HMV to close 60 stores

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gi joe

Re: HMV to close 60 stores

Post by gi joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:14 pm

I think they have seen sense because MVC went bust and Music Zone brought up some if not all their stores. A year later Music Zone went bust.

I went into my local HMV today on the off chance they had a Gamecube or Gamecube games. They didn't but notice everything was over priced in the games section. PC games hitting the £40 mark. I just kept shaking my head all the way round, wondering how they think they can compete with the likes of Play. The Sims 3 in HMW was about £40-44, Play.com £29.99 free p&p and you don't have to be home to sign for. Will be really difficult to compete with that. But not everyone likes to order online. But they seriously need to look at their prices and accept a smaller profit margin. That was Apples big problem in the 90s, their business required them or they wanted a BIG profit margin on their censored products, hence they were overpriced (and still are in my eyes).

They'd probably keep going if they went online only like Zavvi appears to have done.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:18 pm

those big stores no doubt cost a high price to rent

play have a big f-off warehouse on a tax haven. no contest really.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:47 am

The big stores may overcharge but its no way near as bad as the PSN store charging £48 for Mass Effect 2.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:33 am

Prices are generally determined by the cost price which fluctuates and unless a deal is struck with the suppliers the items revert to either the RRP or the set profit margins.

Plus the items are on sale or return so they are not owned by HMV as such (unlike zavvi and woolies)
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:13 am

I couldn't care less about HMV's cost prices etc. The way I see it if a Blu Ray is £10 on Play.com then I'll pay £13 in a shop.

So when a £10 Blu Ray is being priced at £20, I chuckle in disbelief and leave without paying.

HMV are the worst offenders for overpricing imo, these days if I'm out and want something I'll buy it in Tesco's :shock:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:32 am

^ Pretty much agree. If I'm out and about, then I'll pop my head in and have a look round, but I'm using the interwebs more and more for my gaming needs, alongside any anime stuff I want.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 am

Rayne wrote:I couldn't care less about HMV's cost prices etc. The way I see it if a Blu Ray is £10 on Play.com then I'll pay £13 in a shop.

So when a £10 Blu Ray is being priced at £20, I chuckle in disbelief and leave without paying.

HMV are the worst offenders for overpricing imo, these days if I'm out and want something I'll buy it in Tesco's :shock:
I completely agree too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:44 pm

I couldn't care less about HMV's cost prices etc. The way I see it if a Blu Ray is £10 on Play.com then I'll pay £13 in a shop.

Spot on, even the HMV web site is better priced than the shop, I have asked and no they will not price match to their own web site...
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 am

Well it's been confirmed, Western Road Brighton branch is for the chop.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:13 am

Which thread did DPrinny post that pic of the new Mega Drive in HMV for £15? Went to have a look yesterday - £29.99! And his wasn't even a sale price (you could tell by the sticker).

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:59 am

The one in our town went on Monday. No big loss really, it was one of the smallest HMV stores ive seen and sold only chart stuff.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Just poped "down the town" today and yes HMV had closed down, shame it only opened in November and Dunfermline really does not have anything like HMV
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:04 pm

greenberet79 wrote:I hope HMV stays. Although they were amongst the big chains that helped end a lot of small independent record shops.

BUT...saying that, HMV et al undercut prices from independent stores just as online stores are now under-cutting the likes of HMV.
You know HMV play a bigger part in supporting independent music than any of the indie stores? If the indie stores buy in a load of stock and it doesn't sell, they send it back and get their money back. HMV buy the stock outright, and whether it sells or not the indie labels get to keep HMV's money.

So, just saying...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:34 pm

One of the two HMVs in Plymouth closed a couple of days ago according to the sign in the window. I'm not surprised to be honest, it seemed totally pointless to have two stores within a few hundred meters of each other. I think the only reason they had the bigger store in the shopping centre was because of the buy out of all the ex Virgins.

James A

Post by James A » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:23 am

One in Bedfords gone according to the Girlfriend.