Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ipmarks

Re: Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

Post by ipmarks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:39 am

markopoloman wrote:Already sent complaints to the BBC and FOTA. With any luck this has broken the Concorde agreement with the teams and they sue Bernie and the BBC.
I will not be buying anything from that corrupt arsehole Murdoch - so Sky can stick it. I'd also say that I will not watch 50% of races on the BBC - feck them! If I pay my license (and they make a fecking lot of money with that) then I expect to be able to watch the full bloody thing.

Sky have said they won't have adverts - and that is great, but they can still f*ck off.

Very angry.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

complain to FOTA ................... info@teamsassociation.org
Complain to the BBC ................ https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/
sign petition......................... http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

Just waiting for the official Government petition to start up - will post link to that too. (100 000 votes to go to our wonderful MP's)......
Agree with every word... will make sure I complain to the people you list.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 am

ipmarks wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Already sent complaints to the BBC and FOTA. With any luck this has broken the Concorde agreement with the teams and they sue Bernie and the BBC.
I will not be buying anything from that corrupt arsehole Murdoch - so Sky can stick it. I'd also say that I will not watch 50% of races on the BBC - feck them! If I pay my license (and they make a fecking lot of money with that) then I expect to be able to watch the full bloody thing.

Sky have said they won't have adverts - and that is great, but they can still f*ck off.

Very angry.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

complain to FOTA ................... info@teamsassociation.org
sign petition......................... http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

Just waiting for the official Government petition to start up - will post link to that too. (100 000 votes to go to our wonderful MP's)......
Agree with every word... will make sure I complain to the people you list.
+1
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:47 am

This is pretty awful news for F1. I ditched Sky TV last year due to terrible programming and the availability of HD F1 on Freesat.

If I want to watched every race in 2012, I would have to spend over £600p/a on the Sky package to watch in HD. To put that into perspective, I can go to 15 live Motorsport events over the year for the same amount. That includes transport/tickets for 2 people/food/drink.

It's not just a "i'm not giving Murdoch my money thing" (Although avoiding that is a bonus) - Sky's coverage of Motorsport has been shambolic at best. Remember A1 GP? The director constantly missed key overtakes/focused on the wrong battles, the presenters were mostly cheap and vacuum headed eye candy that asked questions like "Can you win from here" to the pole sitters. FOM handle the feed for F1 fortunately but it will almost certainly be outclassed by the BBC.

The best example of their incompetence was an A1 GP event where they cut back to the paddock/presenters as the cars crossed the finish line . . . with one lap still to race.

I'm gutted. I'm saving to compete in motorsport next year so I'll use the £600 for half a seasons entry fee's rather than a year of overpriced TV pap thank you very much Rupert. . . you wrinkly muppet.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 pm

This seems like a bad idea. Last time F1 went 'pay-per-view' was with Bernie's defunct satellite channel and that didn't make any money. I think the market won't support it.

It seems like Bernie just saw dollar signs and wanted more money from the BBC. They can't exactly stump up more cash at the moment, mainly due to stupid idea of moving television centre to Salford(but that's another story!). Rupert comes along and says : "Have some cash!". Bernie lapped it up.

What's the betting that in two or three seasons time the deal will collapse because of falling viewing figures? Then maybe the BBC might get full rights back?

I get Sky at the moment. I only get the movies and entertainment channels though. I don't think I will stump up more cash for the sports channels.

Looks like it is streaming sites for me. Maybe I'll just stick to MotoGP and Touring cars.

Elsewhere, this weekend F1 goes to the Hungboringring :lol: :lol: :lol: . Never been a fan of this track. Although, sometimes there can be some good racing there. Amazingly it has had a 25 years uninterrupted run here! Good races in 1986, 1989, 1992, 1997(Damon I felt for you!) and 2006. I hope DRS spices things up. McLaren looks fast now. The Red Bull might not have quite the speed that it had at the beginning of the season. Prediction for a winner on Sunday? Well either Alonso or Hamilton. Young Vettel still has to prove he can overtake.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Katzkatz wrote:What's the betting that in two or three seasons time the deal will collapse because of falling viewing figures?
Wise words indeed. I'm off down the bookies already!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:54 pm

markopoloman wrote: complain to FOTA ................... info@teamsassociation.org

Thanks. Two done so far.

I think Bernie has gone mad:

"It's good for Formula 1," he said. "For sure there are going to be a lot more people viewing, and a lot more opportunities for people to view, so from that point I'm very happy.

So reducing the number of people who can watch something increases the viewers? Yeah, okay. Whatever.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

andyc

Post by andyc » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:51 pm

I think people are forgetting that this all happened because the BBC, just like ITV before them, were trying to get released from their contract early. The sheer process of producing the show has just become too expensive. Now I'd rather not see it moved to premium rate TV channels, but I'm not sure there is a viable alternative. To be honest I'm not at all sure that even that will be sufficient as the costs of producing the kind of extensive coverage Sky are hyping up will surely be higher, whilst viewing figures will inevitably drop.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Personally I couldn't give a toss about BBC funding. All I know is that I, like every other UK F1 fan pays a TV license - and I want F1 to stay in full. The BBC has so many other areas it could cut back on - world news in other countries - bin them. BBC4 and BBC3 full of utter junk - bin them. Over paid management - bin them too. 3.5billion quid is made from the license.

F1 should have stayed. End of.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

the_retro_bear

Post by the_retro_bear » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:52 am

You have to remember that nearly £1 billion of that is funding the move to Salford, which I believe was the idea of the last Labour government to make the BBC less "Londoncentric"

If the rumours are true the BBC paid way over the odds for the rights they picked up when ITV wanted to drop F1 because of the costs. They obviously can't afford it now or in the future (those 24 concurrent internet streams for the 2012 Olympics won't pay for themselves) and have gone back to renegotiate the deal

Bringing Past To Present at http://www.retrosection.com

On YouTube - watch my lame gamesplaying at : http://www.youtube.com/TheRetroBear

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:58 am

^ Which they should have called off when the recession hit anyway!

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 am

Right, I've done all three of markopoloman's links now.

I'll be interested to hear what's said in today's programme.

If the rumour that C4 offered the same amount as Sky ($40m?), then Bernie (if it was him who made the decision) obviously has some agenda/hates the UK/doesn't care about the sport of the fans.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:22 am

I do subsribe to Sky Sports cos im a football fan but I do think its sh*te that BBC have bent over and taken it up the arse - half the races is a joke. Perhaps they could show the first half of premier league matches also
markopoloman wrote:BBC4 and BBC3 full of utter junk - bin them
Totally agree about BBC3 but BBC4 is my favourite channel - it has some amazing music / retro documentaries and to be honest I would be more gutted if I lost this channel.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:09 am

Bub&Bob wrote:I do subsribe to Sky Sports cos im a football fan but I do think its sh*te that BBC have bent over and taken it up the arse - half the races is a joke. Perhaps they could show the first half of premier league matches also
markopoloman wrote:BBC4 and BBC3 full of utter junk - bin them
Totally agree about BBC3 but BBC4 is my favourite channel - it has some amazing music / retro documentaries and to be honest I would be more gutted if I lost this channel.
BBC 3's good as well. Some of the better UK comedy stuff is on there. Eventually it gets copied across to BBC2/1 but that's only due to high figures on BBC3 in the first place. Typically the worst channel is BBC1.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 am

necronom wrote:Right, I've done all three of markopoloman's links now.

I'll be interested to hear what's said in today's programme.

If the rumour that C4 offered the same amount as Sky ($40m?), then Bernie (if it was him who made the decision) obviously has some agenda/hates the UK/doesn't care about the sport of the fans.
Well, what a crock of sh1t. On Friday in free practice the commentator said a chat with the head of F1 BBC would be on the quali show. Watched quali from start to finish and not even a mention of the new deal (except a sly comment from Brundle when he said 'the last 7 will be at the same job center as them next year!). Not even anything going on the red button after quali. Bloody cowards.

Such a shame when we had such a great quali session that it is all overshadowed by Bernies greed and the Beebs incompetence.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 pm

markopoloman wrote:Personally I couldn't give a toss about BBC funding. All I know is that I, like every other UK F1 fan pays a TV license - and I want F1 to stay in full. The BBC has so many other areas it could cut back on - world news in other countries - bin them. BBC4 and BBC3 full of utter junk - bin them. Over paid management - bin them too. 3.5billion quid is made from the license.

F1 should have stayed. End of.
What about when football went to Sky? The most watched sport in the world. Did it bother you then?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)