Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Formula 1 2011 Thread.....

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Eh, how could they leave out the greatest first lap by any F1 driver ever?
It'd be like making a Usain Bolt biopic and leaving out Beijing or Berlin!
I agree completely Liamh1982. I had a 'WTF?' moment in the cinema when the 1993 season was covered in the film.

Anyway, this weekend is the Canadian Grand Prix. I always like the Canadian race. It is on in the afternoon in the UK, which makes it different to me. Plus it is on a decent circuit, which has some high speed straights. Last year's race was probably the best of the 2010 season as it was helped by the crumbly tyres and featured some overtaking! It also helped that someone other than a Red Bull got pole. With two DRS zones at the track, we could see some amazing action.

I hope Hamilton has calmed down now. He is usually pretty good at Canada(winning in 2007 and 2010, we'll forget about his 2008 race! :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I hope that Jesnon has a good race as well. He did well at Monaco.

Can anyone stop Vettel? I don't think so. The young vinyl loving German just seems to be on top form, so far.

Anyway, roll on Canada.

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Wow, look at all that rain, and it's another weekend that Lewis is going to get pulled into the Stewards! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally, it's just a drivers incident between Lewis and Mark Webber and Jenson Button, especially in those driving conditions.

Here's hoping the race starts again!!
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Great race. Button was brilliant

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:16 pm

That was brilliant! I actually jumped out my chair and was jumping up and down like an idiot when he got past Vettel :D
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm

WOW!
That was definitely worth the wait! Button drove like a man possessed, how can a guy end up in the pits SIX times, drop to 21st halfway through the race and still win?
Yes, there was the safety car and Vettel's slip on the last lap but you can only play the cards you're dealt.
Nice to see Schumi finally wake from his slumber, and Hamilton? We all saw that coming...

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Other than that break in the middle, best grand prix i've seen in a long time. Totally getting back into watching F1 again recently and the action in the last few races has really helped things along.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Incredible drive by Button!

In almost 30 years of watching F1 I can't remember a race quite like that! Rain, safety cars, incidents, red flags and the eventual winner making 5 pit stops and 1 penalty to come from the back so many times and then pressure the race leader into making a mistake on the final lap! Absolutely stonking - it's what Murray Walker would have called a Barn-Stormer of a performance!
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Vettel cracked under pressure! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

norm7446

Post by norm7446 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:45 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Vettel cracked under pressure! :D
The guy is only Human after all. The guy I feel sorry for here it Hamilton. He wants to race. But think he wants it too much. Best race in a long long time. At least Hamilton will have some friend's out side the Steward office this race..
Rise from your Grave...

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Amazing race!!!!!! Senna would be proud of Button today! He closed down Vettel and took his chance and jumped at it! He had eventful day, but Jenson pulled it off! Great stuff! Vettel won't be that unhappy with 2nd place. He will still win this championship. Good show from Schumi! I have never been a Schumi fan, but today I was cheering him on! Plus he didn't have anyone off the track! I actually thought he could win it! Shame he missed the podium, but still he will be happy today. Webber had a pretty good race as well, yes he made a few mistakes, but still a third place was good.

Epic fail of the day - Lewis Hamilton! Again! Is it because I is black? No Lewis! It is because you're too rash and try to overtake everyone on the first lap!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Epic fail of the day - Lewis Hamilton! Again! Is it because I is black? No Lewis! It is because you're too rash and try to overtake everyone on the first lap!
Harsh in the extreme, imho. I tend to agree with Lotus reserve driver Karun Chandhok's appraisal of the incident: "Jenson was definitely moving over to the left to the racing line and I guess he just doesn't see Hamilton as he pulls out late. It is a hard one to call."
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Let's hope Hamilton wakes up and smells the coffee. I want to like the guy, but his arrogance and attitude make him seem more of a spoilt brat than a world champion.

Still, Vettel must be rattled. He hasn't had any real battles for a long time and I think he's out of practice. Having seen Button ace him on the last lap, all of the other drivers are going to pile on the pressure.

Quite how the regulation changes will affect things makes this all the more interesting!
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:37 pm

That was fantastic!

It was a real pain in the arse that the race started so late - meaning I had to get someone to cover me for an hour at work (was supposed to start at 7pm)..... I finally got to work at 10.15 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Button was just awesome. I am a very happy man. :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:20 am

It was a long 2 hour wait to finally get some racing action, but oh was it worth it.

Button was Superb, and I still can't figure out how he went from 21st on the Grid to 1st :?

I think I wasn't the only one who was up on my feet when cheering when Vettel got out of shape on the last lap, letting Button take 1st place and win the Canadian GP. I even woke the missus up who wasn't best pleased! :lol:

The race had everything: Overtaking, Crashes, Drama, Comedy and best of all some steward failing over twice on the track and nearly getting ran over by the drivers.

Brilliant race, and I can't wait until the end of the season when we hit Japan which is 99% certain of rain for another race like the Canadian one.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:15 am

Dear FIA, please can all tracks have a rain machine turned on at random intervals. First time for years I've been able to stand watching a whole grand prix.