Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:22 pm

No-one mentioned Buemi as a potential driver of the day? Back of the grid and finished 8th, impressive stuff whichever way you cut it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:42 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:No-one mentioned Buemi as a potential driver of the day? Back of the grid and finished 8th, impressive stuff whichever way you cut it.
Just noticed that. Seems to have gotten over shadowed by the front runners race, though. Still, I have taken notice of it now.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:09 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:No-one mentioned Buemi as a potential driver of the day? Back of the grid and finished 8th, impressive stuff whichever way you cut it.
Just noticed that. Seems to have gotten over shadowed by the front runners race, though. Still, I have taken notice of it now.
Yeah, Torro Rosso seem to be getting good at this. Algeswateverhisnameis has done it for the last 2 races - they stick em on a 2 stopper and hope for the best! Works though. There were some fantastic fights down there in 7th to 13th.............

My driver of the day though has to go to Button. He had the bit between his teeth and had some fantastic fights with Hamilton and Vettel. When he took the lead,you could see Vettel closing the gap and that thought of 'oh no! Here we go, he's going to catch up and repay Button for his Canada last lap mistake!' But Button just said 'f*ck you mate, I'm having this one' and banged in a few fastest laps!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:44 pm

If Scotland's Paul di Resta continues to improve then the newspapers may soon be referring to him as being British. :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Interesting times at Red Bull...

Sunday 31st July:
"Sebastian Vettel calls for Red Bull rethink after Hungarian GP"
(Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 357778.stm )

Wednesday 3rd August:
"Christian Horner told BBC Sport: "We work as a team and the drivers don't need to tell the team we need to respond.""
(Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 389521.stm )

Handbags at dawn! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

I think Red Bull still have the fastest car this season, it's just that Vettel isn't as comfortable when he's having to fight for that 1st place.

On each of his wins this season, he's basically stormed in front from the first lap and comfortably won the races with no real pressure from anyone else.

Now that McLaren and Ferrari are right there with him, he's having to race for that 1st place, and I don't think he's as comfortable doing that like Hamilton, Button and Alonso are.

He needs to calm down, stop blaming his team and keep focused on the job in hand. As long as he keep's in car on the track, and avoids any DNF's then he'll easily take the championship. He's got the backing from RB as top driver (no matter what RB say, that's the truth), so he's just got to finish the race with no heroics.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm

This article's a good read if you're interested in which team may or may not have the most competitive car right now:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 363956.stm

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:56 pm

I still think the Red Bull is probably still the fastest car. I think it won't be fast at Spa and for the next two races(Italy and Singapore). From then on, I think Mr. Newey will work his 'magic' with upgrades and the Red Bull will be at the top again with some margin. I think at Spa, Italy and Singapore McLaren and Ferrari will pick up the wins. Educated guess about what is going to happen, but still.

Vettel stills has to prove he can race. Maybe he'll try it in the next few races. To be honest, he can afford to play it safe, he has such a large points lead. I can't see anyone trying to catch him. I think he will, just keep scoring regular points.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:15 pm

It's like Button in 2009 all over again, I feel.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:It's like Button in 2009 all over again, I feel.
Yeah, sort of - except Vettel has an even bigger lead. Plus the Red Bull will come back to being the fastest car - unlike in 2009 when the Brawn got overtaken by McLaren and Red Bull.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:It's like Button in 2009 all over again, I feel.
There are admittedly some parallels but in the case of Button he at least proved himself capable of being able to mix it and overtake both during and prior to 2009. :)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Nearly forgot to post here. This week F1 is back! We are at the world's best race track - Spa! Yes it might have lost some of its 'edge', but it still is great to race there. We have had rain in qualifying and that put up an unusual result - namely Vettel on pole again! :lol: Interesting I watched one of the 'classic F1 races' shown on the BBC's red button channel and it was Brazil 2008 - Vettel overtook Hamilton in that race :lol:

Still the little fracas with Lewis and Maldonado was interesting, in Spa. Maldonado got a five place grid lot drop for doing that.

A pity about Jenson getting 13th. Likewise I think Webber feels upset not getting pole. Di Resta and Alonso didn't do very well as well. What about Schumi's little accident?

I hope we have some rain tomorrow. Who will win? Hmmm, tricky - I get a feeling Mr. Vettel might manage it. I think he might want to lay down some sort of marker and say : "I'm still here boys. Try and catch me.". Speculation of course, but it could happen. Anyway let us hope for a good race tomorrow.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Great drives from Button and Schumi, and what a start from Rosberg.

But getting fed up of seeing that finger.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Was a good race - not one of the best at Spa though.
Button and Schumi were excellent (Button more so due to the mega-overtakes).

Hamilton has now accepted full responsibility for the crash with Kobiyashi - after watching the incident on tv!!

And yes - time to snap that finger off!