eBay advice please

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

c0nfu53d

Re: eBay advice please

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:32 am

They let me charge up to a certain amount and I didn't exceed that so im well within policy
Your kinda missing the point. ebay allows you to charge up to a certain amount because some items cost more to send - that doesn't mean you can charge stupid amounts for postage when it only costs you a small amount to send. Think about it. What if ebay limits postage to a max of £4 and you selling 20 snes games - it's gonna cost more to post than £4 so you allowed to charge a fair amount for postage. Charging too much is known as "daylight robbery" and is taking the pi$$ and I believe it's also something you can be reported to ebay for.

That said, it's generaly ok if you state in your listing that you don't combine postage on any items.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:58 am

I think a little give and take is needed on both parties involved in a situation like this.

Yes he shouldnt have bidded if he didnt like the postage cost. However its not going to cost £11 to send 8 tapes ( I posted 5 PSP games to Helensification last week for £3.50 1st class recorded )

Im sure you can come to some sort of agreement without it escalating unnecessarily.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:16 am

While you can happily charge £2 P&P per item and post them seperately, just about all sellers offer a combined postage discount. If you're doing combined postage then find out what the cost is and bang £2 on top of that to cover postage materials if you need to buy stuff to send them in.

TBH 8 cassette games (small box) aren't going to cost anywhere close to £11 to post and you'll still make money from a £6 charge. I won 2 hardback books from PSJ on ebay recently (bigger and heavier than 8 C64 games) and the combined postage for them was just over £3.

Speaking personally I tend not to make repeat purchases when someone uses postage to bump up profit on ebay.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:21 pm

I'd never ship tapes in a jiffy anyhow, far too easily damaged that way... box only.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:51 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Speaking personally I tend not to make repeat purchases when someone uses postage to bump up profit on ebay.
That has been really p*ssing me off lately, people charging £2 to send a Cube game and then sending it 2nd class for 81p, ain't half annoying.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

dste wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:Speaking personally I tend not to make repeat purchases when someone uses postage to bump up profit on ebay.
That has been really p*ssing me off lately, people charging £2 to send a Cube game and then sending it 2nd class for 81p, ain't half annoying.
Many people factor in jiffy bags, as not all towns have a pound land. ;)

Nearest to me is 10 miles away!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm

I know you are only joking and I could live with that if stuff didn't arrive in reused envelopes and at one stage just one piece of A4 paper wrapped around the box.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:02 pm

I think £2 isn't too unreasonable as a standard charge though. Its fairly minimal and factoring in packaging material etc its probably not making them more than a few pence overall and a lot of sellers seem to adopt a standard post charge for general items rather than go to the post office and get specific costs for everything they sell.

Its the ebay sales that blatantly overcharge on postage to bump up the item price avoiding ebay fee's. Though its fair to say that buyers should also check postage prices and conditions before bidding, if I want to bid on more than one item from a seller I always ask if they discount the postal charge when sending multiple items. If an item has post charges more than a pound or two over the actual postal charge then I won't bid on general principal. If someone charged me seperate postage for multiple items then posted them all together I would raise a dispute with ebay and leave neg feedback.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Sheesh, if you don't like the postage costs then DON'T BID. The thing with eBay, there's so much choice out there, there's really no need to grab the first thing that comes along - there will always be another identical item in a few days/weeks/months.

Fed up of people moaning about eBay postage costs - the inability to add up the postage to the final bid and make a judgement baffles me.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

gi joe

Post by gi joe » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Shinobi wrote:I'Besides you only get Negative feedback that you robbed them blind on postage
Why should I get neg feedback - I wasn't "robbing" anyone. My postage rates are clear for all to see, if its too much then people shouldn't bid.
Because that's how people work on e-bay these days. They'll receive the goods, see the £2.33 p&p on the package (that's an example, not saying that's how much yours is), see they actually paid £11 and will then assume that you're attempting to make a profit via inflated p&p and attempting to cover your ebay and paypal fees by using inflated p&p. Again, not saying you are but this is what people use to do and this is what they'll claim you did.

