XBOX 360 on its way.. now which live arcade games are best?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

Re: Buying an XBOX 360 Tomorrow, advice needed.. RROD? S Mod

Post by ChipTune » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm

speedlolita wrote:ChipTune, don't follow some crappy video made by 12 year olds.

Pay for the games or don't bother.
Do you work for microsoft? :lol:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:10 pm

No. But expecting "codes" that are "generated" after watching a video on YouTube to work is absolutely moronic.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Haabermaaster

Post by Haabermaaster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:15 pm

ChipTune wrote:So you have to pay to play online multiplayer? on any game?

Thats a bit harsh, whats the damage £££?

Also you say about sony being better with regards to region free, does this mean the ps3 will play NTSC games but the 360 wont?
If you buy a brand new Xbox 360 (which you should. Buying Pre-owned might mean you get a machine used as a toilet) you'll also get 3 lots of 1 Month free Gold memberships. You're supposed to use them for 3 separate accounts, but you can just create a new one every month to use the free month. 3 solid months of using Live for online play will clue you in on whether you want to pay about £30 for the year.

As a quick pointer unless you play multiplayer a lot then I'd not bother. However if you want to access Facebook, Twitter, Party Chat and a few other things through Xbox Live then you'll have to sump up for the full Gold price. £30 really isn't that bad though for such a superb service. And there's usually thousands of multiplayer matches out there. Some of the older titles may not be as busy, but you can usually get a solid game going.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Might buy a second hand (only 3 months old) xbox slim with 250 gig and 5 reasonably good games, 2 pads.. for £150 local pickup.. is this advisable?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 pm

ChipTune wrote:Might buy a second hand (only 3 months old) xbox slim with 250 gig and 5 reasonably good games, 2 pads.. for £150 local pickup.. is this advisable?
Well, you'd still have the 3-year warranty on 3 Red Ring/E74 for peace of mind.But...has it been online? Not been subject to a ban hammer or anything has it? 1st thing i'd check.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Apparently its like brand new.. Ive asked about the online thing so waiting to hear back from that... would I need a receipt from him or would it be covered under microsoft by its serial number or anything?

(I really appreciate the help)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Only Zepher and Xenon have a manufacturing fault (slim isn't one of these). Any faults otherwise are covered by the 3 year majiger I think, but I seriously doubt a slim will go bad unless you seriously mistreat it or it's defective from the factory.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

che_don_john

Re: XBOX 360 on its way.. now which live arcade games are be

Post by che_don_john » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:48 am

ChipTune wrote:Im much more excited about the downloadable games:

Shadow Complex
Final Fight Double Impact
Castle Crasher
Scott Pilgrim
Prince of Persia Classic
Outrun
Afterburner Climax
Castlevania : Harmony of Despair
REZ HD
Alien Breed 3

So far these seem the best ones in my opinion, but are there any other must-have titles on there Ive missed, and does anyone have any useful feedback on the above titles (i.e. it sucks ass and isnt worth the money.. that kind of thing)
Shadow Complex is a brilliant game, glad to see it on your list. As for those not on your list, Geometry Wars 2 is excellent. I've also heard good things about Trials HD, Splosion Man, Meatboy and Limbo.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 am

Trials HD is king, I've put a hell of a lot of time in on it and still haven't managed to finish it...mainly due to the insane difficulty.

Meatboy is brilliant, very very addictive. Over Christmas I was playing until 6am trying to knock off .01 seconds from times to beat my mates on the leader boards...it's the instant reloading that's to blame! This is another game I'm unlikely to 100% due to the super ultra insane dufficulty.

Limbo is OK, I definitely would wait until it's on special offer though, replay value is limited to whether you want achievements or not.

Outrun is great but I found Afterburner and Hydro Thunder a bit over rated, just can't get into these.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Rez HD
Space Giraffe
Braid
Limbo

These are all absolute must buys, imo. Torchlight is pretty close, too (I've been playing it all evening and bloody love it, but fall short of recommending it due to the possibility of the PC version being slightly better and likely to reappear in another 'buy it for 2p' Steam sale).
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Holy f*ck.. I have spent almost the entire day downloading demos and playing through everything.. I had a big party last night involving pancakes and about 15 drunken people so I needed to kick back and do some serious gaming today.. and that I did..

anyway Im going to get Shadow Comples, Rex, Trials HD, Prince of Persia Classic, Bionic Commmando Re-armed 2, and a couple of the indie titles, Pixel 3, and Some Ninja NES style platformer

I also played the games I got with it, Assassins Creed 2, and Halo Reach, but I just couldnt get into them, my heart isnt in these big new games.. they impress me for an hour as Im used to playing 8 / 16 / 32-bit games usually.. then after a while the cracks begin to show and its the same old stuff we saw on xbox and ps2 with better graphics..

Are there any Wipeout style futuristic racers on the 360 that are any good, or any games with dubstep / techno / electronic soundtracks like REZ and chime ?

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:53 am

ChipTune wrote:Are there any Wipeout style futuristic racers on the 360 that are any good?
Not that I can think of. However, if you like Wipeout then I'd recommend you play Burnout Revenge. It's not 'futursitic', but gameplay-wise it's quite similar to Wipeout in that it's unrealistically fast and great fun as a result. It has some great modes and above all is a strong but fair challenge (especially the time trial events).
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile