Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:25 pm

It would be hard to pick a driver of the day. I am tempted to say Button(13th to 3rd) and also Schumi. Rosberg had a really good race as well. As had Alonso and Webber. You can't really say that Vettel deserved to win. Amazingly, he managed to do some overtaking(Rosberg and Alonso). The title will soon be his.

The Kobayshi and Hamilton crash was a racing incident. It was both of their fault.

I think the DRS zone was perhaps a bit too big. It was a little too easy to overtake.

Roll on Monza.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:37 am

This weekend Formula DRS - sorry Formula 1 goes to Italy and the Monza race track. Two DRS zones! I think they are probably too long again. The Red Bull does look quick here. Pole position number 10 and race win number 8 for 'Finger Boy', at least it looks that way. There is still the big question of Jenson's contract with McLaren. Plus, how long will it take for Lewis Hamilton to crash out of this race? :lol:

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:02 am

Eddie's shirt is particularly spectacular today.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:26 am

Joey wrote:Eddie's shirt is particularly spectacular today.
he still looks like one of the chuckle brothers

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Katzkatz wrote:This weekend Formula DRS - sorry Formula 1 goes to Italy and the Monza race track. Two DRS zones! I think they are probably too long again. The Red Bull does look quick here. Pole position number 10 and race win number 8 for 'Finger Boy', at least it looks that way. There is still the big question of Jenson's contract with McLaren. Plus, how long will it take for Lewis Hamilton to crash out of this race? :lol:
It's going to be an interesting race. Vettel has gone for short gear ratios - so although he is quick in corners, on the straight he is 24th fastest (that'll be the LOWEST on the DRS zones).... I will predict him not winning...........................
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:17 am

It all depends on the start again. If Vettel managed to get a good start and keep the lead into the first and second cornor then he'll breeze the race because that's what he does best.

If Hamilton and Button manage to get a better start then Vettel and push him back to 3rd then he'll struggle because he'll be fighting against the others.

I'm hedging my bets on Button and Hamiton getting past Vettel in the first lap with Button taking 1st, and then Hamliton taking Button a few laps later. Hopefully Hamilton will finish this week.

On topic with F1, I sat down and watched the Movie/Doc 'Senna' yesterday, and it was a great movie. It's scary though how Senna's life mimics Hamilton's life on the track (Senna joins McLaren - Fights with Prost - Hamilton joins McLaren - Fights with Alonso), the way he drives and attacks etc. I think Hamilton bases his whole driving style on Senna by the looks of things.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm

A pretty good race today. The DRS was about right. Plus, Mr. Vettel produced a superb overtake. Get a load of that dust(watch it back on replay). He didn't have to attack Alonso, he could have settled for second.

A good scrap between Schumi and Hamilton. Schumi was perhaps a little bit over zealous, but not as bad as he has been in the past(Hungary last year, Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997). Hamilton had his hands full today.

By contrast, Jenson managed to breeze past Schumi. He had a pretty decent race today. He still needs to qualify better though.

Kudos to Alonso for that start. Plus Alguersuari was pretty good today.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Agreed, pretty good race. Vettel is just unstoppable! Delete him from the race and the battle for 1st would have been superb!

Button qualified 3rd - so I think he did a pretty good job there................... BUT his get away was terrible! That's why he was down in 7th after the first corner. Still, he had a fantastic race again - and I rate him as about the best driver this season.

Hamilton / Schumi fight - It was really exciting to watch and I really hoped Schumi would be allowed to continue the fight without the stewards getting involved - and they let them fight :D I'd rather see Hamiton fight for the place and not be given it....... Button breezed by Schumi.............. I laughed :lol: :lol: :lol:

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:47 am

Something very strange happened during Q3 that no-one seems to have mentioned anywhere on the show, the F1 site, the interviews, or here. It's like there is some sort of cover-up.

It was Q3 and we were watching Button closely. It was right near the end of the session and I think Vettel had the fastest time, Lewis was next, then Button. Button got the fastest time after the first split time (something like .15 quicker than Vettel). Me, my Brother and Dad were all really pleased and hoping for a pole. The next time appeared, and it was still quicker, and it was looking like a definite pole (Vettel was still on track so we didn't know if he was going to do something stupid like get .5 faster at that point).

He neared the line. We were getting excited. The time was going 1:18, 1:19, 1:20... He's almost there! Then suddenly the time counter fades off. I was shouting "What's going on? Where is his time. He should have pole!". Then to our total amazement a red "P" appears next to his name!! "What's going on?", we were all shouting. "It's like the last race when this kind of thing happened to Button AND Di Resta".

We eagerly awaited the explanation. None came. Strange, we thought. They'll be a replay of him going off, or something. There wasn't. Button will mention it in the interviews. He didn't. The F1 site will mention it. I couldn't see anything there.

Can anyone explain this very strange turn of events? A video clip? A quote? Why Jake/Eddie/David/Martin/the World isn't mentioning it?

Jenson would have started in second place, and that might have made a big difference at the end.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 am

He aborted the lap as he was a tenth slower in the first sector and felt he never caught up for the rest of the lap.

I take it the P appeared as he entered the pit lane?

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Joey wrote:He aborted the lap as he was a tenth slower in the first sector and felt he never caught up for the rest of the lap.

I take it the P appeared as he entered the pit lane?
Yes, the P is the pit lane indicator, which is what totally baffled me. Why would he go in the pits when he was going faster that the (then) fastest lap?

I was seeing green times his whole lap, so I don't know where the "tenth slower" came from.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 am

My thoughts exactly - that lap was, as you say, faster. Green in the 1st sector, green in the 2nd sector and then pits :? Strange that he didn't complete the lap.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:26 pm

markopoloman wrote:My thoughts exactly - that lap was, as you say, faster. Green in the 1st sector, green in the 2nd sector and then pits :? Strange that he didn't complete the lap.
Hooray! Someone else in the world noticed! :D

I was starting yo think that only our TV got the secret uncensored version!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Tomorrow we have the Singapore night race. Where 'Finger boy' can claim the title - possibly. If not here then at Suzuka(where he always seems to be very good). He got his 11th pole of the season. Just another 3 of them and then he can match old Ferret face's record.

Lewis looked messy today. He shouldn't have had that tussle with Massa in qualifying. He has got to calm down a bit. I hope he doesn't have another incident.

Jenson did well to qualify third. It could be likely that he could get second in the championship.

Webber did well to get second. Hopefully he can at least provide some sort of challenge to Vettel. Although, I don't think Red Bull would want that.

I hope the DRS can spice up the racing at Singapore. It doesn't exactly produce good races.

All the talk in the paddock, is of the possible return of Kimi. I would like to see him back as he is a character. Plus having 6 WDCs in F1 racing would be amazing. Just a shame that Williams isn't running well.

What does it mean for Rubens as well?
Last edited by Katzkatz on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:51 pm

It is becoming very annoying seeing Vettel sitting on pole for almost every bloody race! (although you can't deny that he is just bloody good)..
Kimi in a Williams......... Well, you have to remember that Williams will be using the Renault engine next year.

Come on Button - get a win here :D

Vettel to crash out. :wink: