The PSP2 - AKA "NGP"

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeFishcake

The PSP2 - AKA "NGP"

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:13 am

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/the-sony-psp2/

I particularly like the look of the screen :)

Lots of lovely things. Wonder what the price will be?

DPrinny

Re: The PSP2 - AKA "NGP"

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:21 am

The NGP bit makes me think of the Neo Geo Pocket.
And that makes me want to play Cardfighters

DAMN YOU SONY!

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:22 am

Looks awesome. But an OLED screen? That'll cost you! I predict £300 min.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:25 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Looks awesome. But an OLED screen? That'll cost you! I predict £300 min.
I wouldn't be surprised with that, so a launch purchase would be out of range for me. The double touchpad is an interesting idea though. Just imagine the looks you'd get, seemingly caressing the back of your console though :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 am

Well at least you aren't caressing your joystick in public.
Instead your caressing someones box

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:29 am

Backwards compatibility with downloaded titles only is a bitter pill to swallow for those of us with UMDs. :( There doesn't seem to be mention of whether region-locking is going to be in place, either (haven't watched the vids yet).

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:07 am

Looks:Gorgeous. Specs:gorgeous-Price? expecting a NIGHTMARE. And hey it's a Sony handheld so expecting:

Performance cap in early stages-to limit battery drain.Software support to dry up after inital wave whilst they promote it's multi-media abilities, annouce the slim n lite ver.It to be hacked very early on.Firmware updates, lots of firmware updates.Had a screen that'll scratch soon as you look at it etc.

Say this as owner of 3 PSP's.Sorry to sound cynical but it's same old Sony:Go balls out on technical specs, learn nothing from past failures.Hype the arse of the damn thing and leave those that bought system high and dry.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 am

Sure its a cut scene and at 20fps but goes to show rumors of 360 level power were true.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:05 am

How powerful do handheld gaming consoles need to be, though? This is obviously coming from my own personal preferences for how I use my PSP, but the sort of titles I play don't really need all that much horsepower. Just quick and fun games that can take up a train/bus journey.

Mobile gaming really shouldn't look to be just 'home consoles but shrunken down', IMO, and I think the PSP2 just about sidles up to where the line really does need to be drawn. Unless you want to hook it up to the telly!

sack

Post by sack » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:10 am

I think they might've struck a balance here - they seem to have something not entirely unlike an iPhone/iPad but with more traditional controllers to address the onscreen controller problems, and a bit more hardware grunt to make it last a few years.

If they sort out the game designs so you can dip in and out of games (which is where I think the DS nailed the PSP) and they can keep the price sensible then they might have something here.
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:18 am

thevulture wrote:It to be hacked very early on.
I hope this happens and if it does then I'll buy one.
The only thing I use my original PSP for is emulation, but the psp isn't quite fast enough to handle Amiga emulation properly. If this new psp2 can handle it then I'm sold already.

As far as using the console for it's intended purpose, I'm far from convinced. It seems too similar to the original psp and I really don't enjoy playing games on the one I have. I think Nintendo will win the handheld battle once again.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:29 am

pforson wrote:
thevulture wrote:It to be hacked very early on.
I hope this happens and if it does then I'll buy one.
The only thing I use my original PSP for is emulation, but the psp isn't quite fast enough to handle Amiga emulation properly. If this new psp2 can handle it then I'm sold already.
It might just be a case of the emulator needing optimisation. Look at the N64 emu for PSP, it barely ran anything at first but it's quite good now. Every one said the PSP wasn't powerful enough - but nowadays It even runs Banjo Kazzoie. Slowly and minus sound but it's still very impressive. Given time and regular updates the both the N64 and Amiga emu will run most stuff fast enough and with sound.

As for the PSP2 I'm totally sold.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:49 am

pforson wrote: I hope this happens and if it does then I'll buy one.
Dreamcast emulation should be achievable and I wonder if there will be official PS2 emulation as it would be powerful enough. The architecture of the PS2 might be difficult but with a commercial team behind it I'd think it would be possible.

c0nfu53d is right, iirc there wasn't anyone taking up the reigns of working on amiga emulation for some reason. Its powerful enough, just needs optimisation.

On PSP2 itself it'll be a long time until I buy one and only once it has decent homebrew support.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 am

:wink: All i'm waiting for is Sony to bandy about a few choice phrases like: 'PSP2 security is water tight, impossible to crack' and 'we've learnt a lot of lessons from PSP, as far as piracy is concerned, this is 1 area we've nailed down to the deck' etc and then sit back and wait for the 24 hrs or so for the 1st annoucements to come flooding in that PSP2 has been cracked (purely for homebrew...) etc etc.PS3 fared better than i expected, but...it's always a game of cat and mouse with ANY format.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 am

Sel Feena wrote:How powerful do handheld gaming consoles need to be, though? This is obviously coming from my own personal preferences for how I use my PSP, but the sort of titles I play don't really need all that much horsepower. Just quick and fun games that can take up a train/bus journey.

Mobile gaming really shouldn't look to be just 'home consoles but shrunken down', IMO, and I think the PSP2 just about sidles up to where the line really does need to be drawn. Unless you want to hook it up to the telly!
There's been speculation over the years by various software developers that the consoles of the future will indeed be portables that you can hook up to the TV when you get home.Witnessing the specs of the PSP2, planned specs for new iDevices etc (looking at 360 performance) planned for next year, starting to think that maybe in next 5-10 years, this really could happen.