XBOX 360 on its way.. now which live arcade games are best?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

XBOX 360 on its way.. now which live arcade games are best?

Post by ChipTune » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks for all the advice you guys gave in this thread before I actually took the plunge and bought one..

There arent that many boxed games I want for the system really, bar Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, and Super Street Fighter 4

Im much more excited about the downloadable games:

Shadow Complex
Final Fight Double Impact
Castle Crasher
Scott Pilgrim
Prince of Persia Classic
Outrun
Afterburner Climax
Castlevania : Harmony of Despair
REZ HD
Alien Breed 3

So far these seem the best ones in my opinion, but are there any other must-have titles on there Ive missed, and does anyone have any useful feedback on the above titles (i.e. it sucks ass and isnt worth the money.. that kind of thing)
Last edited by ChipTune on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lorfarius

Re: Im having a Retro Gaming Crisis - Time for PS3? or Xbox?

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:57 am

If yuo have to go for one I would say the 360 is better as there's just loads more games and the Xbox Live downloads are much more plentiful. You can pick them up dirt cheap too.

At the end of the day XBox Live has Sensible World of Soccer on it, say no more.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 am

The best system is that which most of your friends have (or the friends who you are most likely to play online with). I have both and to be honest there's really very little between them. Most of my mates have PS3s but I hardly play online with it, whereas I'm often playing co-op games with a mate who has a 360.

Both have great exclusive titles, but the very best games tend to be multiplatform anyway.

PS3 slightly edges it for me because it has free online play, but if most of your mates have a 360 then it's well worth paying the £35 annually for X-Box Live. The 360 probably has a better range of co-op games if you're into those.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 am

Regardless, you really need a modern console as if you're into gaming they have so so much to offer.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:17 am

Get one then you'll see how naff they are and go back to retro.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:20 am

360 by a mile. You may have to pay for online but theres so many gems on XBLA and theres always plenty of special offers on. Theres also classics like Radiant Silvergun coming out on it soon.

PSN's got better recently but the european side of its still really poor in compariosn to what the US and Japan get. The only big thing that PS3's got going for it is Blu Ray really.

Wouldn't sell the retro stuff though

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 am

I have been doing some research and while things like red dead and unchartered and all those games look great I think it will be the same as with every other console ive had, they get boring after a while and I end up playing Lotus 2 and heimdall 2 on amiga, adventure island on NES, symphony of the night on playstation etc etc

I think its just that I prefer fun 2d games to full on blockbuster sandbox games.. I dont have any friends who play anything online and im not interested in online multiplayer games..

The 360 looks like it has some wicked live arcade titles that would tickle my retro bone, so may go for that.. ALTHOUGH.. ps3 has Wipeout

BY THE WAY - I dont have an HD TV, so maybe it isnt worth it.. I can barely read the text on red dead through my 26" sony tv

Dam

Post by Dam » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 am

I only quite recently took the plunge and got a PS3 (and I wish I'd got a 360 instead now) and to be honest retro doesn't get much of a look-in anymore, infact I haven't bought a game for a retro system for quite some months.

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:58 pm

I've had both. I still have the 360. PS3 lasted about 9 months. Says it all really.

You get what you pay for with regards to online!

IMO anyways!

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:00 pm

I've given the PS3 two chances, one at launch, and another just over a year ago, and IMO it is one of the most
bland and souless consoles I have played in a long time. It's a shame, because in years to come, when compared
to the PS1 and PS2, it just will not stand out.

Go for the Xbox 360, much better.

Sorry if this view breaks anyones heart :wink:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 pm

As owner of both, been burned by the hyped, hyper scoring games on both over time.Never took to likes of Dead Rising, Red Dead Rev., Far Cry 2 etc etc.

You learn to sort the wheat from the chaff, ignore critics nit picking games for the sake of it, good example:Alan Wake 360.Bloody fantastic game, yet scored 7/10 in lot of places, plot moaned at etc etc.

I use PS3 more than 360 but then thats partly down to it having the games i want (Demon's Souls, Uncharted, Killzone series) and also for amount of time i play online, not willing to pay for it.But it's personal taste at end of the day.Machines are nothing more than the box under the telly that makes the magic happen.

I'd like to see a few more Retro compilations a la MD collection appear on both machines in the future, but think it's more likely individual games will get the HD remake treatment and appear on XBLA/PSN.

IF you get a 360, get Shadow Complex-Old school gameplay in modern visuals and a blinding game.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:44 pm

360 FOR SURE........
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Yeah thanks I think the 360 is the one.. so can people recommend the best retro / 2d themed games on the live service.. that would be great

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Keep all the old stuff, buy a new system to complement it. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I've got all 5 current gen systems (I'm not going to put iOS in here as I'm sulking with it) and I'd suggest the 360 probably fits your bill most.

XBL is by far the best of the downloadable content systems in its execution and sheer volume of interesting games, especially when you factor in the Indie stuff.

Its also got a larger back catalogue of cheap games that are worth playing. PS3 is still a contender, but right now 360 edges it.

It'll really come down to you looking at the games available (at retail, preowned and downloads) and deciding which of the two you prefer, taking into account the system exclusives. If you want Gears of War, it has to be 360. If its God of War, then PS3 is the way to go.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:30 pm

I had a 360 for three months, played it for an hour. The games just didn't grab me, but hey, I have a Wii instead ;)
I guess it comes down to if you like the games that are offered on either; then either is your best choice, since the majority of games are either on both, or similar titles are available.