Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:39 pm

The most frank and searingly honest Lewis Hamilton interview I've ever read - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 287313.stm

The standout comments for me,

"It will take a lot to recover from the difficulties that I've had this year..."

"It's about driving, it's about where you are in your head, it's about a combination of things..."

"I've just not been doing the job..."

"I still keep pushing regardless of how many blows I take..."

With this and other recent interviews it perhaps seems Hamilton is a troubled young man and has been for much of the past F1 season. :(
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 pm

He is talented but flawed. He wants to be Senna with his aggressive style - but it is just not working for him. Button is the team mate he needed from day 1 - not stroppy Alonso or silent Kovelinen.

Lets see what he can do this weekend in Korea............
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:11 pm

markopoloman wrote:He is talented but flawed. He wants to be Senna with his aggressive style - but it is just not working for him. Button is the team mate he needed from day 1 - not stroppy Alonso or silent Kovelinen.

Lets see what he can do this weekend in Korea............
I know what you're saying about him maybe wanting to be like Ayrton Senna but I honestly don't think that's the true explanation. It's well documented that Hamilton was/is a huge Senna fan and so it seems reasonable to assume his aggressive style of overtaking perhaps comes in part as a result of that. However, the key difference for me is that Hamilton's F1 career prior to this season simply didn't feature the same frequency of on-track collisions with other drivers and/or reprimands (official or unofficial) from the stewards.

To me it seems reasonable to assume that something else has caused these poor judgement calls this season more than any other. Hamilton's alluded to his head not being in the right place in more than one interview now so clearly something is troubling him. My guess would be that it's a combination of factors which include the relationship he has with his father, frustrations felt within McLaren *, frustrations of not being in a championship winning car for three consecutive seasons and also the guidance received from his new management team that replaced the role his father once occupied ever since he was a child.

* Mark Blundell commented the other night on talkSPORT radio that Jenson Button is now seen as the "go-to guy" within McLaren when it comes to deciding on car setups. Point being, since Ron Dennis moved upstairs and Button joined the team Hamilton has seen his influence lessen to some extent.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:47 am

Lewis is having a tough time. I suspect that having someone as young as Vettel has woken up all of the F1 drivers. He and Jenson seemed well suited as teammates. 9

The Korean track is on this weekend. I am not that impressed by it. There was rain in free practise 1. Sadly, none scheduled for race day.

The main talking points now are the second place in the WDC, Rubens' position at Williams, who will be top driver at Mercedes(Rosberg or Schumi) and if Vettel can break some more records this season(number of poles or wins).

The McLaren does look like it has got good race pace - at least to take on the Red Bull better. In qualifying, I think the Red Bull will win out.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:19 am

Pre-race media stories doing the rounds,

* Flavio Briatore on Vettel: "Vettel is definitely good. But he won because he best managed his phenomenal car. He is not the best. If there was a race where they were all in the same car, Vettel would be behind Fernando Alonso and also Lewis Hamilton. On a qualifying lap, I see Vettel in pole position, then Hamilton and Alonso third." :lol:

* Kimi Raikkonen may be returning to F1 next year as a Williams driver... but sponsorship uncertainties may stop it from happening

* Renault's Eric Boullier to speak with Robert Kubica this week to find out the latest on his recovery and a possible return to F1

* Ross Brawn on Vettel: "... It will be interesting to see Sebastian's role, Sebastian's influence, Sebastian's position when perhaps he does not have the best car, he has to make it the best car, and has to create the best car." :mrgreen:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:50 am

Wow. The first non Red Bull pole. A great lap from Lewis. Although, he still doesn't look happy. Can he stay out of trouble tomorrow? He has Vettel and his teammate behind him. It could be a nasty accident at the first corner. The McLarens seemed to have really upped their pace.

Interesting tyre choice by Red Bull. Going to make the race exciting. Vettel has to wait for the pole positions record. Don't rule out the Red Bull for a win. Webber is long overdue one, as well.

Even Alonso reckons his Ferrari could be quick.

The battle for the 2nd spot in the WDC could be very interesting now. Lewis might want to try and stamp his authority on Button.

The DRS zone looks interesting as well. That straight is very long. I hope the teams have got the gear ratios right.

An early morning race.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:40 am

Should have been a McLaren 1-2 but Button hit the rev limiter on the last bend (kink) on the way to the start/finish line. Nice to see a non-RedBull pole - but bloody hell, Hamilton needs to show a little sportsmanship to all the fans watching! No smile and not even a wave to the crowd :o Miserable git.

Fingers crossed Button takes Vettel into the 1st corner, looks after his tyres and wins the race! :D

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:53 am

A pretty good race. Although I am not a fan of the circuit, I will admit it does seem to allow racing. Another victory for Vettel. When will he lose? Come on. Just once or twice. Oh well. He did deserve it. A good drive from him and another overtake without DRS.

A solid drive from Lewis as well. He and Webber had a right old dingdong! Great stuff! Made the race for me, especially as a certain German fellow seems to like to race of into the distance.

Alonso came alive as well. Once he got past Massa. If he had done that earlier he could possibly challenged for the podium.

Jenson seemed just to settle for 4th. A pity, as I think he could have at least hussled Webber in the final stages.

Solid drives from Alguersuari and Rosberg.

The Petrov and Schumi accident looked bad! Glad that no one was hurt.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Katzkatz wrote:The Petrov and Schumi accident looked bad! Glad that no one was hurt.
Anyone watching the Indy Car tonight? Wow, what a crash - I will be amazed if no one is dead - 15 car pile up....its not good when you see something like this live :(
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:04 pm

I've never seen Indy Car, and didn't even know we got it here, but I've just looked it up and :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFCOugYb6Hg
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:27 pm

necronom wrote:I've never seen Indy Car, and didn't even know we got it here, but I've just looked it up and :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFCOugYb6Hg
Bloody hell - YouTube is quick.

Yeh, its on Sky Sports 4 and I know that the oval track races may sound boring but they are not bad - just before the accident it was mental with 3 and sometimes 4 cars side by side at 220mph.

- Dan Wheldon, who's a Brit, is the one who is seriously injured.

Its been a red flag for an hour & a half - will be surprised if the race starts again.

Its weird watching something like this live....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Dan Wheldon died - I didn't think there could be a crash that bad without a death :(

Watching one of the Sky Sports studio guests crying is just not a good thing to see

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:48 pm

RIP

Horrendous crash.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:18 pm

What a horrible horrible thing to happen :cry: Too little is ever said of the brilliant Brit racers in Indycar - Dan was a champion and well known race winner. That was a horrific crash and should open the eyes of the Indycar bosses and enter the world of F1 safety.

R.I.P Dan. :(

On a plus point (and I don't think it is a championship he will ever enjoy winning) - fellow brit Dario Franchitti was crowned winner after the race was cancelled. Still a very sad day for motorsport.

supermario

Post by supermario » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:08 am

RIP Dan Wheldon - :(

IRL/ Champ Cart (defunct now) has had a lot of bad crashes on the Oval circuits without any other serious injuries as far as I can remember lately so safetly is something they do take seriously but lapping at 220+ MPH in inherantly dangerous if the smallest things goes wrong.