HMV to close 60 stores

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

delbert_trout

Re: HMV to close 60 stores

Post by delbert_trout » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:37 pm

jdanddiet wrote:My dad buys stuff on line now, i think that's part of the problem, the older generation have embraced internet shopping. Also the supermarkets are a major factor.
Mine too since I showed him Amazon a few years back. He has a good few whiskeys, goes on there p*ssed at 2 in the morning, and then doesn't remember ordering all the goodies that turn up. It's like Christmas :lol:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:52 pm

delbert_trout wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:My dad buys stuff on line now, i think that's part of the problem, the older generation have embraced internet shopping. Also the supermarkets are a major factor.
Mine too since I showed him Amazon a few years back. He has a good few whiskeys, goes on there p*ssed at 2 in the morning, and then doesn't remember ordering all the goodies that turn up. It's like Christmas :lol:
:lol: :lol: If I did that, I'd be skint in roughly 15 minutes, maybe earlier.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 pm

HMV is only any good if you listen to commercial pap anyway, although it has to be said that the HMV in Wolves has a semi decent metal section

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:05 am

Remember MVC - the ultimate rip off merchants? Even if you had a member's card it was still way more expensive than anywhere else. A lesson to be learnt - if you want to survive, don't fleece your customers.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:23 am

Most HMVs nowadays seem to have really downgraded their music sections. Nearly three quarters of the stores are taken over by the DVDs/ Blu ray sections. Even the game section is bigger than the music section now, usually. Although the Oxford street store still has a massive music section. I only really buy DVDs from them nowadays.

I don't remember MVC. I do remember Zavvi, though. Ironically a lot of the stores(after getting bought out and turned into Virgin megastores) closed down as well.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:00 am

Whem MVC first opened it wasn't that bad and you could pick up some right bargains but by the end it was a complete shambles and everything was so over-priced it was actually really ridiculous.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:08 am

I used to love knocking around the metal section in HMV in the late 80s in Swansea. Thered be gatherings of like 20 30 people hanging around outside, just going in and out buying Maiden stuff. Anyway the one in my town now is WAAY pricey and as others have said, they only sell chart stuff. (The one I visit but not often.) To be honest I prefer trudging around the shops but cant ignore the differences in prices online.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:10 am

Yes, when everyone else was selling GameCube games ridiculously cheaply to try and get rid of them (Dixons especially), MVC were charging more than the RRP!
Mmm, should I get a new copy of Rocky for 7.99 or 45 quid? Tricky...

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:21 am

Totally agree with regards to the swansea one during the 80s. You would have groups and groups of metalheads loitering outside, sitting opposite and smoking. 2 tills at both entrances, decent selection of teeshirts. The rehoused hmv of the early 00s always seemed souless and aimed at the dance mob. I went to hmv in the bridgend retail outlet thinking id get a last min xmas gift.... What a let down, its all the stock that they bought from the closed zavvi stores massivly overpriced boxset dvds. If you ever hear that hmv is " now at your local retail outlet alongside jjb sports et' al...dont bother with it.

Sad that jobs will be going though obviously, maybe this digital age has the same effect that the supermarkets had over the local shops and butchers.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:09 am

bensonrad wrote:As a teenager during the 90's I used to regularly shop in the Brighton branch, for the first time in ages we went to Brighton on Monday. I walked past HMV and could not believe how run down it looked, all the decor, shelves and layout were the same as the 90's, just now shabby, dull and run down. I also thought it was odd that it was the only shop without big sale signs or xmas decor. Maybe there saving the sale for the branch closing!

Meanwhile a few doors along, they now have CEX, Game, Gamestation and a new place called Replay, all selling games, CDs, DVDs new and second hand.

I had a little thought then, HMVs days must surely be numbered in Brighton.

There is a bigger, newer store in the shopping centre down the road from the high street branch.....can't see that being one of the doomed sixty to be honest, it's always packed. The Western Road one (the one by CEX and Game) will probably be gone soon though.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Never got their pricing - you can find bargains but never in the games section.
Apart from me finding a mint Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 2 on PS2 for £2, this is very true. No more so than with its second hand games. EA games go for £39.99 new and they sell them at £37.99 second hand. If you factor in that EA games need an online pass at a cost of about £10 to play online, it then costs more to buy used.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:18 pm

I can recall picking-up an Amplifier album in one of the Manchster HMVs a few years ago and the guy behind the till said "Local band. Sweet" (or words to that effect).

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Must admit, you get some excellent deals on the HMV website.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Look on the bright side: closing down sale :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Look on the bright side: closing down sale :D
Very much doubt that all the stock will be sent to other stores
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image