Setting up a PSP to run emulation

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeFishcake

Setting up a PSP to run emulation

Post by MikeFishcake » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:44 pm

OK, after The_Hawk kindly lent me his PSP to have a play around with, I now have one of my own.

However, I believe I'm going to need some sort of custom firmware to get it working with emulators and that.

After chewy pointed me in the direction of ChickHEN, I had a look at that (although I really had to dig around to get it to work, and finally found a method on the PSPHacks forum that worked for me). However, what I didn't know until after a bit more digging around is that ChickHEN is a temporary patch that sits in memory, which is therefore lost when the unit is powered down. Ideally I'd like a permanent solution so I didn't have to keep running the ChickHEN trick every time I powered the unit on.

After googling around a bit, I found out that some PSPs are easier to mod than others, and certain motherboards aren't moddable at all. I've checked out my motherboard model number and it appears to be a TA-088 v3 (which seems to be one of the supposedly un-crackable boards).
pspident_000.png
pspident_000.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Am I stuck with ChickHEN, or is there a way around it? I'm not bothered about playing PS1 or "backups" of PSP games; I just wanna play with emulation :)

Footnote: I say that ChickHEN works, but I'm not having any luck loading some Emulators. Ones I've tried are:

SMSPlusPSP 1.3.1 - Application loads, but when I select any ROM file, the PSP freezes and shuts down.
SNES9X Euphoria R4 - Freeze and shutdown
NesterJ 1.12Plus 0.61 RM - Seems to work
PSPHUGO-v1.3.1-fw5X - Seems to work
Unofficial PicoDrive v1.35b - Seems to work

speedlolita

Re: Setting up a PSP to run emulation

Post by speedlolita » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Sounds like you have a PSP3000. If so, yes you have to use that.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:35 pm

It's definitely a 2000 series PSP.

(Managed to get other Master System and SNES emus working, so I'm reasonably happy for the moment anyway ;))

chewy

Post by chewy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:57 am

I got ChickHEN running first, then flashed the firmware... This may be able to help
http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2009/08/ ... 2000-3000/