Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:23 pm

freemonk wrote:...Somehow I'm guessing Mark Webber won't be there next year. I'm betting that he'll end up at Mercededes next year when ole' man Schumy retires....again!
It's was confirmed a few days ago that Schumacher will continue at Mercedes next year: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 073487.stm
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Yep, Schumi seems determined to stay on for another year. He is a bit stronger at the moment.

A pretty good race. The opening laps with the wet track were exciting. Lewis and Jenson pulled some super moves then. The middle part of the race was a bit boring, but it came alive at the end. I think everyone would have liked to have seen Webber challenge Vettel. Two drivers in the same car racing one another, only seems to happen at McLaren. I can see why they did it. At least it wasn't like the Alonso situation last year in Hockenheim.

Alonso did well today. The rule changes might have helped. I think it is back to normal, for the exhaust gas blowing, at the next race. Still he was mighty fast. Plus he is level with Jackie Stewart on 27 wins. Just needs a third world title. The Ferrari does seem like the second fastest car now.

Massa was pretty good in the race. I think his strategy wasn't right for this race. Plus he made a mistake at the end. Still he seemed to step up this weekend.

Lewis and Jenson both had pretty decent races. McLaren however, seem to be the most incompetent team going. Putting Lewis out on the wrong tyres for qualifying and then not fitting Jenson's tyre properly for the race! How many bad mistakes do they want to make? I think they think it is some kind of record!

I suspect that we are going to have 'Lewis is angry with McLaren' stories in the media still and in the following weeks, until the next race in Hockenheim.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Great Drive by Alonso

Good fun driving by Hamilton, but his racing brain isn't fully switched on at present - controlled aggression Lewis!

Unlucky Vettel - RB really dropped that pitstop - but I have a feeling Alonso was on for the win anyway.

And you know - considering new nose and stop go penalty - schumi would have been right at the sharp end - his pace was very good today.

Did Riccardo finish? I like him - he's a good bet for the future

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote: Good fun driving by Hamilton, but his racing brain isn't fully switched on at present - controlled aggression Lewis!
What?!? Apart from drifting wide twice on the same corner (that didn't lose him any places) Hamilton was absolutely stellar today. Tenth to fifth inside the very first two laps, up to third by lap sixteen, holding off Vettel despite the Red Bull being allowed to use DRS and a brave defence of his position in the closing moments against a desperate overtaking attempt from Massa. Great stuff, Lewis.

He may have finished on the podium if McLaren hadn't let him down so badly by,

* sending him out in Q3 on worn tyres when everyone else, afaik, was on new tyres resulting in him qualifying in a lowly tenth place

* being outsmarted by Red Bull on pit stop strategy thereby letting Vettel pass while Hamilton was pitting

* making the schoolboy error of not putting the right amount of fuel in his car due to a miscalculation no other leading team appeared to have made meaning Hamilton had to slow down with ten laps still remaining thereby letting Webber past and Massa catch him right up

If he leaves McLaren for Red Bull then they only have themselves to blame, imho. They were an embarrassment today in letting down both their drivers. This is far from being the first time they've dropped the ball these past few years in addition to having not provided their drivers with a seriously competitive car since 2008.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:01 pm

My comment was referring to Lewis's whole season

Also, thought Schumi's penalty was a bit rough - to me he look like he just messed up and hit Kobayashi.

Di Resta and Hamilton both ploughed into others and got no penalty. Odd,

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:My comment was referring to Lewis's whole season

Also, thought Schumi's penalty was a bit rough - to me he look like he just messed up and hit Kobayashi.

Di Resta and Hamilton both ploughed into others and got no penalty. Odd,
Ah, okay, that's a little fairer. :D

Yep, the ten second stop-go penalty Schuey was handed seemed a tad harsh. He stated in a post-race interview that he simply misjudged the braking point. Still, it was yet another mistake by him this season resulting in a coming together with another driver.

I think it's a tad unfair to characterise Hamilton as having "ploughed into" Massa. The way it looked to me, Massa took the corner very wide indeed and then attempted to turn in on the racing line/apex which was where Hamilton was placed, i.e. he chopped Hamilton. They both took the corner poorly - Massa for braking late and coming in wide, Hamilton for locking up due to cold tyre and brake temperatures due to having been instructed to drive slowly to conserve fuel over the team radio for the previous nine or ten laps. To my eyes, it was a racing incident plain and simple.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:22 pm

yer a racing incident, but it did look to me like Hamilton ploughed into Massa - but here's the rub - I rather like it when drivers decide to go for it like that :wink: I'd like to see Lewis with more titles and wins, but he's more of an entertainer at the moment - which is fine by me - he's a great part of the show.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:34 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Great Drive by Alonso

Good fun driving by Hamilton, but his racing brain isn't fully switched on at present - controlled aggression Lewis!

Unlucky Vettel - RB really dropped that pitstop - but I have a feeling Alonso was on for the win anyway.

And you know - considering new nose and stop go penalty - schumi would have been right at the sharp end - his pace was very good today.

Did Riccardo finish? I like him - he's a good bet for the future
Yep, Ricciardo finished 19th. Solid enough for his first race in tricky conditions.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Tomorrow is race day for Nürburgring. Not Hockenheim, like I posted up before(doh!!!!). Webber has pole. Plus Lewis is on second place and looks pretty good. Sebestian Skywalker had to settle for third place in qualifying.

Both the tyres(more durable) and exhaust blowing have been changed. There is rain expected to for this race. Hopefully it should spice it up a bit. Fingers crossed for a good race tomorrow.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Yeah, that was some lap that Hamilton put in to get 2nd. Well done Webber for his 2nd pole in a row.............

I am doing a rain dance right now :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:01 am

Predictions for the race in Germany??

If it's a dry race, then I think as long as he gets a good start of the line then Hamilton. He was just on fire yesterday!

If it's a wet race, then you can't count out Button!
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:31 am

Unsurprisingly the race is exciting when Vettel not on pole!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:20 am

So then... the one time the F1 world has been waiting for to see what Vettel's like when in a proper race and he's been found wanting. Massively so in fact.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 am

Another stunning race from Hamilton - this time rewarded with a win... partly due to McLaren not stuffing it up for him for once!

Wow, even David Coulthard (the former Red Bull driver usually given to praising the team at any given opportunity) is now questioning Vettel's true abilities as a racer. That says it all for me and backs up what I've been arguing for some time - that Vettel is little more than a glorified test driver only capable of winning when starting from the front and staying there. If he grew a pair and showed the kind of racing, i.e. not solely driving, talent as the likes of Hamilton, Kobayashi, Alonso and others do then maybe he'll be deserving of some genuine respect.

Go Lewis!!!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:53 pm

A superb race for Lewis(crasher) Hamilton! :lol: He seemed to take the same attitude he had at China. Used his brain and got a good race result. He did a mega move around Alonso today. I agree it helps when McLaren don't mess up the pitstop calls!

Felt sorry for Webber, after all the work he done to get pole. He still had a good race.

Alonso raced well today. Good that he and his nemesis had a battle. plus they didn't take each other off.

The force was not with Sebestian Skywalker today. Mind you, it is not like he has lost the championship! He can afford a fourth place. It does seem that he can't race in traffic. He still has to prove himself in that department.

There was meant to be rain today - what happened? A shame, it never happened!

Next week it is racing at the Boringring - sorry Hungary! Not a great race track, in my opinion. Will the Red Bull(and Vettel) be kept at bay? I hope so - so as to add some spice to this year's championship.