eBay advice please

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: eBay advice please

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 am

I tend to buy BINs to avoid losing out, but I always look to see the postage first. I don't mind paying for people's time and possible transport costs (I live less than a minute's walk from a post office but most aren't that fortunate). As long as it seems fair to me, the delivery takes the given time (allowing for weather!), and the item was as described, I can't possibly complain.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:49 am

FatTrucker wrote:
What ebay should do is automatically add the p&p cost to the current bid total, so rather than showing 99p it shows up as £4.99 if the p&p is £4, if they did this I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it as its all above board.
That is such a simple solution I am baffled as to why they haven't already done it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks "I'll pay £10 for that at most" then bids £10 minus postage.

Anyway, onto the original post. He agreed to pay whatever was listed in the auction. It would be harsh for you to not offer a discount on postage, but its unreasonable to expect any discount at all.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 am

Last year when I did a fair bit of ebaying. I ended up spending hours and hours every evening, parceling stuff up, carting it all up to London on the train, so I could spend several lunch breaks standing in the Q at the post office. Half of those things sold for 99p. Once ebay had their 10%, paypal took 25p + their %. Rolls of parcel tape and packaging used. I came to conclusion...., is all this hassle really worth it and I am going to stop selling stuff on ebay.

What was once say 5 years ago, maybe the greatest jumble sale/Car boot in the world, Ebay has tried to turn itself into Lakeside shopping centre. Too many people don't read descriptions and will leave bad feedback or low star ratings, even if all parts of the transaction have been fulfilled. Everyone expects next day delivery, mint fresh items as if buying from a shop brand new. I got my first negative feedback in my 11 years over xmas for something pointless, had to open several non payment cases from people that lie and lie pushing the deadlines to the limit, so they get away with it. One person that failed to send me a Hogan toy (and his feedback gave plenty of negative examples of him not posting stuff, refusing to post as item sold at a low price, and dragging things out to deadline point to avoid refund buyers) to the point where I couldn't leave negative feedback. I contacted ebay services to complain saying I want to be able to leave neg feedback, and they just sent me a cut and pasted answer.

My other gripe is half the people on there seem unable to write or reply in correct english, its all text talk. I asked someone to send a MOC figure in a box so it does not get damaged. It turns up in a jiffy bag, all bent up. They shall be the receipent of my first Negative feedback and my signing off the bloody site.

Anyhow rant over, combined postage, I would normally weigh up what they have bought, get the price off royal mail website, try and factor in expected paypal fees, I reused jiffy bags/boxes etc so didn't charge for that. I won 5 TNA trading cards each had £1 postage on them, the seller did not offer combined postage, but I asked, he sent the lot for £1 and threw in 5 free cards too.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Ive got lots of parcels to send today and I will find out how much the postage is and factor that in next time - will be interesting to see how much the 19 C64 games to Norway will cost!
I sent 19 Vic20 games to Norway recently, though a few of them were in larger boxes than single plastic cassette tape cases... came to about 35 quid if I remember with insurance. So be prepared heh... although I was protecting these up to the nines because some were quite rare and valuable.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 am

Mayhem wrote:I sent 19 Vic20 games to Norway recently, though a few of them were in larger boxes than single plastic cassette tape cases... came to about 35 quid if I remember with insurance. So be prepared heh...
Yeh dreading posting that!

So, silly question but do I have to leave feedback for each of the 19 items? When I click the tick box next to the buyer it colours them grey but there isn't an option for feedback - when I untick I can click the feedback against each item?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm

It's up to you. Feedback against one should be done if the transaction completes fine. However now all transactions, whether with the same person or different ones, all count (it used to be you could only get one positive from the other party no matter how many times they interacted with you) then you may consider doing all 19.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:33 pm

bensonrad wrote:Last year when I did a fair bit of ebaying.

...........*rant*............

They shall be the receipent of my first Negative feedback and my signing off the bloody site.
I can completly sympathise with you, ebay can be a horrid place and I've experienced most of your gripes myself. Even if ebay goes flawlessly you can almost bet on Royal Mail phucking things right up. they are worse than ebay and paypal combined. For example I am still waiting for my PSP game sent to me via one of retrogamer's members. It was posted Saturday morning 1st class. It's a joke - this wouldn't happen in France or Japan or most other countries.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:52 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
Mayhem wrote:I sent 19 Vic20 games to Norway recently, though a few of them were in larger boxes than single plastic cassette tape cases... came to about 35 quid if I remember with insurance. So be prepared heh...
Yeh dreading posting that!
So, just incase anyone thought my postage fees were wrong, here is a breakdown of the 19 games I sent to Norway:

£23.66 - Sale Amount
£21.34 - My Postage charge

£1.90 - eBay Insertion Fee
£2.38 - eBay Final Value Fee
£1.96 - Paypal Fee
£36.99 - Postage Cost

NET = £1.77 profit (excluding my time, postage materials and petrol for the 10 min drive to post office)

F*cked off to say the least!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:41 am

Yikes, you'll know to check beforehand next time!
£1.96 - Paypal Fee
I know you haven't specifically stated this but... these fees have nothing to do with postage and packing cost to be charged to the customer.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:00 am

RetroBob wrote:Yikes, you'll know to check beforehand next time!
£1.96 - Paypal Fee
I know you haven't specifically stated this but... these fees have nothing to do with postage and packing cost to be charged to the customer.
I know - just making the point that I charged far too little for postage and therefore the money I received for the sale (after fees) funded his postage!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 am

UPDATE: The buyer has offered to pay me an additional £15 to cover the postage.

Obviously, im not going to take him up cos a deal is a deal - but its nice to know there are some geniune people out there in eBay land :D

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:56 am

That's mighty fine of him to offer - like you said, the fact that he offered would be good enough for me. Good on you both I say!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:46 pm

You know you can always check postage rates on RM's website. You'd need scales or an educated guess though.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 pm

the other thing is there is a weight limit for certain postage fees - and the only thing that can be sent in the same service is books (presumably because they are deemed heavy, but low cost items), so you have to go to the more expensive postage option (e.g. courier/parcel delivery), which is obviously a lot more than the normal "small packages" that you might pay on RM.
that's what happened to me when a guy bought a load of sealed pc games from me. i was staggered how much difference there was in uk postage to overseas because it was over the weight :(

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
RetroBob wrote:Yikes, you'll know to check beforehand next time!
£1.96 - Paypal Fee
I know - just making the point that I charged far too little for postage and therefore the money I received for the sale (after fees) funded his postage!
Not sure why you even did this in the first place. Postage is not set in stone and it even mentions in the ebay rules that you can change this later and I don't suspect he would have complained if you asked for more to post the item. Yes it's a good turn but a bit silly.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius