HMV to close 60 stores

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sir Hilary Bray

Re: HMV to close 60 stores

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:Good ridance if they do go bust.
That sort of comment p*sses me off big time - I agree that HMV are a f*cking rip off but the vast majority of the staff who will loose their jobs will have no influence on the pricing strategy.

Lets hope whoever you work for doesn't struggle eh?
Woh, steady on mate, do you really think I want that to happen? course not, it's just me being a
grumpy sod as usual.

Sorry if my post mislead you mate, I'm not really that selfish, I would not want to see anyone suffer a job loss, my anger
was more aimed at the big cats at the top, who have been ripping people off.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:22 pm

sorry for cliche remark-
i don't think they where ripping people off intentionally either.If you look at likes of amazon,they have massive warehouse.I assume they don't have to worry much about wages/chavs in robbing so no need for much security/rental or they make so much its the cost of running the business is minuscule to them.And they can pass on the cuts to the customers fairly quickly.To give hmv credit they did try stay above water with royalty cards etc.But people are switching to downloading/online purchases..
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:Good ridance if they do go bust.
That sort of comment p*sses me off big time - I agree that HMV are a f*cking rip off but the vast majority of the staff who will loose their jobs will have no influence on the pricing strategy.

Lets hope whoever you work for doesn't struggle eh?
Woh, steady on mate, do you really think I want that to happen? course not, it's just me being a
grumpy sod as usual.

Sorry if my post mislead you mate, I'm not really that selfish, I would not want to see anyone suffer a job loss, my anger
was more aimed at the big cats at the top, who have been ripping people off.
No probs buddy - thats just how I read it at the time - I work in retail for everyone's favourite electrical retailer ( :lol: :wink: ) and so I feel the risk of job loss quite often!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 am

DPrinny wrote:To the haters.

Closed HMV = Pound shop

Lets face it though. Most town centres these days are dismal places as they all have the same shops
Yeah, we don't need any more pound shops. A big name clothes store shut down in the shopping centre by me to be replaced by a dodgy junk shop that sold everything and anything but ONLY took cash. Unsurprisingly, they're closing down already...sounds fishy.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:23 am

Does anybody know what the 60 Stores are which are closing? All I can find whilst googling was that there only closing City Centre stores and that Waterstones is allegedly going to be carrying much reduced stock so HMV can claw back profits on DVD's
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:35 am

James A wrote: I remember when MVC in Chester closed down, The closing down sale was insane. All the Cds and DVDs were about £2. I must have bought half the metal section, most of the anime DVDs and a fair chunk of the forgein film section. I had to phone my friend up to give me a hand to get it all home and he ended up buying a load of stuff :D It was weird though that even with that sort of sale on they hardly discounted the games. Was gutted though that when Woolworths went bust i was unemployed and had no cash. A few of my friends had alot of goood stuff cheap out of there.
I used to go to that MVC, it was terribly overpriced. Remember buying Evangelion boxset for £100 :oops: Missed the closing down sale.

Remember going to the HMV in chester and spending daft amounts on punk albums from there, £14-16 a pop, before we got internet and I didn't look back. It got cheaper, but not by a vast amount.

The HMV in Sheffield seems to have always been very busy. Occasionally get DVD boxsets and CDs on offer but I never buy anything full price.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 am

Yeah, we don't need any more pound shops. A big name clothes store shut down in the shopping centre by me to be replaced by a dodgy junk shop that sold everything and anything but ONLY took cash. Unsurprisingly, they're closing down already...sounds fishy.
MMM Its the some thing up were I live how strange lol
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:13 am

That MVC in Chester was pretty bad. I saw an Album by an admittedly little known punk band called "snuff" in there for £26 with an "Import" sticker on it. I had always assumed bands based in London didn't ship their CD's abroad and then back to the UK again before selling them :D

I think I bought it a week later for £4 from an Indie shop in Manchester.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:38 am

Shinobi wrote:Does anybody know what the 60 Stores are which are closing? All I can find whilst googling was that there only closing City Centre stores and that Waterstones is allegedly going to be carrying much reduced stock so HMV can claw back profits on DVD's
Doesn't look that they have announced them yet.

All that has been said was from the trading statement which was: 'We are taking aggressive action as we continue to tightly manage our cost base. We expect to exit around 60 stores across our UK businesses over the next 12 months as we seek to re-shape our store portfolio. In addition, we have identified a further £10m per annum of cost savings from across the Group.'
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:03 am

I think the one near me should be all right. It isn't the busiest of places by any stretch of the imagination, but there isn't another HMV within a twenty-five mile radius. Hope the one nearest me stays open - some right good baragins that I don't seem to see in any other branch.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 am

Edwards80 wrote:That MVC in Chester was pretty bad. I saw an Album by an admittedly little known punk band called "snuff" in there for £26 with an "Import" sticker on it. I had always assumed bands based in London didn't ship their CD's abroad and then back to the UK again before selling them :D

I think I bought it a week later for £4 from an Indie shop in Manchester.
It was probably one of their Fat Wreck releases, so imported from the US. Which album was it out of interest? LOL price though, but punk albums were always way expensive in high street chains when I was more into it (2000-2005) then as soon as I got my own card and started shopping online the prices fell! Funny that.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 pm

You can tell Waterstone's is part of the HMV family, it's also hard to find a bargain.
And the one in Wrexham has a bowed floor, not relevant but weird!
And The Works is just down the road selling the same books for far less!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:43 pm

rocky1980 wrote:
MMM Its the some thing up were I live how strange lol
Tbh, I reckon it was some sort of illegal operation or something...a way to get hard cash quickly. Got to be suspicious of any store who does cash only, especially inside a busy shopping centre.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:13 am

dont forget hmv/waterstones recently bought ottakars meaning a lot of doubling up of waterstones stores on a few high streets, chelmsford included. I reckon a few of these will go.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:08 am

Having worked in a pound shop briefly, the obsession with clearing everything to try and flog, no matter what kind of state it's in, was the thing I found weird. Broken? Incomplete? Past its use by date? Already opened? Leaking? Written on? GET A 50P STICKER ON IT AND SELL, SELL, SELL!!!