Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Frank Chickens

Re: Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights.

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:14 am

After a while it will be "Oh Frankie's being controversial again" with a shrug of the shoulders while Boyle
tries harder and harder in order to get people to notice him.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:11 pm

felgekarp wrote:I've only seen him on the odd bit of Mock The Week so I can't really comment on his comedic talents as I've not seen much of it, I am enjoying reading his Rex Royd comic in Clint though, however I'm not entirely sure how much input he has towards it.
"Comedic talents".

If comedic talent is saying controversial things just because and stating things are either gay or have aids then yes, he has lots of comedic talent.

To me though, he's an old dog. No new tricks for years, totally gone off the guy. He used to be alright but he's lost the funny / controversial balance he had.

His show isn't watchable to me really, earlier Mock the Week was good though. Shame!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Anybody can say something controversial.
The difference between one person saying it and Frankie Boyle saying it is his "comedic talents".

The show is still very hit or miss though (the sketches obviously) but his stand up is still good.
I wouldn't buy a front row ticket though! :D

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Not a fan of Frankie Boyle... always seems more s**t than wit to me. He can be funny, but he is very hit and miss in my opinion.

Also his "racist" joke about newsreaders putting more importance on British dead first was satirized better nearly 40 years ago by Monty Python with their 'News for Parrots'... thankfully no parrots were involved.

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Never been a fan of Frankie Boyle. Listened to a bit of this show when on the PC and the TV was on, but did not find any of it funny and not really my kind of Comedy.

Just wondering what's happening to C4 comedy lately.... Also caught a bit of The Morgana Show and I am like WTF is this rubbish. At least IT Crowd and Peep Show makes up for it I guess, but still miss the classics like Father Ted.

What I have really been enjoying lately is Russell Howard's Good News on BBC3 and Celebrity Juice on ITV2. Both really funny.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:45 am

I really liked him on Mock the Week and was disappointed when he left. I was looking forward to his show and was actually bored of it very quickly. I wasn't fussed about the content, he just wasn't as funny as I was anticipating. It reminded me of when the pub landlord got his own show, and flatlined.
I think he has overcooked the "controversial", some of his funniest stuff was the normal stand up stuff at the beginning. The sketches were pretty cringe worthy though. Maybe if he gets a second series, he'll knock off these rough edges.
It's a shame, I really enjoy comedians with a dead pan sense of humour.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:05 am

I'm a fan, but he isn't half struggling for fresh material right now. I have NEVER seen a comedian recycle as much as he does.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:16 am

^ Nail on head; time for some new stuff, please, Frankie! And please, stick to stand up, or at least get some other writers in for the sketches.

Am I the only one to be reminded of the huge stink Chris Morris kicked up with his awesome paedophilia special on Channel 4? :o

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:31 am

r0jaws wrote:I really liked him on Mock the Week and was disappointed when he left. I was looking forward to his show and was actually bored of it very quickly. I wasn't fussed about the content, he just wasn't as funny as I was anticipating. It reminded me of when the pub landlord got his own show, and flatlined.
I think he has overcooked the "controversial", some of his funniest stuff was the normal stand up stuff at the beginning. The sketches were pretty cringe worthy though. Maybe if he gets a second series, he'll knock off these rough edges.
It's a shame, I really enjoy comedians with a dead pan sense of humour.
+1 on every point.

I thought he was a breath of fresh air on MTW, but after waiting for his own series, it got old very quickly.
Thoughts and prayers.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:51 am

Sel Feena wrote:
Am I the only one to be reminded of the huge stink Chris Morris kicked up with his awesome paedophilia special on Channel 4? :o
The difference of course being that the Brass Eye satire actually had a point to it and was bloody funny! Neither of which I've found much when I've seen Boyle on anything.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

supermario

Post by supermario » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:09 am

I've laughed a few times but been offended (and that takes a lot) about the same. Too many of the same jokes.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:I have NEVER seen a comedian recycle as much as he does.
Peter Kay's a sod for that. He's been dining on "Garlic Bread" for YEARS, releasing a mish-mash of old material in several different packages. Fingers crossed he won't milk his recent material for the next 5 Christmases. (I don't like Peter Kay either, but a few of my friends do, and whilst we may differ on our sense of humour, I don't want to see them ripped off)

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:10 pm

I forgive him because of his fingers, though (and the rest of him)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:07 am

Watched the first episode and thought it was utter, utter $hite.

Thought he was ok on Mock The Week, but his own show is dire.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 am

He can't think on his feet that well - have you seen him on Argumental? The flip-flop round... he can't do it! He falls back on his stand-up and it bears little relevance to the topic. He IS funny, but he definitely has his limits.