HMV to close 60 stores

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

do_sucol

Re: HMV to close 60 stores

Post by do_sucol » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 pm

nakamura wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:Never got their pricing - you can find bargains but never in the games section.
Apart from me finding a mint Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 2 on PS2 for £2, this is very true. No more so than with its second hand games. EA games go for £39.99 new and they sell them at £37.99 second hand. If you factor in that EA games need an online pass at a cost of about £10 to play online, it then costs more to buy used.
:lol:
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:27 am

rocky1980 wrote:
Look on the bright side: closing down sale :D
Very much doubt that all the stock will be sent to other stores
I remember when MVC in Chester closed down, The closing down sale was insane. All the Cds and DVDs were about £2. I must have bought half the metal section, most of the anime DVDs and a fair chunk of the forgein film section. I had to phone my friend up to give me a hand to get it all home and he ended up buying a load of stuff :D It was weird though that even with that sort of sale on they hardly discounted the games. Was gutted though that when Woolworths went bust i was unemployed and had no cash. A few of my friends had alot of goood stuff cheap out of there.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:36 am

djcarlos wrote:
bensonrad wrote:As a teenager during the 90's I used to regularly shop in the Brighton branch, for the first time in ages we went to Brighton on Monday. I walked past HMV and could not believe how run down it looked, all the decor, shelves and layout were the same as the 90's, just now shabby, dull and run down. I also thought it was odd that it was the only shop without big sale signs or xmas decor. Maybe there saving the sale for the branch closing!

Meanwhile a few doors along, they now have CEX, Game, Gamestation and a new place called Replay, all selling games, CDs, DVDs new and second hand.

I had a little thought then, HMVs days must surely be numbered in Brighton.

There is a bigger, newer store in the shopping centre down the road from the high street branch.....can't see that being one of the doomed sixty to be honest, it's always packed. The Western Road one (the one by CEX and Game) will probably be gone soon though.
Doh! can't believe I forgot about that store, I even walked past that one the same day, hehe, that one was actually quite busy. Western Road one defo is going to bite the dust though I reckon.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:51 am

bensonrad wrote:
djcarlos wrote:
bensonrad wrote:As a teenager during the 90's I used to regularly shop in the Brighton branch, for the first time in ages we went to Brighton on Monday. I walked past HMV and could not believe how run down it looked, all the decor, shelves and layout were the same as the 90's, just now shabby, dull and run down. I also thought it was odd that it was the only shop without big sale signs or xmas decor. Maybe there saving the sale for the branch closing!

Meanwhile a few doors along, they now have CEX, Game, Gamestation and a new place called Replay, all selling games, CDs, DVDs new and second hand.

I had a little thought then, HMVs days must surely be numbered in Brighton.

There is a bigger, newer store in the shopping centre down the road from the high street branch.....can't see that being one of the doomed sixty to be honest, it's always packed. The Western Road one (the one by CEX and Game) will probably be gone soon though.
Doh! can't believe I forgot about that store, I even walked past that one the same day, hehe, that one was actually quite busy. Western Road one defo is going to bite the dust though I reckon.
On the plus side, apparently they are opening the "biggest pound shop in the South East" in Newhaven soon, next to the new super-Lidl they are building!

Should be able to get some quality shizzle in them there stores.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:11 am

There are two HMV's in Liverpool city centre. There is a big newish one with a GIGANTIC and awesome picture of the Beatles outside. Strangely though, the smaller one up the road always seems to have the CDs I want, whereas the big one doesn't.

I only use it to buy CD's really. I don't buy DVDs and I don't usually look in the games sections. There are good bargains to be had, especially in their 2 for £10. Plus i like to go during my dinner time for a brose, and maybe buy an album if I'm feeling cheeky.

I've never bought an album from a supermarket though.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Neither have I. Then again, I hardly ever buy albums at all.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:13 pm

I popped into the newly opened HMV in Kidderminster town centre today, they may as well have had a sign outside that said "Only come in here if your Saturday nights consist of watching toss like X Factor"... there was no music section to speak of just commercial chart shyte, and a rock/pop shelf about 4' high by 6' wide containing a complete mess with no organisation system whatsoever.... but shedloads of DVDs... there were probably more DVDs in the store than CDs... I remember when HMV did used to be a music store...

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm

As a retail manager - I dont like to see other businesses in trouble - BUT - HMV's business model looks from the outside to be decidedly suspect, I used to shop there regularly and it was always packed with both customers and stock, nowadays you can have an aisle to yourself. Not enough people seem to be going through their doors.
Why?- there stock is too pricey and the stores are rapidly losing their identity as they dont seem to have any idea about what they want to be anymore.

As has been previously mentioned - I would not give a squirt of censored for WH Smith or BHS surviving in the long term, Smiths in particular seem to be suffering from the same footflow problems as HMV.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:Good ridance if they do go bust.
That sort of comment p*sses me off big time - I agree that HMV are a f*cking rip off but the vast majority of the staff who will loose their jobs will have no influence on the pricing strategy.

Lets hope whoever you work for doesn't struggle eh?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:Good ridance if they do go bust.
That sort of comment p*sses me off big time - I agree that HMV are a f*cking rip off but the vast majority of the staff who will loose their jobs will have no influence on the pricing strategy.

Lets hope whoever you work for doesn't struggle eh?
I agree. Id prefer to see HMV on my High Street than a) An empty unit, or b) it being used as one of those tacky shops that sell crap from it for 2 months then close down.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Me too.
I actually quite like going into HMV... some of the prices are sky high, but i like the two for a tenner deals.
and the staff in mine are always friendly and helpful.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:04 pm

To the haters.

Closed HMV = Pound shop

Lets face it though. Most town centres these days are dismal places as they all have the same shops

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:23 am

I would care if WH Smith closed actually cos that's where I buy the mag - nowhere else in Wrexham stocks it!

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:57 am

Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:18 am

Good article. I love shopping for albums. I'm addicted to it, way more than computer games.

I hope HMV stays. Although they were amongst the big chains that helped end a lot of small independent record shops.

BUT...saying that, HMV et al undercut prices from independent stores just as online stores are now under-cutting the likes of HMV.
Last edited by greenberet79 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."