XBOX 360 on its way.. now which live arcade games are best?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Buying an XBOX 360 Tomorrow, advice needed.. RROD? S Mod

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:36 am

Personally, would'nt buy 2nd hand 360-No idea of it's history (has it been towelled etc?) plus when you buy new, you've the security as it were of the warranty.

Great thing with 360, lot of classics can be picked up at bargin price-Great 2nd hand games market.Just be wary of discs with laser burn (And don't nudge your 360 with disc in drive).

Also, probably commomn sense, but give yer 360 plenty of ventaliation, not great idea to put 'em say in tv cabinet type enviroment.

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 am

You should really have bought one last week when many places were selling them for £159!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Just get a slim.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:55 am

I recently sold two older models, and picked up the S model, it's sexy, and it's here to stay! Love it!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 pm

yes the slim model is great. 100 percent reliable and much sexier. the 250 gig version has a glossy finish which attracts dust but the model with a bit of flash memory has a matt black finish which attracts no dust.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Haabermaaster

Post by Haabermaaster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:56 am

Keep the Xbox 360 well ventilated. Also try to install games to the Hard Drive to stop the disc from constantly spinning (causing yet more heat) and you should be A-Ok for years. Plus Microsoft give a massively generous 3 year full warranty. :D
Also thevulture seems to be the one to ask for which version (Xbox/PS3) is the best to get if you own both machines.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:41 am

Haabermaaster wrote:Keep the Xbox 360 well ventilated. Also try to install games to the Hard Drive to stop the disc from constantly spinning (causing yet more heat) and you should be A-Ok for years. Plus Microsoft give a massively generous 3 year full warranty. :D
Also thevulture seems to be the one to ask for which version (Xbox/PS3) is the best to get if you own both machines.
:lol: Many would disagree....(Oh and i'd keep the power brick 'off the ground' as well, both it and console need good airflow.My Elite-Still going strong, loads of air space around them).

As for which version to get be it PS3 or 360, with the older stuff, i'd say 360 in MOST cases, 360 lead development platform PS3 version often poor port, given to another developer to convert (Orange Box, Bayonetta etc).Fallout 3 on PS3-THE worse version for bugs!, irony being with New Vegas 360/PS3 versions both as bad as each other for bugs.

Oblivion, Burnout Paradise i'd say PS3.Slighlty optimised for the machine.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 am

(CONT.)-other than that, 360 games often slightly cheaper than PS3 ver. but check disc for laser burn before buying. IF yer into your online gaming (and don't mind paying for it) 360 has better servers, DLC usually 1st.

The 'Bigger' games starting to fill 2 or more discs, where as PS3 has advantage of Blu-ray, so you get everything (and DLC in case of GOTY editions) on 1 disc, plus E.A starting to add 'freebies' on some of their titles (Dead Space 2, Medal Of Honour).

MS has better customer service, Sony more friendly towards Region Free, Mods, Keyboard and mouse etc if your looking to buy Unreal T.3

Swings and roundabouts. 2 complement each other and provide much needed competition.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:17 am

So you have to pay to play online multiplayer? on any game?

Thats a bit harsh, whats the damage £££?

Also you say about sony being better with regards to region free, does this mean the ps3 will play NTSC games but the 360 wont?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:27 am

ChipTune wrote:So you have to pay to play online multiplayer? on any game?

Thats a bit harsh, whats the damage £££?

Also you say about sony being better with regards to region free, does this mean the ps3 will play NTSC games but the 360 wont?
Yep, you can still buy stuff on XBL, try demos, etc etc, but for on-line gaming you need to be a GOLD membership owner., Vanillia account know known as Xbox live:Free (used to be silver).'Damage...Depends, usually some sort of % off deal going on, not sure off top of my head, used to be £35. In it's defence, servers are better than PSN (as i'd bloody hope), but likes of EA/Konami also i believe use their own and they are poor.

360 online gaming not really my area-sure others on here far more worthy to ask.

PS3 is Region Free for GAMES.But not films.Folks were picking up NTSC Demon's Souls over here, when it looked like European release was'nt going to happen.

This aspect 1 thing Sony got very right with PSP and PS3.Don't Region lock it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:33 am

:? Ref Xbox Live:Gold-Not sure IF they still do it, but i had 2 months FREE membership from MS when i bought my Elite.Plus various games come with 48-Hr/2 month Free trials via cards enclosed with them.

Just had a look on Amazon (other stores avaiable) 12 month membership: £33.99.
3 Month £11.99

Might be able to pick up cheaper deals elsewhere.-Hope that helps.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 am

thanks.. to be honest i am a casual online gamer (not like the old days of clan based Quake and Quake 2) and so would have like to have tired it but Im not paying £35.. will keep an eye out for freebies and stuff..

on a slightly dodgy note.. just out of curiosity you undestand.. I was watching some games on youtibe to see which ones I might buy on XBLA and I found a video showing you can get codes to activate demos into full games.. thus meaning all the XBLA games would be free.. this is clearly bad form, but does it work? and Will it get you banned from xbox live arcade?

I always see 'banned from xbla' consoles on ebay and wondered how that happens

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:37 am

If you don't wanna pay for XBL, get a PS3. ;)
Logged out 15/07/2014.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 am

ChipTune wrote:thanks.. to be honest i am a casual online gamer (not like the old days of clan based Quake and Quake 2) and so would have like to have tired it but Im not paying £35.. will keep an eye out for freebies and stuff..

on a slightly dodgy note.. just out of curiosity you undestand.. I was watching some games on youtibe to see which ones I might buy on XBLA and I found a video showing you can get codes to activate demos into full games.. thus meaning all the XBLA games would be free.. this is clearly bad form, but does it work? and Will it get you banned from xbox live arcade?

I always see 'banned from xbla' consoles on ebay and wondered how that happens
:? No idea on the code thing, though suppose it would work.Codes generated same way as say a product activation key.

The banned consoles-Have a feeling thats those who've 'flashed'/Modded their machines. MS roles out the ban hammer a few times a year (Dashboard updates etc) catches plenty each time.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:50 am

ChipTune, don't follow some crappy video made by 12 year olds.

Pay for the games or don't bother.
Logged out 15/07/2014.