional setting to explore those things. Yes, Star Wars might have a bit of religion and a smidgen of politcs, but they aren't really integral to it.

I think you're right, though, that sci-fi and fanatsy are not mutually exclusive and that films can be both, but I'm not saying that sci-fi has to be highbrow at all. Planet of the Apes is very lowbrow but I'd say it is still definitely sci-fi.
I get some of your points but to the vastttttttttt majority of people Star Wars is sci-fi. This is why us gamers/sci fi fans get a bad rep because of stuff like the above !
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:I love Star Wars, but cannot get into the Clone Wars series, surely they are only aimed at kids under the age of 11?
I get Hilarys comments about the Clone Wars series. Yeah its aimed at kids but also i think a fraction to keep the older fans happy. Its not just a kids 'cartoon', if it was hardly anyone would get killed and there would be a message at the end like 'kids dont do this' type of thing. I love the scenery, eg some episodes have that classic Death Star interior, boxes have that star wars look from the films, the attention to detail is very good. But granted you have to be a big Star Wars fan to really enjoy the Clone Wars.

Not that i watch kiddie cartoons but i wouldnt say its aimed at purely under 11's. Like i say some of the violence etc wouldnt happen otherwise. I think its very watchable, its great getting this 20 minute episode every week and it expands on some of the bit characters from films etc.

But fair enough if you dont like it, i cant stand Harry Potter i must admit. And i'm sure many people will say 'arent computer games for kids ?'.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:11 pm

che_don_john wrote:To me, science fiction isn't determined by content, but by ideas (or the exploration of them).
That may be what you find interesting, but its not what defines sci-fi.

Spaceballs is absolutely sci-fi by the way ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:16 pm

You've captured their stunt doubles! :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Haabermaaster

Post by Haabermaaster » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:19 pm

che_don_john wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
che_don_john wrote:Star Wars is not science fiction
This negates everything else in your argument ;)

Of course its sci fi. It has two Death Stars with technical weaknesses for starters. Laser swords, space ships, alien creatures - all sci fi trappings.
How does that negate everything else in my argument?! I think I qualified that statement pretty well! To me, science fiction isn't determined by content, but by ideas (or the exploration of them).
There was a massive debate on some Sci-Fi (yes, I still use that term, you'll see why momentarily) forums a few years ago.

Science Fiction readers and viewers were constantly getting harassed by people shouting out anything with a spaceship as being Sci-Fi (which, fundamentally, it is) For all their talk of Harlan Ellison all it took was somebody chiming in with Ewoks to make blood boil! :lol:

So, they kind of came to an uneasy compromise. Sci-Fi and SF. Sci-Fi was everything mainstream and fantastic whereas SF was the dedicated stuff. The stuff that che_don_john talks about. Both have their place, and it was just a faintly elitist way to differentiate between the two subjects within the genre.

I personally still use the term Sci-Fi because it's just what it is. We're all adult enough to differentiate without conforming to subheadings anyway! :lol:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 am

^ At least you don't spell it Syfy - whose stupid bloody decision was that to rename the channel?

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed May 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Full Star Wars: The Complete Saga Blu-ray Details + release on the 12th September

Link: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77173

"NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI

- Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more!"

That's I wanna see after all this time! :D

James A

Post by James A » Thu May 05, 2011 3:36 am

resident paul wrote:Full Star Wars: The Complete Saga Blu-ray Details + release on the 12th September

Link: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77173

"NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI

- Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more!"

That's I wanna see after all this time! :D
I honestly don't know if i can justify getting these. Ive got the six Star Wars movies on DVD and i hardly watch them. Same thing goes for the LOTR special editions coming out on Blu Ray except that i don't really have four hours to watch a film in the evening.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:39 am

I'll be getting these for sure, price isnt too bad, fair few extras i want to see and get. The fans have been asking about these for ages so i'm glad Lucas and co are finally going to release them. Just wish the live action series will see the light of day at some point

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:22 am

There's one thing you know won't be there of course...

If I give you the initials H & S...

You know where I'm going with this...

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 am

Just release a tech demo of the pod racing scenes in 3D. They were the only good thing about this pile of dreck anyway.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Dennoman wrote:Just release a tech demo of the pod racing scenes in 3D. They were the only good thing about this pile of dreck anyway.
This isn't the thread you're looking for.

You can go about your business.

Move along.

If you don't like it, you don't have to go and see it. Leave it to the fans who do.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.