Movies

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:07 am

Quite liked the Butterfly Effect, loved the Oasis song at the end as thats one of my favourites.

FINALLY watched the rest of Hot Fuzz the other night. To say i'm disappointed is putting it lightly ! I heard people raving about all over the place, thought it was 'okay' but the way people have spoken about it its like its the best british film the last 25 years.

I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead but i thought Hot Fuzz was pretty average, a few laughs but nothing major.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:48 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote: On another note, just saw the 30 Days of Night trailer. Looks awesome and very much like the graphic novel!!! :D
There's something that passed me by and yes it does look good, it's such a simple story as well, I'm suprised nobody thought of doing it years ago.
Splink!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:59 am

Sat down and watched Apocalypto today, well worth sitting down to watch.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:58 pm

Watched Hot Fuzz again today and it was even better the 2nd time around. All the people who thought it was a bit too long should watch it again as it didn't feel excessive at all.

Brilliant.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:43 pm

I watched Hot Fuzz friday night on DVD, and it's still a great film. There are lots and lots of hilarious jokes in there, it's just that they're not that obvious. Most of them are brief, visual gags such as the swear box with the price listing for each swear word! And don't get me started on the running gag with the swan! :D

Remember, f**k costs 50p and c**t costs £1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm going to watch Dungeons & Dragons 2 later. It was on Sc-Fi Channel this afternoon. I'll be watching it in hope that it is better than the original which was painfully bad!!!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:35 pm

pottyboy wrote:I watched Hot Fuzz friday night on DVD, and it's still a great film. There are lots and lots of hilarious jokes in there, it's just that they're not that obvious. Most of them are brief, visual gags such as the swear box with the price listing for each swear word! And don't get me started on the running gag with the swan! :D

Remember, f**k costs 50p and c**t costs £1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whats funnier with the swear box is they censor the work censored by writing it as F**K, but the C word is written in full.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:02 pm

Watched Oceans 13 today (aswell as Hostel 2 and Fantastic 4).
It was really good. Miles better than 12.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:20 pm

SirClive wrote:Watched Oceans 13 today (aswell as Hostel 2 and Fantastic 4).
It was really good. Miles better than 12.
DAMN!!! :x :x :x Is it really that good?!?! My mate offered me a chance to see it on thursday but I said no to it as 12 wasn't good at all!!!

I didn't get round to seeing D&D2 tonight. This is because my mum's ill and there was f**k all on telly tonight (unless you class that crappy talent contest, where no one has any talent whatsoever, as decent TV). Rather than sit in my bedroom watching D&D2 (I recorded it on my Sky+ box in my bedroom), I spent some time with her and dad and we watched Eragon on DVD (with DTS sound) instead...

...and yes, all 3 of us liked it :)

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Finally got round to watching D&D2 tonight! :)

And is it better than the original? Well, it's an improvement. The original was bad in practically anyway you can think of. Crap acting, crap story, crap plot, crap CGI dragons etc... you name it, they got it all wrong in the first film! D&D2 is better in most departments, though it is let down by the fact that there are only about 2 dungeons and 2 dragons throughout the entire movie! The only dragons you see are an ice-dragon (which our brave warriors fight against in a small 2 minute long battle sequence), and the colossal black dragon (who is colossal not only in size, but in sheer might and power too!). Unfortunately, the SFX have not really improved that much from the first film. However, when you consider that the original was released in cinemas and that this one was a straight to DVD/TV movie, the quality of the CGI in D&D2 is acceptable as films of this type have smaller budgets.

In a word... it's better, but the enjoyment factor is cut short by a long way because of the lack of actual dungeons and dragons in the film.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:22 am

I want to see D&D2 but I'm wary of your judgement - -you enjoyed Eragon, or Star Wars: Fantasy Edition as I've seen it called. Is Eragon 2 still on the cards? The first film doesn't really come to a satisfactory conclusion on its own being an obvious set up for more, but it was so bad I can't imagine anyone putting money behind it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:00 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Sat down and watched Apocalypto today, well worth sitting down to watch.
Is it not worth it standing up then?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:23 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Sat down and watched Apocalypto today, well worth sitting down to watch.
Is it not worth it standing up then?
I'm glad you're not a professional comedian...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:37 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I want to see D&D2 but I'm wary of your judgement - -you enjoyed Eragon, or Star Wars: Fantasy Edition as I've seen it called.
I have to agree that, although I enjoyed Eragon, it could have been so much better. The scenery, soundtrack and CGI are superb, but the writing is just terrible and the direction is amateurish in places. The cast really tried hard to put on some decent performances, but the acting suffers thanks to the rather awful dialogue that plagues the film. Normally I hate films with such bad writing, but there's something about Eragon that makes me enjoy it.

BTW I have listened to an unabridged CD of the book, and they are both VERY different!
Antiriad2097 wrote:Is Eragon 2 still on the cards? The first film doesn't really come to a satisfactory conclusion on its own being an obvious set up for more, but it was so bad I can't imagine anyone putting money behind it.
I think they may do a sequel. The book has one called Eldest (which I haven't listened to yet as I have an audio CD of that too), and there is a third book in the works. There are also, believe it or not, quite a few people who enjoyed the first film - even Christopher Paolini (author of Eragon and Eldest) liked it!

Anyway, you can't judge D&D2 simply because someone who talked about it liked a film you hated! We all like at least one film that is often slated by many!

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:32 am

I saw Oceans 13 with the missus the other night and it is definitely better than 12, which mostly bored the arse off me. It's lighter, funnier, cleverer and less smug

With 12, the whole 'Julia Roberts' thing (I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it; those that have will know what I'm talking about and will be feeling queasy at the memory) ruined it. Until that point I'd been mildly enjoying the film. After than scene the stuff before was ruined and I couldn't take any pleasure from the remainder of the film.

13 is closer to 11 and is exactly what it should be, an all-star popcorn movie with a few clever twists thrown in to keep you guessing. Well worth seeing.

I'd like to request that Steven Soderbergh does some proper original material now, please. Threequels are a BAD idea.
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:37 am

I watched Derailed the other day with Jennifer Aniston and Clive Owen. Surprised me a ton, wasnt keen on the film as Aniston was in it but it was an excellent thriller.

Cant say much about it as i dont want to ruin it but well worth seeing