Then they'll be an arse and give negative feedback.

I'm lucky and in 59 sales and purchase have no negative. I've just run into some though that has clearly inflated their p&p to cover their ebay costs and fees. You could say I shouldn't of bid, but as far as I was aware, maybe it would of cost that £6.99, but it didn't. It only cost them £2.50. Lets say £3.00 for packaging. We've both just decided to unofficially (as in didn't discuss it) leave no feedback for each other.

You do get some picky people on ebay. I was buying some Garbage Pal Kids cards a few years back and sold some I had as doubles. Guy purchased some and I sent them out as MINT. They were MINT. He then e-mailed back complaining one of them wasn't MINT and had a crease down the front. What he seemed to fail to realise is the back was MINT, the sticker wasn't. Because it was made like this at the factory. I luckily had another that didn't have the crease so sent it out to him at my expense. He gave good feedback but said the listing was exactly accurate. As far as I'm concerned it was, as that crease was created in the factory. It was a MINT crease :)

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:23 pm

FatTrucker wrote:I think £2 isn't too unreasonable as a standard charge though. Its fairly minimal and factoring in packaging material etc its probably not making them more than a few pence overall and a lot of sellers seem to adopt a standard post charge for general items rather than go to the post office and get specific costs for everything they sell.
That's what I'm saying though, they are not actually buying packaging materials as they are reusing envelopes so they are sending it for 81p and then adding £1.19 for what exactly, to cover the fees which if they don't want to pay the fees they shouldn't sell it on E-bay.

clarance wrote:Sheesh, if you don't like the postage costs then DON'T BID. The thing with eBay, there's so much choice out there, there's really no need to grab the first thing that comes along - there will always be another identical item in a few days/weeks/months.

Fed up of people moaning about eBay postage costs - the inability to add up the postage to the final bid and make a judgement baffles me.
I do take into account the postage costs and bid accordingly but some of the stuff I'm after is at the rarer end of the Cube spectrum and very rarely come up on auctions instead of ridiculously priced BINS's, so unfortunately I pretty much have to pay the £2 if I find the games at a decent price. Your ability to make a judgement on someones buying habits without knowing anything about them baffles me.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:31 pm

dste wrote:
I do take into account the postage costs and bid accordingly but some of the stuff I'm after is at the rarer end of the Cube spectrum and very rarely come up on auctions instead of ridiculously priced BINS's, so unfortunately I pretty much have to pay the £2 if I find the games at a decent price. Your ability to make a judgement on someones buying habits baffles me.

If you're willing to pay the extra £2 then it's not a ridiculous price - sometimes people on here seem to forget that sellers are mostly trying to turn a profit, they are not selling games for your benefit. Your collection is not a charity. Sometimes, if you want something badly enough you just have to pay the asking price or shut up.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Yes most sellers are trying to make a profit but like I said earlier if they they choose to sell on a site where they know they have to pay fees then they should pay it themselves or sell elsewhere, not whack the postage up for the buyer to pay their fees.

When I sell I post for the exact p+p and pay my own fees no matter what the item sells for.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:40 pm

dste wrote:Yes most sellers are trying to make a profit but like I said earlier if they they choose to sell on a site where they know they have to pay fees then they should pay it themselves or sell elsewhere, not whack the postage up for the buyer to pay their fees.

When I sell I post for the exact p+p and pay my own fees no matter what the item sells for.
I agree, in any other auction environment the seller doesn't add the auction houses percentage onto the final selling price. Its not specifically dishonest as all the charges are posted in black and white, but it is a sh*tty practice to shunt the fees for your auction, advertisment and sale onto the buyer. If buyers were meant to pay the fees then ebay would charge them to the buyers and not the sellers.

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Don't understand this argument either - why pay fees if you don't need to.

What's the difference between an item selling for 99p with £4 postage and an item selling for £4.99 with free postage. For the buyer, none at all - for the seller, a few extra pence in the pocket - eBay still gets it's cut, just not so much...